• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38 Dana 25 Pinion outer bearing shim shoulder

Misdemeanor

My Ring and pinion are badly worn so I got a new one the other day. Same PN 18396 and same manufacture - Salisbury.

My problem is the shoulder is different that the shims rest on and the over length is shorter for the outer bearing and yoke. I think there is a spacer or some kind of bushing that is should be used with this design but I am not familiar with it so I thought I would reach out see what others might have experienced. Any advise is appreciated.
pinion difference.jpg

Misdemeanor

I think I have figured it out but I am still open to comments. I found this part...https://www.willysjeepparts.com/Ring_And_Pinion.htm

Part number 639968 pinion spacer.

I found this data on http://buyaircraftparts.com/part-number/639968. It sounds like the right part but it is usually called out for rear axles not the front. I ordered one and will follow up on if it works or not. Strange that this pinion with the same PN requires a spacer. Maybe it was a later design change.

[h=2]639968 Characteristics[/h]
Body inside diameter1.3770 inches minimum and 1.3870 inches maximum
Body outside diameter1.6780 inches minimum and 1.6980 inches maximum
Corner shapeSquare all corners
Overall length2.1820 inches minimum and 2.1920 inches maximum
MaterialSteel overall
Style designator17c solid, plain, no outside flanges

Misdemeanor

Just got the spacer in today. It looks like its the correct fit. Posting a few pictures of the pinion with the spacer and the old pinion for reference.

O.L. seems correct with the inner bearing pressed in place. I think this is a design improvement. The shims now have more surface area to land on. I will assemble this week end and confirm the alignment but at this point I see no reason why this would work out.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks