• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal Magnets's M211 teardown and future rebuild.

Transmission I.D.

To answer your question on transmission I.D. and bellhousing.....look here. I double checked to make certain I am right, and this is what was installed in place of the automatic. As for bellhousing, I believe it's a civilian truck bell from a 270 engine. Starter is unknown at this time. Hope this helps.

[h=1]Money![/h][h=2]Having issues diagnosing problems with your SM465 GM 4 Speed manual transmission we can help.[/h]
Below you will find a detailed parts list for the SM465 manual transmission that includes complete rebuilt transmissions, bearing rebuild kits with and without synchro rings, seals, small parts kits, bushings, individual bearings, hub slider, synchro rings, forks, gears and shafts. Also available are bearing retainers, shift components and small parts. If you need more information or cannot find the parts you need give us a call, if you would like to save money, ask about our good take out parts (GTO), they are inspected and guaranteed.You can use our Online shopping cart, just double click the part number and see additional information, add to cart or proceed to check out. If you need more information or cannot find the parts you need give us a call toll free 888-824-2014, if you would like to save money, ask about our good take out parts (GTO), they are inspected and guaranteed.We have a large inventory of rebuilt SM465 Manual Transmissions plus transmission parts. Our factory rebuiltre-manufactured transmissions are dyno tested before leaving the factory, ensuring the highest quality, We offer a no hassle 12 month warranty, performance guaranteed. The​
Search by Year, Make, and Model​

SM465 is a four speed, RWD or 4WD transmission. The SM465 is a Muncie engineering design, this transmission is a top loader, tower shifter with a non synchronized granny low 1st gear. 2nd through 4th gear uses brass syncro rings, bushings are used under all gears on the main shaft. 3rd and 4th gear are the only gears removable from the counter shaft. The SM465 was installed in both light and heavy duty applications, the case is cast iron with PTO covers on each side. This transmission has two different top covers, cast iron was used from 1968 to 1987, aluminum top covers were installed between 1988 and 1991. The SM465 was used by General Motors starting in 1967. We also offer upgrades for your SM465 including:​
  • Upgrade for 3rd gear on main shaft and slider to prevent popping out of gear.
Select this link to see what models that used this 4 Speed transmission.​
[h=2]Free SM465 5 Manual Transmission Speed Parts Illustration[/h]

Below we provide a SM465 parts illustrations (2 pages) to assist you with the correct identification of the parts you need. Select the parts you require from the following list and give us a call. One of the most common problems is rough bearing failure noise coming from the front of the transmission clutch area. This is generally caused by pilot bearing failure that generally damages the input shaft.See the complete line of products that we offer at www.midwesttrans.com. To speak to a Drive Train Expert or to place an order call toll free 888-824-2012!​
[h=2]Need Stronger Parts?[/h]Midwest Transmission can Cryogenic Treat and shaft or gear. This cryogenic treatment will add 30% in component strength. Call 888-824-2012 for a quote.

ApplicationsModel Years
Chevrolet Blazer, Suburban, Pickup Truck1967-1991
General Motors GMC Jimmy, Pickup Truck1967-1991
Chevrolet & GMC Van

This is a 1963 G.M.C. 270 engine which I suspect has the same bolt pattern, for the bellhousing or was altered to bolt on to the 302. The flywheel, and clutch was also likely used, but uncertain at this time. I will be working on getting this truck running as soon as possible, now that my boom truck is together.

The last GMC-only straight six was the 270-cubic-inch (4.4 L) 270. It was produced from 1941 through 1963, and was an OHV/pushrod engine. This is a raised-deck engine. The bore was 3.78125".

hopefully this helps us all.
Remember, these are CASTING numbers.

GMC Casting Numbers
GMC
46-54
248, 270
GMC
55-63
GMC
55-63
GMC
52-54
GMC
55-62
GMC
Military

Last edited:
This is the latest truck I bought.

This is the one with the standard trans . It works good, but would work MUCH better with the original trans installed. I barely hauled the crane in first gear, where the other setup would have had no problem. I'll keep you posted on other stuff.

USMC 00-08

I'd like to see some more video of the standard transmission M135 in action so we can really get a good idea of the performance difference.

Asking you do drive the truck around more wouldn't be too much to ask would it. Haha!

Flying Kitchen

21199644_741536322706472_1154950111588852203_o.jpg

This is a picture of a M135 equipped with a "flying Kitchen" used in the Canadian armed forces. My girlfriend worked in this type of setup when she served in the forces. The U.S. didn't go this way.
Just wanted to show how much snow has come down here.Believe it or not, there is a M-135 completely buried next to the old blue truck.(4x4) ...... 20180311_100210.jpg20180311_100158.jpg
It'll be awhile before I can even think of playing around with them, have another full schedule planned for this summer so time will be at the short end of the stick.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We might want to talk about your girlfriend more in private messages because I have questions.

We're looking for the team that fed the troops throughout operation morninglight between 77' and 79'. Was she serving then? That was the operation to go up in northern Alberta and search for a downed Russian satellite.

We have access to parts of one flying kitchen that went on that mission and the thought of saving it is motivating. Did she snap any photos while working in the kitchen?

I'd love to hear about her service so when you're not looking, get her to call me or find some time for a screech sit-down and I'll phone you.

Good to see the snow magnet. Is that a normal amount of snow that would visit 30 years ago? Kinda takes your breath away. Not because it's beautiful but if this short fat guy fell off one of those trucks it looks deep enough to choke me. Be safe out there buddy and get on that drainage early.

Hello plowboy, as for "normal" amount of snow, it's kinda average I would say. Seems like it snowed every second day. Made it miserable to do anything in the basement, because you have to clear the snow first, and that took all weekend to get back to normal. My girlfriend only entered into the services around 1980{boot camp) so the dates that you need info on are too early for her. She said she would help with what she can. She loved her job, but HATED driving the trucks. Who would have thought that manual steering would be a GREAT IDEA for those fully loaded trucks???? Seriously?????? She also was responsible for maintenance on the road,and had to back the trucks (with trailer) into position. She isn't tall, so she labored doing the driving, and said there was no heat either in the truck. That's another thing I can't get out of my mind, why in Canada, no HEATERS-POWER STEERING? That would seem to be a no brain-er to me. Stay in touch boy's, i'm so swamped with work that it's hard to find time to get on here.

Plowboy, are you still around? Just saw ground under my m135 and soon will be moving things around here in a month when ground dries up. Drop a line if you can. Been so busy haven't touched the trucks in a long while.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The country is big and time is small

I haven't been around as much as I'd like so I found a round place closer to you. It's in Alsask Saskatchewan and we're going to book a few weekends this year for visits.
You still traveling with a troop? What's your mission with the trucks this year?

IMG_20180602_201654.jpg

We're researching like mad men to dig up all the CD / EMO Civil Defence and Emergency Measures Organization stories. We're doing oral/ video interviews with veterans and really need everyone to chip in with their CD/EMO/ Military bio so we can save even more stories. Know anyone that drove a deuce that could cook up a mean story? lol.

This is one of the maps I put together and you're one of the first guys to see it. Each one of those yellow dots represents up to 3 radar domes like the one in the picture. Each site was a small city with all the essentials to support people from winter right through mosquito season. The work we went through back in the day so I could follow a yellow dot road right to your place is impressive. That yellow dot on the Sask/AB border near the 49th parallel is our dot. Think about a visit before we're too old to climb stairs.

radarmap.jpg

Here's the map that the Canada War Museum started and is still a work in progress. I can see your house from here and it's just about time to mow your lawn buddy!

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...&ll=48.908706632339644,-97.13891999999998&z=5

feb map.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks