• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

HF54 with ram assist

JasonS

Yes and yes.
There were two reasons for the custom arm:

1) The stock 5 tom steering cylinder is too long for off the shelf rod ends.

2) There are only two off the shelf rod ends that fit the threads of the steering cylinder. The smaller of which is not rated for the force capable of being exerted by the steering cylinder. The larger one is capable but a is of a larger series.

Keep in mind that this is a steering system and you need to do your due diligence for safety.

JasonS

JasonS, do you by any chance know the bore and length of stroke of the 5 ton steering cylinder?
At one point, I had the force calculated from the bore and power steering pressure but I am not able to find it. I think that the requirement is 8" for full travel.
The threads on the end of the slave cylinder are 0.875 -18NF and the rod end that I used was a Ford D8NN3B539AB which is intended as a power steering cylinder end for farm tractors.
If the parts would have allowed (strength and length), I would have used the stock arm.

emeralcove

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it is worth, I found a site that has a cylinder "calculator" that with the bore, rod diameter and pump PSI will give you the push and pull force in lbs. and Kgs of a given cylinder. Now I need to find the force developed by the steering box @ 1500 PSI so I can find a cylinder that will closely match the steering box performance specs. It also seems possible to purchase a cylinder, new, built to the needed specs for about the same or a little less than prices I am finding on a used 5 ton steering ram. As I learn more I will share it here for anyone that may be following this thread. If anyone already has information on the steering force produced by the HF54 steering box for left and right if it is different, I would appreciate those specs.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks