• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Metal Magnets's M211 teardown and future rebuild.

Latest progress on M207 teardown.

20151116_065158.jpg20151128_163419 (1).jpg20151128_163429.jpg20151128_163509.jpg20151128_163518.jpg20151205_175250.jpg20151205_175308.jpg

I have to say sorry for the video postings, I have a terrible time with doing it with the phone, I will be looking into getting a GO PRO in the near future.Progress will continue again soon.If your looking at the cab and wondering about the funny bracket at the rear, I built that to keep the 3rd chainfall and overhead trolley from banging against the rear wall and roof and damaging it. The dolly wheels work great to move the cab around and keep the cab from laying on the ground. It is one crazy looking setup, but all it the name of less damage to everything as possible.

Section8

Looks great!! Keep up the good work.
Canadian ingenuity at its best!! Love the Dalhousie cab dolly!!!
I am curious as to why there is a latter attached to the drivers side of the cab? Was there a cargo rack on top before?
Totally jealous of your shop to!!

Cab Ladder

M211 as is where is.jpg

This is how my M-207 appeared when I found it in the scrapyard.I didn't check the frame number at that time, and assumed it was a M-211 due to the double rear wheels. Only quite a while later did I discover the true configuration number.I was so focused on getting it to run, I never even looked at the dash plate until later. It had been used to haul wood from private property to sell. It was seized, no brakes whatever, and the front differential was missing the BOTTOM drain plug (and all the oil too!) BUT, I wanted that truck..........BAD! The yard owner said after the deal was made, that he was thinking of removing the ladder, and I said, "nope, as is, where is!" The next truck (1954 M-135) came from a mile farther down the road!!! That fellow had no less than eight of these trucks, and crushed them all but the one I bought. I was told later, the others were far better shape......aua

M-207 teardown.

I haven't done anything lately, was in the hospital for a little over a week, just getting back on my feet now, but still shaky. I'm hoping to do something on the truck possibly next week. Have to take it slow for now. Just posted the work done to date, I wanted to keep the momentum going so things wouldn't get bogged down, but life kinda shows you who's boss! The truck chassis is in real good shape, I need to fabricate a tool to push the front spring pins out of the frame bracket. I tried to press them, but started to spread the frame instead. They are tight!!. I also need to make a tool to remove the rear spring pins. That will be a challenge. I will be taking a pile of pictures of the piping and hose placement, I was able to clean the frame after the cab was removed and it really helps to work at. It should be easy to sandblast. I found a gallon of army O.D. green, so once the frames totally stripped and blasted, I'm all set. My goal is to have the frame ready for this spring and start assembly. It will probably take a year or more to get to the road, but that's fine, It'll be worth it.

The place I have was an old "White Rose" and later on a "Shell" gas station. Many owners later, I bought the location, and the selling point for me was the HUGE basement. 35 feet deep, 48 feet wide, and 12 feet high. Walls are 14 to 16 inches thick and upper floor over 13 inches thick. I call it a bunker. The upstairs garage is 35 feet deep, 28 feet wide and 12 feet high. I build whatever I need to get the job done, and have two home made overhead swinging beams to lift anything I need. But my projects are getting bigger, so I have trouble moving things. All I have to shift things around is an antique Massey Ferguson 711 skidsteer. But better than nothing. I have the "military Wrecker" project to finish so it will do the real heavy stuff outside. I learned later, the worst thing you can do to yourself is to have two really challenging projects on the go at the same time.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've buried more MV friends and wrote more "get well" cards than I'm prepared for this year so will you guys just stop it.........what in Sam's health were you doing in the hospital????

You're making some serious progress and I'm full of bunker envy. In the beginning of the Cold war, from the time the Russians tested the Hydrogen boomer in 49', Canadians were building underground shelters with such secrecy we still don't know where they all were. 16" walls and a foot thick floor could have been put in your place simply for structural design and as a retainer against a slope.....but it's real interesting that we did that design.

We just found out that Alberta had around 19 underground medical facilities built in case of war. It'd be real cool if your place was functionally designed as a fall-out shelter. Do you have the build date on it?

https://www.facebook.com/CanadianCivilDefenceMuseumAsscociation/

Get well buddy and Merry Christmas.

Last edited:

USMC 00-08

Don't over do it. Take time to rest and get better. I spent this evening helping out a friend who injured himself by lifting things a person should not lift. No progress on my truck today. We need you on here... so stay healthy.

Would be neat to find out if your place had a secret purpose early in its life. When I was reading the dimensions of it before I got down to plowboy's post, I was thinking along the same lines as he on the fallout shelter. Seems like overkill for a Shell station, but perfect for working on these trucks. It is just a shame that most of us live so far apart. Tons of M35 and 5 ton guys, but not many of us G749 guys. What I wouldn't give for all of us to get together for a month or two and do nothing but work on our trucks together, learn some new things and do some driving.

Everybody working together.

Don't over do it. Take time to rest and get better. I spent this evening helping out a friend who injured himself by lifting things a person should not lift. No progress on my truck today. We need you on here... so stay healthy.

Would be neat to find out if your place had a secret purpose early in its life. When I was reading the dimensions of it before I got down to plowboy's post, I was thinking along the same lines as he on the fallout shelter. Seems like overkill for a Shell station, but perfect for working on these trucks. It is just a shame that most of us live so far apart. Tons of M35 and 5 ton guys, but not many of us G749 guys. What I wouldn't give for all of us to get together for a month or two and do nothing but work on our trucks together, learn some new things and do some driving.
HEY!!!, you left out the BEER!!!

I was in the hospital for the stupidest thing you can imagine. I somehow got vertigo, and I mean bad vertigo. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack or stroke. I hopped up into a line truck, laid down fast across the drivers seat, and twisted to the right side and reached for a switch.Then there was something like a flash and things started to spin really fast. I asked one of the guy's to get me an ambulance, and spent the next week in the hospital. It's called "Benign displacement vertigo". I can function, but look like I just left a club after last call.. Not fun....:recovry4x4:

I have some good news, I asked at the D.M.V.,about the process of registering my trucks, and the lady was very helpful. So that should be a fairly easy process. By that, I mean not impossible, and straightforward.

As for my shop, it was built sometime around 1959-60. Rebar and cement must have been very cheap, because of the amount of both used. I LOVE the place, had to tear down some, and rebuild right, but worth every penny.I also wish I was closer to you fellows, I'm the only person around this area fixing these trucks, NOT cutting them up. The "BUDDY" system here is ME, MYSELF and I, and my SHADOW . We talk to ourselves (myself), and work out a plan to get it done..:beer:.. Next week, I'm going to start stripping the wiring, piping, and air tanks, see how I do with that. I have to try to get back in my "groove" before returning to work, to reduce the stress.

Thanks for the get well's, I wish you all Merry X-mas, and Happy New Year!!!.

Last edited:
Deuce Parts

Hello guy's. I'm finally getting to do some work after quite the winter. Along the way, I picked up some parts left over from the pole setter truck this fellow had, but sold. Some stuff totally stumps me, but I am certain that there's someone out there that can positively I.D these parts. I also scored a can of MIL spec O.D. green paint. Any help would be much appreciated. I have some pictures to show, if you need closer shots, just shout.20160328_151552.jpg20160328_142631.jpg20160328_142438.jpg20160328_142336.jpg20160328_142318.jpg20160328_142318.jpg 20160328_142308.jpg20160328_142257.jpg20160328_142253.jpg

Attachments

More info

Sorry, some pictures just wouldn't load, and some did twice. I also wanted to mention, I now have my GOPRO, so now I get to REALLY make a mess of things...I'm going to start making some videos on the final part of the frame strip down, so stay tuned.....(oh boy!..get to show off my bald spot...oh well...)20160328_142336 (1).jpg20160328_142233.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 black out

I hear rumors that the troops would pull these off trucks and use them as electrical testers, which is supposed to make them rare. This is the black-out light that mounts inside the back of the G749 frame and points toward the diff. In the Early Canadian Deuces, a white, steel plate was mounted above the diff and lit up for B/O driving. Later, parts of the diff were painted white so the truck in front was easier to see.

Black out G749.jpg

I'm lucky enough to party with a gentleman that ran the auger trucks for a while. I'll see if I can pull him onto a computer to identify those other parts.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is that a Canadian Military only thing? I have never seen one on a truck down here.
Most of the trucks I've seen up here have them. Usually they're tucked up above and beside the hitch, inside the rear cross-member. The B/O plate was mounted to the right side of the rear pumpkin.

It doesn't show up in the electrical schematic or ORD 7 SNL G-749 so we'll need some aged experience to solve it.

Black out lamp.

Is that a Canadian Military only thing? I have never seen one on a truck down here.
I am certain ALL trucks (U.S, and Canadian) had them, but why they were removed I have no idea. That is indeed a black out lamp. It is as was stated earlier, mounted on the top r.h corner of the frame (when standing at the rear of truck)and points to a triangle plate down lower above and to the r.h side of the rear most differential. The very first M135 I owned back in 1986-87, had this and I only found it after my batteries went dead . I had turned the switch on, and when I didn't see any results, forgot it and the batteries died. I looked all over the truck, and then discovered this tiny little spot of light on this plate at the rear of the truck. Now I need the plate to match the light.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks