• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal Magnets's M211 teardown and future rebuild.

I need a test stand. Good video. The engine sounds good!
If anyone needs the dimentions for the stand, let me know, I'll gladly draw it it and show it here. When I started it and then revved it up, it never moved at all. Nice and solid. The farthest you could tear the engine down is the top of the block only, at the current height the oil pan is above the bottom channel support, but if it (the engine) were lifted about 6" more, you could do everything right there. Would be very helpful. As for wheels, mine were salvaged from an old wheeled cart, but as long as they support about @250# each, you're good to go.It was not hard to push around, and doesn't take up much space at all. The rad support hookup is the finishing touch though, just as it's meant to hookup when you remove the engine/trans unit. I found the best place to mount the gas tank was here also, everything as neat(safe) as possible. As for the engine, someone played with the carb, so i got a crash course in that, also, someone bypassed the resistor in the distributor and hooked 24 volts directly to the coil.....burnt the points, and causes BIG backfires.Once sorted out, she was running fine,and even the water pump didn't leak. So I will be reassembling the M135 later on and make this truck my "yard dog". i
I will be modifing the brakes, and other stuff just for the yard.

USMC 00-08

If anyone needs the dimentions for the stand, let me know, I'll gladly draw it it and show it here.
I would like a drawing with dimensions of the stand please.

Seeing that unburnt fuel flame coming out the pipe explains the blown out mufflers. :p
Yep. I had one blow out when my condenser failed. Luckily I was able to have the muffler welded back up.

Engine/trans test stand material and measurments.

Yep. I had one blow out when my condenser failed. Luckily I was able to have the muffler welded back up.
Ok, no problem. All material is stuff I picked up from local scrapyard. I will post this info tonight, and will also be adding a video on the latest 1955 M135, (on picture thread). I keep meaning to ask this, but forget to, so since I am at it, does anyone know what the production numbers were for these trucks,in total? Wiki. doesn't show,or I'm not looking in right place.Thanks.

Engine test stand

20150711_203646.jpg20150711_203729.jpg20150711_203701.jpg

Please forgive the rough sketches, and I didn't include any wheels, you all have different needs for that, and would put whatever you have. NOTE... IF you want to be able to remove the oil pan(s) add about 6" more to the uprights to get them off. BUT... you will need to put extra bracing in place for more stability. These sketches will build you a good sturdy stand,and you will build it as you see fit. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

USMC 00-08

That is really neat! Could you post up several pictures of the stand in addition to the video and the drawings? I'd like to study the pictures along with the drawings.

Last edited:
Engine test stand

That is really neat! Could you post up several pictures of the stand in addition to the video and the drawings? I'd like to study the pictures along with the drawings.
I will do that today. Never thought of it at the time or I would have done so. One thing I did as I was putting it all together, I placed the complete engine/ trans assembly in the stand, and then welded the rear mounts in place. Made for easy assembly. Again, I didn't include wheels in the drawing, but recommend at least 8" wheels able to handle estimated weight of @1000 pounds all inclusive . The rear swivel wheel is @ 4 1/2 " in diam. steel. You can tell there's some heavy weight there, when you go to push it around!

Yoke question

I took a look, and yes, someone soldered the end cap to stop a leak. Not a big issue, easy to fix.

Can anyone tell me what the number of trucks produced was for the M135, and M211? I am curious to know. Thanks in advance.

20150714_231527.jpg20150714_231519.jpg

M211 salvage

I thought I had lost these pictures, seems I had forgotten I backed them up. These were taken of the "scrap yard M211 " and wish I had gotten the last 20% or so of the truck. 20141028_220709.jpg20141030_220617.jpg20141028_225633.jpg20141028_225629.jpg20141028_220727.jpg20141028_220557 (1).jpg20141028_173826.jpg

Sad part is, I missed on two trucks two years earlier, in the same salvage yard, because I didn't have any g-749 at that time. Save a couple parts before crushing, but was too late. Now I buy as they come available.

Attachments

"scrapyard M-211"

I should have also mentioned in the previous pictures, that this unit had all the indications of being a pole setting unit. Like the power companies use to set power poles today, except in 1955, it was a much harder task compared with today's equipment. AND, since I said that, I have pictures of a former pole setting unit that was taken and "bobbed". It is (was?) for sale very recently, the owner allowed me to take pictures, and look it over.I know this truck personally, and the original owner kept it all intact and completely functional, NOT the way it now appears. I very strongly prefer the trucks the way they were built....Nuff said......
20150827_113432.jpg20150827_113410.jpg20150827_113402.jpg20150827_113342.jpg20150827_113338.jpg20150827_113332.jpg20150827_113310.jpg20150827_113258.jpg20150827_113247.jpg20150827_113237.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Something about that round switch attached to the steering wheel that makes me twitch. I'll buy the next round of steak and potatoes if you can get a peak at the numbers stamped into the side of the frame behind the wheel.

I know a guy that drilled wells with an M135 pole setting, auger style truck. I'll show him the pictures and I'm thinking he'll remember the big winch on the front of the bobbed deuce and some type of 'air switch' near the wheel.

Appreciate the pictures, I'll need council and medication but I'll never look at a slightly beat M135 the same way again.

Salvaged m-211

Something about that round switch attached to the steering wheel that makes me twitch. I'll buy the next round of steak and potatoes if you can get a peak at the numbers stamped into the side of the frame behind the wheel.

I know a guy that drilled wells with an M135 pole setting, auger style truck. I'll show him the pictures and I'm thinking he'll remember the big winch on the front of the bobbed deuce and some type of 'air switch' near the wheel.

Appreciate the pictures, I'll need council and medication but I'll never look at a slightly beat M135 the same way again.
The "round thing" next to the steering wheel, is the 24v, military version of today's trailer brake controller. With all that was smashed on the cab, that survived intact. I wondered about it too, and once removed saw the various settings you could select. I'll take some detailed pictures and post again. NOTE...only after I salvaged virtually every screw, nut and bolt from this corpse (sorry), I regretted I had cut the cab apart to get to the interior. It had been "handled" by a pulp loader, (no less than 5 times!) and was the reason for the condition. A tag on the dash said"red light is on when stabilizers are down"..This is what clued me into thinking it was possibly a pole setter...When I removed the fuel pump from the tank, and stripped it, I found the brushes completely gone, and then knew what caused the scrapping.A rag was stuffed into the intake, so the owner thought he had a carb problem, and gave up after not finding parts, or was offered to sell the winch and other items, finally disposing the rest for scrap..Oh, and the frame number starts off as 1211.......but there is no plate on the dash.......:( I will NEVER again cut a cab apart no matter how mangled it is, because only after, I came to see how you can still salvage more than you think just unbolting everything possible. Those cabs were meant to be rebuilt piece by piece, and you can pound it all back into shape if only to use as a future pattern. SO PLEASE, think before you cut!!!!:rules:

Future tear down

I just wanted to mention that I haven't forgotten to post stuff on my M-211, I am currently occupied with a project I call "Military Wrecker truck"....( a 1957 4x4 FWD fire truck chassis fitted with a 30.000 pound winch with possibly a M-135 cab and front clip) ,or a 1950 L-110 cab, but either way, it's going to be olive drab all the way!!.As soon as possible, I'll be going at the M-211 project. If you look carefully at the video for the M-135 engine test stand, you will get a glimpse of the "wrecker" project.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks