• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Operation "URGENT RESTORATION"

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you use a jack, and a bar/rod and the weight of the engine to ease it up?
Maybe a bit of tension, then tap and heat from the top?
Good luck.

m38inmaine

Tried the jack, all it did was lift the engine off the stand. Plan B is to take the engine back off this weekend, lay it on it's side and have more room to work with a large hammer and bar. On a more positive note the oil drain valve arrived today, this will make oil changes much easier, $20 shipped.

Attachments

wsucougarx

I ordered the same one. Did you get yours out of Canada? I've got the filter and 9 qts of Rotella T1 just waiting. Finding a single wt diesel motor oil was the biggest challenge. Seems no one carries single wt with the needed CF2 rating.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've got the filter and 9 qts of Rotella T1 just waiting. Finding a single wt diesel motor oil was the biggest challenge. Seems no one carries single wt with the needed CF2 rating.
I was able to get it at Walmart. Of course the filters were a different story.

m38inmaine

Plan B was a success, tipped the engine on it's side and with a long bar tapped the sleeve assy. right out. Too bad they were stuck, the sleeve still had very heavy cross hatching, this engine was in very good condition. Oh, and it is for sure is wet sleeve, end of debate.

Attachments

m38inmaine

No, it looks like the engine was almost new inside, I am even going to try and salvage at least one sleeve, all the rods and pistons. I am going to split the bad sleeve and try and recover what I can, the other two actually passed oil and the third was not stuck at all. I will know more tonight.

Update: Was able to save one piston/sleeve assy. from #3, #1 and #2 were stuck and I had to drive them out of the sleeve and the sleeve was pitted. Did save the connecting rods and pins though.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

HI Tom, teardown is complete, standing by for some parts for the rebuild. Also need to source one of those engine gasket kits you have and 2 more sets of rod bearings. The crank is smooth as silk, interior of the block is clean, no sludge. Only thing needing a cleaning is the water jacket area that has some goopy residue from sitting. While taking a break from the engine I have been blasting and painting those parts you sent along. I may need some advice from you friend when it comes time to adjust the injector "rack", look forward to his initial report.

m38inmaine

An organ donor container?, well almost. Big thanks to Mark in Texas(and his faithful assistant keith-j) for sending along the piston/sleeve set from his old engine. This will get my engine back running again, so one engine saving another. This group is really fantastic, the parts exchange and information shared has been the best I have ever experienced. I just wish we were not so far apart, a goat rally sure would be fun.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks