• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

m38inmaine

Yes, I have a 28' gooseneck trailer I will be bringing it on. I am missing the carrier antenna mount and carrier cargo cover, I think I have all the other parts. I am in need of tires as well, mine have very good tread but are heavily dry rotted on the sidewalls. My dream parts list is a winch kit but I can't swing the expense right now.

Jericho

I have an antenna mount on my Chevy 400 small block powered goat , would be easy enough to template and fab. use a 10 x 12 heavy gi tarp for the carrier, I recently picked up an end tarp, NOS to use as a pattern to make more, haven't fitted it yet, Would be more than happy to lend it to you to have another made. AF was never big Tactical vehicle or spares buyers, we used what ever was available and we could scrounge from the army . saw many antenna configurations in my time. I got new tires from J Capel, on this site a few years ago , not sure if he has any more, I also got a complete winch kit from another member, along with brand new cab soft doors , he was very helpful and a good price, The core winch is available for a couple of hundred on E along with the PTO and shaft, Brackets would be an easy fab, I plan to bring one of mine that has a kit on it if I can find enough drivers. Ill find you there. Was going to trailer it behind my M 109 a3 on an M 1061,Truck will pull it but it hits around 14000 lbs between the trailer and goat, not sure I want to drive it that far, do haul it local ,but, I like my 109, hate to abuse it. Would like to get some measurements and pics of carrier seat folding part and brackets if you have them installed. let me know if you need any small stuff and ill look around. Good luck finishing up , Andy

Another Ahab

I have an antenna mount on my Chevy 400 small block powered goat , would be easy enough to template and fab. use a 10 x 12 heavy gi tarp for the carrier, I recently picked up an end tarp, NOS to use as a pattern to make more, haven't fitted it yet, Would be more than happy to lend it to you to have another made. AF was never big Tactical vehicle or spares buyers, we used what ever was available and we could scrounge from the army . saw many antenna configurations in my time.
We prided ourselves in the Seabes for "finding" whatever we needed when needed (kind of a cultural Seabee thing).

But I never knew you all scrounged in the Air Force.

We always just kind of figured the Air Force always had everything they needed, and likely even more than they needed (based on our stays in AF BEQ's). Who knew?

m38inmaine

I have a pair of NOS end curtains so all set there, and I have a torn cargo cover to make one from if I go that route. Mine has the folding seats installed, I had a spare set but sent them to Mark in Texas. I would love to get a look at that dash mounted radio.

Jericho

LMAO, yes BAQ was nice. Everything was geared to aircraft, we were always way behind the Army in personal gear, I went to the first gulf war with a 1958 steel pot helmet and liner, we still issued FLAK VEST from the Viet Nam Era until well into the ninties, and most of our common gear came from the Army, We had very few tactical vehicles, , M48 tanks scrounged from the Army combat engineers in Germany for EOD, Gama Goats (borrowed) after turn in by the army for TACP along with M109 a3 and 4s . I only remember the BIG buy of M 35s with dual brakes as a big purchase, most of our vehicles were very specific and were seldom used by any other branch, We used more bread trucks as aircraft LAUNCH trucks than anything else. they are maintained very well and we were still using Dodge pick ups made in the 60s when I retired in 94, our tugs and tractors were many times twenty to forty years old, Some of our snow plows for runway plowing were 1950s vintage OSH KOSH and had been rebuilt many times. The worst thing that has happened is the GSA fleet movement that results in bunches of WHITE vans and cars , and no real motor pool on the scale we had.

m38inmaine

It appears that there are two styles of wiper arms and blades, old-new according to PM magazine and the TM. The old style has a closed style of arm socket and just slides over the wiper motor spline, the new has a open socket and slides over the spline and shaft secured by a 5/16 fine thread nut.

My motors are the new style and as I only had one arm I ordered one on ebay, this new style seems to be the only one available, atleast what I could find. There are also blades on ebay for sale, of course these are for the old style of arm. I ordered the blades anyway not knowing what the difference was. It turns out the blades are the same, the new style arm however has a 1/4 wide saddle requiring an adapter to hold the blade in the wider saddle, just a spacer really. With some NSN to commercial part number searching I found that an Anco 57-28 is the correct blade for either arm as it comes with the necessary spacer if needed. It is also a nice flat black color to match a tactical vehicle.

Attachments

Jericho

Believe it or not The Postal Service LLVs still use the goat wind shield wipers they are just modifiying them now, Would love to have you look at my radio install kit, But its on the goat I plan to leave at home. Iam just an hour away from the meet and on your way to Maine. You are welcome to drop in any time, I live a bit remote, but nothing a truck cant handle may have some odds and ends for a goat , need to clean out my garage LOL

combat32

No, just old school fire extinguishers, these were used in a lot of military vehicles, I was on the M3 Bradley during most of my time in the Army, there are two mounted in the right rear of the crew compartment.

I can remember seeing them on other vehicles.

m38inmaine

It is fully charged, CF3BR which is Halon, has a ozone depleting warning sticker. This is the NSN correct BII for the goat. I believe Halatron replaced it later on, suppose to be more friendly. Tom, I have an extra top if you need one.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks