• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting a M998

fnpurist

I just won a recent auction for a M998 that has extremely rough paint. All tips for repainting would be greatly appreciated! I know its going to be a lot of work but itll be something to be proud of once it is done.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Rough as in actually rough, or poor condition with flakes? The original CARC paint has the consistency of 600 grit sandpaper, so it could be considered rough. To repaint CARC, it is usually easiest to sand it mechanically rather than strip it using chemicals. Good luck either way. I painted my HMMWV a long time ago and I still see a green haze when I cough.

dmetalmiki

Yes that will be a tough task. But, sand it with power sanders, flat with rough grade paper and squirt away. You will be pleased with the result for sure. (I don't do "pristine" on army truck paint!) I just like that "Used" look. don't forget the obligatory pictures.

fnpurist

Its rough as in peeling, flaking and major drip marks. Attention to detail was not the last painter's strong point ha ( I know , its a mil vehicle) I am really wanting to paint it gloss black but don't know if this takes away from the value or not. If it does , then ill just re-do the tan paint the proper way with yall's help ;) What kind of sandpaper and sander work best for this kind of work? Im sure prepping the interior is going to be a **** of a good time

leo4x4

personally i would keep it as military as possible
that's why you bought a surplus hmmwv
if you have harbor fright close to you they have sanding pads in different grids, use those the pressure wash really good original carc paint is a very good primer then use rapco paint if you wish
http://rapcoparts.com/sigaofpa.html 686 tan

and dont make it perfect after all its an MV
and they dont paint them perfect either

Good Luck

fnpurist

those look great! nice job! where did you buy your paint and what type of paint did you use? also did you dismantle most of the interior to spray it or did you just do a lot of taping?

fnpurist

Im a craftsmen by trade (carpenter) so I really take pride in all that I do and don't want to settle for a less than perfect paint job but I get what your saying

MidwestMilitaryEquipment

Supporting Vendor
Use Omni Epoxy Primer. We distmantled that particular truck completely down to a bare tub. If you are doing a complete color change i suggest taking as much as you feel comfortable doing apart. Especially on the Interior!

leo4x4

i took every thing apart yes
it needed it
alot of taping
pm me your phone number and ill send you more pics later for some reason i cant load them here
also im a contractor as well im a perfectionist but the nice part about MVs and rapco when you get a scratch you take a spray can and spray.

KansasBobcat

Agree with suggestions for respirator. I wet sanded by hand using 320 grit. Marked camo pattern with chalk, sprayed Gillespie primer and then applied the 3 colors. The flat paint and camo pattern are very forgiving so don't get stressed; you can always go back and adjust a border. I wore protective gloves when sanding.

fnpurist

I have been thinking about doing this to the interior but seems like it'd be harder to clean when mud get on it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks