• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting a snow plow on a LMTV 1078 First Post

PBR street gang

Hello Gentlemen,
I have a bid in on a 1078, with the intention of mounting a plow on it for snow. The plan was a hydraulically expandable, 8' to 14' pusher. Has anyone had experience with a 1078 as a plow truck? I am jumping into the deep end on this one. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might be in uncharted waters. Can't see why it would not work. Truck just has a warm air defrost, is that an issue?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter

PBR street gang

Thank you for the help. My hope is to run an expandable pusher box off of the trucks hydraulics with an added valve. If the flow is not sufficient, I would try to mount an additional PTO pump with an open circuit and control valve to hoist and control the plow. My initial concerns are:
1) Is a 96' BAE 1078 appropriate for commercial use?
2) How do I educate myself on the mechanical and electrical systems?
3) What weight will the front end support?
My gut says this will all work, but my problem is that it I need this to work.

Thank you.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1) sure
2) the Technical manuals
3) enough...?

I would not recommend the stock hydraulic system to run what you are looking at. I wouldn't believe there is enough "extra" in this system to do that.

Is there a reason you are looking at a pusher box vs. a standard plow?

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Seems like that truck would be to light for good traction. Anybody know if the front end can handle a plow sticking off of it?
Considering it's been used as a plow, there's an issue kit, and it weighs in between 16k-18k, I think it'd be ok. Drop some sand in the bed if you're worried.

PBR street gang

1_1.jpg2_23.jpg
The pusher boxes have more carry as opposed to a angle plow which is more for widening. My plan is to mount an agricultural mount and plow to the 1078. I need to figure out where an additional PTO pump can go, and how to run some 12v controls off of the 24v.
[h=1]"Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort" - Theodore Roosevelt[/h]

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Thats a neat idea. I see smaller plow trucks that weigh half of what the M1078 does and they do just fine. Plus you can drop tire pressure to the sand setting that works good in snow.
Will

MaiNiaK

I would go with an electric over hydraulic pump, like what's used on the Fisher series plows.

The second ArrowHead link that Bikeman posted has 3 pdf's at the bottom. One outlines all the pieces used (size and material) to build the Fisher minute mount attachment. They also have pictures of the completed minute mount. So building your own should be straight forward. They also provide a complete step by step instruction for wiring lights, plow pump and controls.

Add a Fishers plow, they make several veriety's.
http://www.fisherplows.com/fe/showroom/xls

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just a thought, but those pusher boxes are kind of tough to use if you don't have bucket arms to go up at the end. You will run out of real estate very quickly at your push-to location. Whenever I have used them they are always ridden up the bank at the end. Unless you have a different plan for the spoils at their destination. Just my two-cents.

PBR street gang

Hello Gentlemen, I am the proud owner of a LMTV 1078 from Fort Drum. I have downloaded all of the manuals(thank you bikeman), made payment, arranging transport, and looking heavily into snow plows. First thing first; how hard is it to get a 1078 registered in ny? Does anyone have experience with this machine or a similar one? Thank you for all of the help!

Mike Wryley

I cannot find the bikeman post with the pdfs for the M1078 snow plow detail,
called Arrowhead, was quoted $14K, I would still like to talk to a guard unit or municipality that has used them for feedback on
power, maneuverability, balance and comfort of using a 1078 as a 10-11 foot plow truck.
I have three of the **** things and need to find a way to make them pay for themselves.
Thanks in advance
Mike

PBR street gang

Hello Mike,
I am looking in to a few different plows. HLA Snow, Cotech, Metal Pless, in particular. All Canadian. I am gunning for an Agricultural style European mount (see HLA and Cotech) That way, I could more readily swap plows with vehicles other than trucks and allow for a huge range of other devices off of the front. The trick is to power the hydraulics. Preferably with an additional pump off of the trany or a belt driven pump off of the motor. Lights are easy with a cab over. My truck arrives this week from Fort Drum. Very excited. Ill try to find the best way to power the hydraulics. Be it truck frame mount or tractor mount, It is going to need some thoughtful geometry to the frame.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The standard hydraulics for the cab, spare tire, etc are air over hydraulic and wouldn't be enough. The winch trucks have a transmission mounted PTO hydraulic pump to run the winch. One downside of that system is that the transmission is locked in neutral whenever you engage the PTO. If you have a truck without a winch, then you should be able to put a PTO driven pump in the same location as the one used on the winch trucks.

Suprman mentioned dropping air pressure for traction. Just keep in mind that at the lowest pressure settings, the CTIS only keeps that pressure for a few minutes before it starts airing back up automatically...unless you press the button again.

PBR street gang

Thank you. How does the winch pump that is mounted to the transmission lock in to neutral when you engage the PTO? If I use that free slot, does the transmission also need to be in Neutral in order to run a different PTO pump? I am hoping I can avoid an electric over hydraulic pump.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's in the transmission controller. As soon as you flip the PTO switch, the transmission shifts to N if it isn't already there. I doubt it has to be in neutral for it to function mechanically. I think maybe they do this so you can't run out the winch cable and then overload the cable or winch by pulling with the truck. If you added on an aftermarket PTO and control, it would probably run while in gear. Just my guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks