• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow that a whole lot of $#!+. Maybe pull the oil fill cap and insert the hose from the shop vac into the exhaust. And have a couple of new bags at the ready.

m38inmaine

I sucked out a lot more from the manifold last night, there was even what appeared to be roots growing in there, before you know I think a tree would have sprouted. I have the manifold nuts soaking in Kroil and Ill take them off tonight and see what evil lurks behind it.

m38inmaine

Here are the pictures that tell the story of the stuck engine. All because a critter crawled up into the exhaust and made a root cellar. You can see where the debris leaked down into the cylinders, #3 was the worst with a big hunk of nasty, looks like a domed piston. So now the engine had to come out, re sleeve etc. The Gama Goat, the gift that just keep on giving. OH yeah, and that head is one heavy mother by yourself!

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

Well here ya go Mark, got everything but the bulkead behind the driver position, for the life of me can't figure out how to get it out, probably the gas wrench is the only way and I didn't have one today. The console only has the panel on the dvr side, I had to do some upsidedown cuttin to get her out, hopefully it will work for you. The other parts are bent a bit but should straighten out, except the headlight rings which look perfect:smile:

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you run across another one of the blackout light guards I need one. I've got one off of a 151 (3 bolt) at the moment that is good from a distance but is obviously incorrect once you get close.

m38inmaine

Wow Tom, that looks great, I needed some good news. That center air duct was weighing on my mind as it's not a separate part. Hopefully by now the blood has drained back where it belongs. Again, many thanks and a great job.

m38inmaine

Found these in the yard when I arrived home from work today, another piece to the puzzle. I think some one here needed a horn bracket, have an extra now. Also worked on some parts Tom sent me and need to get those pictures posted as well. Nice to see a lot of activity on the Goat forum.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Pulled the engine today, not too bad but I did catch a couple of lines that still needed to be un hooked just in time. I don't have enough room in my garage to have the engine on the floor so I have it in the back of the carrier and pushed it in nose first. Will make working on the engine a little tougher but I had no extra space. No fancy steel stands, a pallet, railroad ties and 4x4's but it works and is solid.

Attachments

m38inmaine

Yesterday I drained the engine oil and removed all the pan bolts which came out easy, let it drain over night. Today I found the pan had taken itself off and was lying on the pallet, ok one less thing to do.
After a lot of looking over I dove into removing the twin oil pick ups, a lot going on here. After a half hour or so had all that off, removed the rod cap nuts off number 3 the worst looking hole. Plan A was to weld a plate with a captive nut and use the slide hammer to pull the sleeve, well I guess the sleeve is probably cast iron or such and my mig won't weld to it. So plan B I may try and use a air chisel/hammer with an extended rod to push it out from the bottom. Perhaps some one will chime in with a better idea.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks