• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

m38inmaine

I don't have the rear insulated ambulance cover. It seems I got a mix of a ambulance tractor and cargo carrier. I have an original cargo cover that is ripped and I will use it as a pattern to have one made.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is the difference between a Standard tractor and an ambulance tractor?

When you have a new cover made, you going to have red crosses sowed on?

m38inmaine

None really, just the data plate, the ambulance usually has a heater mounted front/rear. It's the carrier that has all the extra ambulance goodies although the bare carrier is identical. I will have a standard cargo cover made, not the ambulance cover. The cargo cover seems to be in short supply.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Alternatively, you could put a radio shelter in the back and use that as an offroad radio truck. I bet that would be great during field day :D

m38inmaine

Thank you for the replies, a couple other people have tried it with a shelter and I guess it really bogs it down. Hopefully when I add coolant there are no surprises. When I get home tonight I will replace the fuel return line and give it another leak test.

Really need to thank Mark:-D and his helper Keith-j for the engine parts, without them it would not have happened. Also Tom who middle manned the head and got me some impossible parts, had it not been for these SS members it would not have been possible.

m38inmaine

Ok, here it is but not too exciting, fenders are off and I still have the de mill punctures to repair which I need it a roller to get to the welding shop, sort of a catch 22 but it should be operational soon I hope.

Attachments

Another Ahab

Ok, here it is but not too exciting, fenders are off and I still have the de mill punctures to repair which I need it a roller to get to the welding shop, sort of a catch 22 but it should be operational soon I hope.
There is no visible rust (not that's apparent anyway).

And, hey, that's pretty exciting. :naner:

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sure is coming along. I have never heard of DEMIL by puncture. Have you seen others DEMILed like that? Question, why did you put the bridge plate on when you haven't painted it yet?

Does it look like it will be at Weare? It doesn't need to be painted, I am sure people will be too intrigued by the vehicle to notice the paint.

There is no visible rust (not that's apparent anyway)
It can't it is aluminum.

m38inmaine

I think it was up to who ever was running the de mil yard that day in 1995, they ripped all the fenders off, crushed the dash/cowl and punched a few holes in the RH side with a forklift. They never touched any part of the carriers. The dash and fenders are easy to replace, the puncture on the side is a bit tougher as it has to be welded. Bridge plate for bling while I'm working on it. It should be at Weare, might not be painted though, will see how much time I have left but that won't prevent me from bringing it.

m38inmaine

Checked the fuel lines for leaks with the deleted cold start, no leaks good to go. Parts required to delete the cold start assembly are a 1/8 pipe cap and a 1/4 pipe cap. Replaced the connector on the temp sender and oil sender, these connectors seem to break the wire insulation right where it enters the connector. While the engine was running I checked the gauges, had 30+ psi oil pressure and ammeter was on the high side of green. Bilge pump fires up, carrier stop light tested good, instrument lights good but no wipers. Checked for power at the wipers, no power. Checked the circuit breaker for the wiper circuit and found it was open. Never had one of these go bad so I had to order up a replacement. Tomorrow I will fill it up with water and container of engine/radiator flush and let it run up to temp. The on to bleeding the brakes.

Attachments

Last edited:

Another Ahab

While the engine was running I checked the gauges, had 30+ psi oil pressure and ammeter was on the high side of green. Bilge pump fires up, carrier stop light tested good, instrument lights good but no wipers. .
There's a bilge pump!?

Does that drain the cab area AND the bed, both (or where exactly is the bilge in a Goat)?

combat32

The whole bottom of the hull is the bilge, the pump sits right under the engine, while you have it out is the time to work on it.

Does not drain the trailer, but it makes a great mobile pool!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks