• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cold start Ether kit vs Intake heater

rustystud

when the temps get down to the negatives, my Kubota will not start on glow, or ether. I have to use the block heater(coolant) for about 2 hours. Before I installed it, It took about 4-6 hours with a magnetic oil pan heater. My cummins needs its block heater also at those temps. I intend to install one when I buy my M35.
I wouldn't know about the negatives but we got to 15F a few weeks ago and my truck started up fine. I needed to keep the RPM's up a bit until it started to get warm, but it still started fine.

davidb56

Same here. above 10 or so, everything starts, below that things start to get stubborn, except my 1990 Ford 7.3, but it has glow plugs. personally, I'm fine with ether, and rarely need it unless Im somewhere where the truck sits all night in zero weather.. Windchill really does effect equipment (and me) too.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same here. above 10 or so, everything starts, below that things start to get stubborn, except my 1990 Ford 7.3, but it has glow plugs. personally, I'm fine with ether, and rarely need it unless Im somewhere where the truck sits all night in zero weather.. Windchill really does effect equipment (and me) too.
Windchill doesn't effect metal like it does the human body .

[ Wind chill refers to how fast the body loses heat when exposed to cold temperatures and wind. The colder the temperature and the more wind that's present, the faster body heat is lost. This occurs by the wind chill reducing the external body heat, which eventually causes the internal body heat to decrease. While wind chill does not have this same effect on inanimate objects, it can affect them in varying ways.]

https://sciencing.com/wind-chill-affect-objects-like-metal-10056448.html

davidb56

@porkysplace. Good article/link you posted. wind chill does effect heat transfer (like a fan on your engine) but in speed (time) such as the article states. great post. thank you. dave.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks