• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal Magnets's M211 teardown and future rebuild.

USMC 00-08

I have two nice spare tire carriers that I don't need. If only we were closer....

I looked on your YouTube channel and don't see but the one video uploaded. No heater video. Maybe that is your problem?

Section8

Here are your asked for pics of the underside of the spare tire carrier.
The added box on the back of my heater unit is a mystery to me. I am going to assume it is a relay of some sort. It doesn't have and wiring going into anything on the main body of the heater. Just two or three wires sticking out.

Attachments

Here are your asked for pics of the underside of the spare tire carrier.
The added box on the back of my heater unit is a mystery to me. I am going to assume it is a relay of some sort. It doesn't have and wiring going into anything on the main body of the heater. Just two or three wires sticking out.
Thank you for the recent pictures, that will help me a lot! As for your heater, I am now certain that is the place your resistor for the speed settings is located. Mine just hangs under the dash by the wiring(will take pictures). I like the way the wiring was tagged when the truck was built, but hate how small the numbers are.They should have made the tags wider.

I have two nice spare tire carriers that I don't need. If only we were closer....

I looked on your YouTube channel and don't see but the one video uploaded. No heater video. Maybe that is your problem?
I haven't got them on YT yet, didn't think they would look right, being so short.I was trying to show them from my Google account, and "dat don't work"!!! So, I'll get that taken care of and post them on YT. I would pick up both carriers from you, but that's a LONGGGGGG drive for me!!!!I'm always looking around this area, but not many examples left intact. I would have everyone crying here with what I've seen,(and NOT done) To at least 4 other trucks! My goal is to get one with all winch apparatus intact and working.I think I'm dreaming though...

Section8

No problem Metal magnet.
Glad I could help out with the pictures. I believe you are right with the relay on the heater. Unfortunatly my rig has next to no wiring in it do to it being saved from the scrap yard. By the time I got it the truck was stripped of all wiring and most of the air lines, the radiator, blown motor, and various other pieces.
I did manage to get 6 black out lights with it though.

No problem Metal magnet.
Glad I could help out with the pictures. I believe you are right with the relay on the heater. Unfortunatly my rig has next to no wiring in it do to it being saved from the scrap yard. By the time I got it the truck was stripped of all wiring and most of the air lines, the radiator, blown motor, and various other pieces.
I did manage to get 6 black out lights with it though.
Well, somebody goofed when they ripped the wiring out. It's steel, no copper in those trucks execept the heater, rad, and air lines.I found that out quick. Was some surprised too.The trouble with the wiring is if it's exposed, it shreds the insulation very easily, so handle the wiring carefully.Any wiring thats taped up, looks like new, but if it's not, watch out.I bought a set of pliers from Snap-on,(blue-point) that have curved ends similar to spark plug wire pliers, but much better. I use them to dis-connect the acorn type connectors, they work perfectly, no matter how stuck they are.:grin:

Section8

Thank you for the offer of help with plumbing the air lines..
What I have planned will be fairly easy though. Unless at a letter date I decide to go full air brakes.
Since most of my brake system is compromised I am going to go Hydro boost, full juice system.
I salvaged a master cylinder off of an international with a GVW of 38000lbs. The main cylinder has a bore of 2 inches. While our stock master cylinders have a bore of 1 and 3/4 inch bore.
I figure if the master cylinder I salvaged can stop a truck with over 10000lbs more weight than our stock systems then that's a good thing.
I will also be using the air system from my M135 to have an on board air supply for tools and such.
Of course all in all I will he dismantling my M135 and swapping parts to a donor truck I have to avoid registration and insurance issues I have come up against.

Newest addition to the collection.a 1955 M135

20150629_175412.jpg20150629_175421.jpg20150629_175429.jpg20150629_175439.jpg20150629_175512.jpg20150630_192544.jpg20150630_192553.jpg20150630_192618.jpg20150629_175421.jpg

This is the latest, and most certainly, not the last addition to the collection. A 1955 CDN M135. Needs work, but hey, this is the first one I have gotten with workable brakes!

Looks awesome. If brakes are your only problem with that beauty then would say you are just shy of a museum piece.
Wanna trade. LoL.
Issues will show on the video I will take of it soon. The engine is missing on one or more cylinders, back window was removed and plexiglassed, lights don't work,etc,but looks like it was generally maintained with some skill.Seeing the chains on it made me very nervous, they have a terrible habit of ripping out brake lines, when not done right. Came with a box of spare parts (mostly all used) and 3 extra complete wheels in the bed,bald as a babys butt. It was not a pleasant experience with this guy, I was very happy to get out of his yard, as soon as possible. This is one day,I will never forget.One last mention, it came with window defrosters.:cool:

Thank you for the offer of help with plumbing the air lines..
What I have planned will be fairly easy though. Unless at a letter date I decide to go full air brakes.
Since most of my brake system is compromised I am going to go Hydro boost, full juice system.
I salvaged a master cylinder off of an international with a GVW of 38000lbs. The main cylinder has a bore of 2 inches. While our stock master cylinders have a bore of 1 and 3/4 inch bore.
I figure if the master cylinder I salvaged can stop a truck with over 10000lbs more weight than our stock systems then that's a good thing.
I will also be using the air system from my M135 to have an on board air supply for tools and such.
Of course all in all I will he dismantling my M135 and swapping parts to a donor truck I have to avoid registration and insurance issues I have come up against.
You will need the original, or as close to the same G.P.M. the pump you are going to install on your project truck.I have done this before, when asked on how to "reboost" an old case loader.I ditched the vaccume setup, put a hydroboost from a 2000 chevy astro.Guy just loves it.It installed very easy, with few kinks, So if you need assistance, i'm all ears.(but not Spock).

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was going to warn you about that! These are herd animals and will not stay in the pasture alone for very long. That one looks like someone loved it like a prize winning bull. Is the paint really that good or are you just a great photographer? Looks sweet!!

I can't read the date on the data plate and have not seen a September truck yet. Is that a 31/ 8.....or a 9?

Hood, Roof, steering wheel, fuel tank and muffler are the 5 rare pieces so you've got a gem. wow.

View attachment 567643View attachment 567644

This is the latest, and most certainly, not the last addition to the collection. A 1955 CDN M135. Needs work, but hey, this is the first one I have gotten with workable brakes!

Last edited:
Hopefully that is an easy fix. The truck looks like it is in good shape.

Do you plan on leaving it that color or are you going to go with a military style paint job?
WELL,,,,,,for now it's ok, but I want it to look like a true military vehicle, not like it was stolen from the museum. I have my work cut out for me there, I'll be sanding for YEARS....And no, that's the way she looks, nothing special from me, just used my phone to capture the moment.But the killer thing is the guy running the platform, hauled the other 2 trucks for me!!!I call, he haul. Best solution. $150.00 delivered.8)

I was going to warn you about that! These are herd animals and will not stay in the pasture alone for very long. That one looks like someone loved it like a prize winning bull. Is the paint really that good or are you just a great photographer? Looks sweet!!

I can't read the date on the data plate and have not seen a September truck yet. Is that a 31/ 8.....or a 9?

Hood, Roof, steering wheel, fuel tank and muffler are the 5 rare pieces so you've got a gem. wow.
I know,,,,you see one, and first thing you have four looking at you. (well,,3 and a half), but I was after this truck for at least 15 years, and the time I first talked to him, wasn't that pleasant an experience. So when I was told he was selling, I rememberd the last time we spoke, and said"ok, your asking for it, but no guts, no glory!" A friend I brought (pestered) into coming with me was amazed at how ........bad .....moody.... he was. As for appearance, he must have painted it two days before, because my garage smells like fresh paint. Hood is ok, roof great, steering wheel, great, fuel tank repaired,(and a story with that one!) muffler, and exhaust all not great. Some lights work, no big deal. I now need TWO convoy lights complete with plates.I checked the build date, it's 31 08 55. I'm going to make a YT video, and show more of it for those interested.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been wanting to ask, what is the difference between a M211, and a XM211? Is there such a thing as a XM135?
I always thought there was only 1 answer for this so I searched "xm211 difference" and found an explanation with additional info......

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?101969-xm211-vs-m211

The first info I learned was that it was an Early truck.....or experimental. Now I learn that the trucks had an early frame with modifications....cool.

Did you say you bought more trucks?....... I read about 2, now there's more? You got it bad! The only cure is a bigger truck! You'll need a 5 ton. :lol:

:tigger:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks