• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Looking for a welding trailer

03sxviper

Hello everyone, I'm new here and I'm posting from Saskatchewan, Canada.

I have been interested in the trailers such as m101a2,m116a3 etc.

I am still learning the difference between the models and trying to navigate my way around the forum to learn. I haven't seen too many of those trailers here in Canada, the ones that I have seen they are asking a lot for them compared to what i see them selling for in the US.

I would really like to have one to mount my welder and equipment/tools onto. My equipment weighs approximately 2000lbs.

So any advice or tips would be appreciated in finding the right trailer for me. I know I can build a trailer but its more cost efficiently to look for a good used one first.

Thanks.

tobyS

I bought a Ford Ranger rear clip and put on a long tongue to put my Hobart portable in it. I lay a 330 cu ft oxygen next to it and mounted a 20 lb lp at the front tongue. It was too high at first and not stable cornering so I had to change the axle to under-slung. That helped a lot and it's a compact rig. Truck rear clips are cheap and can be painted green (booooo).

My point being, anything you get from military is high up and if you use it with a pickup, may be unstable in corners.

I'm working on using an M105 bed and changing the frame and axle making it about 10" lower. The 8 lug (7-10 k lbs) Dexter axle is the same bolt pattern as hummer wheels/tires and can be under-slung, bringing it's height down and widening it's stance to prevent roll-over. That makes it close to the height and width of a 1101 but with a bit more room, in my case, has electric brakes. 105's are common. And you have a dolly/fame left for another use.

tobyS

1101 or 105 or whatever....get rid of the flat roof that ponds water.

98G....yep, look like it sits level with a couple hundred lbs. Nice truck too. Are safety chain connections up under, or at this point, when the picture was taken, had you welded them on?

We may have had the conversation about the way higher trailer loads like to roll. A rear clip of a dually would be real nice (of course with a 105 on top of it), would keep roll to a minimum. I have one from an F350 and it's one of my best tracking, would make a great welders toolbox.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had intended the mount extensions that extend beyond the bumper to double as safety chain grab points using 1" shackles. My dimensions were off a bit.

As a result I wrap my safety chains around the mounts between the bumper and the frame of the truck. The bumper mounts to the truck via 2x2 1/4" wall square tubing which is in turn welded to 3/8" plate which bolts to the truck frame via 3 grade 8 bolts on each side.

The hitch receiver is level and in line between the frame rails which removes twisting forces that would be applied by simply using an extended pintle riser.

Of course the downside is i would have to use a drop hitch to tow just about any civvy trailer, but i practically never tow anything besides military trailers.

tobyS

Being up high has advantages for military trailers.

I started a bit lower. My 12' dump trailer is really low and at the max width. 2 5/16" ball. 3/4 ton truck.

Right now I have the pintle in and the 105 I'm delivering is about a 30 degree angle. Better that than big moment arm on the Reese, for 20 mile, empty.

DeadParrot

With a custom hitch and civilian rims and tires, a M1101 will just about sit level with a pickup. If you plan on welding on the M1101, keep in mind it is mostly aluminum. The hitch on my PU was welded straight off the frame and a notch cut out of the top of the bumper. The design weight limit on the 1101/1102 is 4200lbs but the 1101s are placarded to 3400lb due to limitations of the designated military tow vehicle. This can be an advantage as a lot of DMV/DOT trailer regulations change for trailers over the 3000~3500 range.

Trailer2.jpgTrailer1.jpg

03sxviper

Thanks guys for all the input. How high are the tailgates from the ground in the down position? I have to compensate for how much the trailer will sag with 2000lbs. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434730650.658524.jpgYou see my welder is built on a custom skid and when its in the back of my truck i have a work table that drops down. Right now I'm comfortable at 37.5".... Building a custom bumper was something i wanted to do later for the truck, and if I have to I will.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434736303.948400.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1434736370.800479.jpg

Last edited:

tobyS

That's about the height of my frame, dexter axle and hummer tires that I made to set a 105 bed on. I notice DP has replaced the 37" with normal trailer size, to lower it. That makes the 1101 a bit lower, but would be a heavy load. He is carrying a full size portable welder.

I stand by my suggestion of using a dually frame and axle, even a bed, since it would match his truck nice and be at reasonable level.

Sometimes mixing civy trucks and military trailers may not make the best setup, especially at 70 mph on the highway.

03sxviper

I like it maxtor, looks like a tidy setup. Been looking at this one....http://www.silvereaglemfg.com/military/flatdeck.shtml
The LTT-F looks to be what I'm looking for in weight and size.

Why are the trailers de-rated so much for speed? Is it the pintle hitch, bigger tires causing to much heat for the bearings?
A lot of highway driving isn't much of a concern. I basically don't use the welder enough as it is but I want it for the odd job that comes up. I thought about a pickup box/frame trailer combo. But I seen to many dually boxes with busted fibreglass flares and I don't like how the duallys catch rocks between the wheels. I want a tuff trailer that can take a hit and not look like a truck box full of dents. I know my car haul trailer i smashed all the lights out at least 3x Allready lol. If I need the welder for extended work I will use my crane and put it in the back of the truck. Im basically think I'm looking for something like a m1102, i just realized it would be neat to cover it up as well when not in use. if I cant find it before winter I will build something.

Last edited:

maxtor

I have three m116a3 trailers. One is stock, one has been altered by lowering the fenders and moving them outward, plus replacing the wheels with shorter tires.
stock = 45.5 inches between wheel wells.
altered= 64 inches.

003.jpg001.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks