• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So which one of you guys is goat of the mountain????? Just wondering...great build so far....So when they are done, are you guys going to have a goat poker run???
We're spread out all over the country (ME, TN, AR, TX, and WA). I have a friend in Austin that has one as well so he's a bit closer but they're fairly heavy and fairly long to schlep around.

dirtdobber

We're spread out all over the country (ME, TN, AR, TX, and WA). I have a friend in Austin that has one as well so he's a bit closer but they're fairly heavy and fairly long to schlep around.
You got that right. So far I have not had the pleasure of trying to haul one. I paid a buck fifty and had mine delivered.

combat32

Mark I had a good look at it today, it is welded in, gonna have to come up with a way to cut the welds without tearing anything up, sawzall may be the ticket.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark I had a good look at it today, it is welded in, gonna have to come up with a way to cut the welds without tearing anything up, sawzall may be the ticket.
There's 2 of us named Mark working on Goats so you're going to have to start getting specific. I'm sure he realizes who you're talking to but I was scratching my head for a minute trying to figure out what I needed that was welded :)

m38inmaine

Yeah, too many Marks. Great talking with you on the phone Tom, always enjoy talking about past military times. I think you are correct, I tried using a spot weld drill and had some success but at times the spot weld it tough to find. If you want a spot weld drill I can send one.

m38inmaine

OK, and it may be prudent to wait on the fenders as the "new" parts machines you have word of may have better one, save you a lot of bolt removal. However that air duct will be very welcome any time and I greatly appreciate your efforts removing it.

combat32

Of course Army I was a 19 Delta 40, did 21 years and some change, still miss my food not tasting like diesel fuel and grease!

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Of course Army I was a 19 Delta 40, did 21 years and some change, still miss my food not tasting like diesel fuel and grease!
11B, 19E, and 19K. After active duty I decided you walked too much in the Infantry and switched to Armor so I could ride everywhere. I was in the 5th and 9th IDs while active. I guess I was so important that after I left they deactivated the Divisions.

combat32

I was in 5th mech too, 2AD(twice), 11th ACR ,197 BDE, 4th ID, Did a tour as a recruiter(sucked), and wound up as a OC/T in an ACRC unit training NG units till I retired.

m38inmaine

Not too much accomplished today, pretty wiped from work. Removed what was left of the LH fenders and cleaned out most of the debris in the tractor tub. Found a hull plug and a few pieces of hardware. Tried turning the engine over with a socket on the engine pulley but I just can't get in there, looks like I will have to pull the radiator to get at it. I planned on sending the radiator out to be cleaned any way.

Attachments

combat32

Try turning the motor with a socket on the camshaft pulley, on the left in this pic. Easier to reach than the crankshaft, got mine to turn by hand(breaker bar) I think it was just my clutch plate that was stuck.

Attachments

m38inmaine

I tried the cam pulley today and I don't have the correct size socket, the one I have is just a bit too big. I tried moving it and I can see it moving but not really turning. Will need to get the correct socket.

I noticed today my throttle cable was missing, went to the clean out parts pile and found it. It appears some one needed my good one and tossed their junker into the tractor tub. I can see where the attachment point bolts are loose and the cotter pins are straightened out. At least they put the hardware back. Another part to find.....

Attachments

m38inmaine

Finished cleaning out the hull today, found a few treasures down there, c rat spoon, horn button cover, stubby screwdriver, misc. hardware and some type of cover with a sight glass. Removed the old engine cover hinge, directional wand and control box and rotten water pump belts. Extra to my needs for the goat pool is a seat pin w/chain, brake boot and shift boot. Happy 4th.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks