• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Meet Mr Rusty's cousin Mr Crusty

cucvrus

008.jpg017.jpg018.jpg019.jpg020.jpg021.jpg022.jpgMr Crusty is Mr. Rusty's younger cousin. He is also an M1028 that has been severely abused for the past 10 years. And it was my son that did the abusing. It has been sitting in the back ground on several of my threads. Well it is being worked on now. I repainted this truck like new in 2006. And he did his best to try and break it. He has managed a few times. The truck had 40 in tires mounted on 20 inch rims and now has the 37" HMMWV tires and 24 bolt rims. I am happy with how the frame has held up in comparison. This truck has less then 45K miles on it and runs great. It has a 205 transfer case and a Yukon front tru-trak locking differential. It has a 6 inch super lift kit installed much to my dis-approval. But kids will be kids. It had a 4 inch tube mounted to the front of the frame with the front spring hangers attached to it. We are in the process of cleaning it up and making it look better again. It has very little rust on the cab and box. It is mainly water damaged and covered in mud everywhere I look and touch. He just removed the box today so he can pressure wash and coat the frame and under side of the bed. I am trying to keep him out of the extra deep mud and water and make it a nice truck again. Let the other guys beat the crap out of their trucks and sit back and watch. He wants to have it ready for Rausch Creek this fall. Thank you for looking. Have a great day.

rustystud

Same tan color as mine. I never did figure out where mine came from after buying it from GL. Since it was a solid tan color I figured it was a maintenance truck.

cucvrus

I bought this truck from an E bay auction back in 2006. It was above Detroit and had 20 K miles on it. It was given to a pipe fitters union and they had a welder and all kits of racks mounted on back. It was very good mechanically but had the wiring all hacked up. They actually had the batteries mounted in the bed it had push button glow plug system and a push button to start on a control panel that was mounted on the dash with a panel they made. I mean it was really Jerry rigged. The final problem with the truck was the starter bolts were broken off in the block and the fly wheel was chewed up so bad it would not start anymore even after the bolts were extracted. The best part is they painted it tan and brown it looked like the Cracker Barrel truck when I bought it. I took the whole thing apart and painted CARC 686 tan it inside and out. With the exception of the trail rash the paint held up well. It is amazing how much foot traffic on the floor that CARC paint can take when properly applied. I have a few that just have the floor painted in CARC. A few years later I repainted the bed with the water base CARC 686 tan and it was cold during the night and the paint froze during the drying process. It now has tiny cracks in it and washes off with the pressure washer in tiny chips down to the epoxy sealer. A repaint is on the agenda.

cucvrus

Mr Crusty got some new sneakers today. I had all 4 but 2 needed the big red o ring replaced. I put them in today and inflated the tires.020.jpg019.jpgWhat is the proper torque sequence and the torque in ft lbs for all 24 bolts?

cucvrus

Mr Crusty got some attention today as well as Mr Rusty.033.jpg032.jpgI still need the outer spiral snap rings for the lock outs. They are the Warn premium hubs. I bought the other snap rings at the hardware store. I guess I will have to go to a Warn dealer to get the spiral retaining rings. Thank you for looking.

cucvrus

020.jpgStood Mr Crusty's bed on on the front wall and pressure washed it off on the underside. That does not look bad for spending 11 years in Central PA. I sprayed this underside with black rust reformer back when I got the truck 15 years ago. It was like new under the truck and the rust reformer held up well.

cucvrus

012.jpg013.jpgSome replacement parts for Mr Crusty along with a refinished tailgate. Big tires and lift kits sure do ruin a lot of nice OEM fenders and parts. This truck was nice at one time. I am trying my hardest to do this work with my Son. It is against my better judgement to do the lift kit work. But I am helping him out all the same. It had stupid 42" Ground Hawgs on it before. With 37" 24 bolt HMMWV rims and tires it is a least better looking then the other lift and tires it had before. Thank you for looking.

CUCVLOVER

Sweet build.
I understand about a kid abusing their truck, I see it first hand, since its me.

So it had 6in blocks in the rear?
And had the front spring mounts mounted on a 4in square tubing?
How did 42s fit, and how did the 6.2 handle them?

Good luck

cucvrus

Mr Crusty was the in the spotlight today.012.jpg013.jpgThis is Mr Crusty s bed. It has been pressure washed and steam washed. It is still filthy and the cross members are full of mud and dirt. It was washed yesterday and it sat in the sun to dry for the past day. It was time for the needle scaler to loosen the dirt and then use high pressure air to blow it out. We worked on it several hours and got it very clean. I was using my bore scope and a mirror to look inside the cross members to get them extra clean. I don't know why. But we did. 019.jpg018.jpg017.jpgAll the extra work paid off. We were able to shoot the rust proofing into the cross members and get a good coat of under coating on the bed 015.jpg014.jpgfloor and inner bed sides. Then we taped off for the chassis and frame to be coated. 024.jpg023.jpg022.jpg

Attachments

cucvrus

022.jpgMr Crusty needed a patch put in. I cut the section from anther CUCV that was in the field. I have cut many repair panels from the one CUCV that I have. It is never going back on the road. NEVER.

cucvrus

036.jpg035.jpgMr Crusty has had his right door jam repaired and repainted in CARC 686 Tan. The front Bed wall is painted and we are getting ready to reinstall the bed in a few weeks. We can not rush this job. Why would we? Easy does it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks