• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas Powered Air Compressors

1956_4x4

Picked up two 15 CFM gas powered air compressors today. They're both HGR5-8M-1 compressors and have Teledyne WFI "military standard engines" on them. I messed with the first one for a while this afternoon and was able to get it fired up.

Does anyone happen to know where I might be able to find plugs and wires for these engines? They have the shielded wires and plugs.

Smitty

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If its the compressor I think it is it will have the 1A08 single cylinder military standard engine

Crazyguyla

My old unit had one of those or what was left of one. The unit had been stripped of the compressor, engine was missing parts, and the air tank had been open to the environment.

1956_4x4

I'll see if I can get some pictures.

Both of the compressors fit side-by-side in a M101 trailer without any problem. They weigh a little over 600 pounds each, so might be a little big for the regular service truck. I plan on keeping an air compressor, a generator, a pressure washer and a trash pump in one of the trailers. Between these and the equipment on the M1031 I should be able to handle most of the jobs I run across.

Smitty

Crazyguyla

Here is the TM for the Compressor.

TM 5-4310-277-XX
COMPRESSOR, RECIPROCATING, AIR, 15CFM, 175PSI, TANK MOUNTED, GED, (CHAMPION PNEUMATIC MODEL HGR5-8M-1) (NSN 4310-00-880-0186) AND (CHAMPION PNEUMATIC MODEL MGR5-8M-6) (4310-00-880-0186) COMPRESSOR, RECIPROCATING, AIR, 15CFM, 175PSI, TANK MOUNTED, GE (CHAMPION PNEUMATIC MODEL BGR-5M-1) (4310-00-852-1745)

From the -14

b. Compressor. The compressor is a two-cylinder,two-stage, vertical, air-cooled unit V-belt driven. It will deliver 15 cfm (cubic feet per minute) at 175 psi (pounds per square inch) (12.3025 kg per sq cm) (kilograms per square centimeter) when driven at 735 rpm (revolutions per minute). Constant speed unloading is provided. Constant speed operation allows the compressor to run continuously without stopping or starting the engine after each cycle. The compressor stops compressing air and runs free until the pressure in the air receiver has dropped to a redetermined setting at which time the compressor starts compressing air again until the pressure reaches its predetermined limit.

c. Engine. The engine is military standard Model 4A032-2, NSN 2805-00-068-7512.

d. Air Receiver Tank.
The air receiver for Model HGR5-8M-1 is a horizontal type tank supported on four steel feet. It has a capacity of 10.6 cubic feet (80 gallons) and a maximum working pressure of 200 psi (14.1 kg per sq cm). Platforms are welded to the top of the tank for attachment of the engine, compressor, and fuel tank

1956_4x4

Both of these compressors have electric starters on them. I'm guessing that the engines do not recharge the battery since the only wires going to the starters are the battery cables and two wires for the push button switch. The battery cables have slick little lever actuated quick disconnects on the battery ends.

I think this is the first time I've attached photos on here, so I hope they show up...

Smitty

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow! Thats the same pump I have, minus the unloader valve going into the tank. I would check that intake filter as mine was just coiled metal, and I prefer an element.

1956_4x4

gimpyrobb said:
Wow! Thats the same pump I have, minus the unloader valve going into the tank. I would check that intake filter as mine was just coiled metal, and I prefer an element.
The air filters are on the list (along with a few other things) for this weekend. I need to get a couple of pressure gauges, oil filters, fuel filters, and a couple of assorted valves.
I also need to order a couple of things from Saturn Surplus.

Smitty

JDToumanian

NICE! I'd love to have a compressor like those for sandblasting.

The tanks look great and are of obviously high quality, but I'd pull the inspection plugs to check for rust and then do a hydro-test before I used them. An 80 gallon tank letting go at 175 psi will cause death and destruction.

Jon

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Oh yeah, if they don't have it, I put a 3/4 inch drain line with quarter turn valve in. Those little(stock) drain petcocks are slow and don't let as much water out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks