• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting a snow plow on a LMTV 1078 First Post

MaiNiaK

They make some heavy duty v plows that go on the front of graders. They even make a smaller heavy duty 10ft v plow that will work on loaders and Bobcats.
http://www.rylind.com/snow-removal/89-small-multi-directional-folding-v-plow-smdp-series.html

here are the pdf's from ArrowHead.
Wiring pdf.
http://www.arrowheadequipment.com/files/LMTV WIRING INSTRUCTIONS illustrated.pdf

Frame plate installation. http://www.arrowheadequipment.com/files/LMTV frame plate install illustrated.pdf

Material used to make frame plate.
http://www.arrowheadequipment.com/files/LMTV subframe assemblies.pdf

Using the material list and pictures from the frame plate, a skilled fabricator could make the frame plate.

MaiNiaK

I bought a new fisher 9'6" Extreme V2 for my F350 last year. I still have my older fisher v plow. So I have an extra set of push plates I could use in the M1078 frame plate fabrication. I also have another wire harness.
image.jpg
When I bought my M1078, I had originally thought about putting a plow on it.
Here are the reasons I decided to abandon the idea.
Though I've seen Boss V plows on similar weight dump trucks. I've also seen the damage done to those plows by being hooked to such a heavy truck. I believe my M1078 would destroy my Extreme V2. (a heavier plow would be needed)
Parts for these trucks are expensive and hard to come by. Let's face it, plowing is hard on equipment.
My last reason wouldn't affect others. The M1078 won't fit under an overhang I have on one of my apartment buildings that leads to my back parking lot.

With that said, I do believe the M1078 would make a nice plow truck. You'd want a heavier plow then the Fisher plows used by Arrowhead.

PBR street gang

Thank you for the post. I am concerned about the wear and tear. I bought this machine with the intention of working it. I know that if I get a major failure I could be SOL. I am going to see how far I can go with it. Perhaps I'll start looking for a parts machine. I would be using this plow as more of a secondary and clean up machine. We have a Volvo loader for the primary. My thought is to get a HD 9' plow( probably a cut down 10'). I intend to put a dump body on it, power supplied from a PTO off of the Allison 3070p. Then run a pressure line to power the plow. My hope is to enjoy this great truck and make some money along the way. Probably foolish, but I am a cockeyed optimist!

Where are you finding the material list for making the fisher frame plate. If someone has it saved could you please email it to me. I am in the process of putting a fisher plow on my M1078. I was going to make my own mounts just from their install pictures but if someone has dimensions that would be great.

Well I have started to make a push plate for my M1078. Last night I started mocking it up with foam poster board. I hope by the end of this weekend I will be done with mock up and on to fabrication next week. I will post pics on Monday of the mocked up frame. I have a set of fisher push plates that I will be cutting up to use on the frame. The plow will be a fisher 8' HD that I have modified and extended to 10'-6". As far as wiring goes I have it almost all figured out. The last piece of the puzzle is the pump motor. I know I have read on here in another thread that someone was running their 12v plow pump on 24v and it has been fine for years. The only thing is what solenoid do I need to run for this to work?

Plow frame tacked up

image1.jpgimage3.jpgimage4.jpgimage2.jpg
Here is the plow mount I put together over the past few days on my LMTV. It is for a Fisher Minute Mount II. It is all just tacked together right now. Hopefully by the end of this coming weekend I will have it full welded and the dozen or so holes drilled to hold all the sub assemblies together.

The mount is fully welded now and the plow hooks up great. Now it is time to get all the wiring done and auxillary lights on the truck. I hope this truck and plow will help me keep up with the snow on my 1 mile long driveway. More pictures to come once it is complete.

dieseldash

That's some nice looking fabrication. The LMTV will handle plow duty better than any civi pickup. Find a set of tire chains for the rears and it will be unstoppable.

Thanks for all the compliments. I can't wait to use it this year. The plow that goes with it is an 8' fisher that has been extended to 10'-6". I had one heck of a fight last year with a pick up trying to push all the snow on a mile long drive way. My luck is this year we will have hardly any snow to use it on. I have a pair of chains for the rear that I got off e-bay. I plan on putting a mafia block in the bed for some balast. With that hopefully I won't need the chains.

Last edited:

MaiNiaK

How is the plow setup doing?

I moved my F350 to my friends garage to separate the transfer case from the transmission so I could put a new gasket in. I was then able to park my M1078 in front of my plow where it's easier to plug the block heater in. It really got me thinking about putting my plow on my M1078 again.
image.jpg

That plow would look awesome on there and probably work just as well. Mine is working great, at keeping the white stuff away. I am finally prepared for the snow and it was 73 degrees on Christmas. Go figure. How wide is that plow? I know the military kit from Arrowhead uses a 9' fisher.

MaiNiaK

That's a fisher XtremeV2 9'6" (uses the same minute mount II push plates as all fisher plows do)
They sell an extension kit for it, to make it 11'3". The kit comes with a stop (block) kit that keeps the wings from being pushed back to far and harming the cylinders.

It was T-shirt weather here too for X-mass. Looks like we are in for a foot this storm though.

Luckbonfire

Thank you for the post. I am concerned about the wear and tear. I bought this machine with the intention of working it. I know that if I get a major failure I could be SOL. I am going to see how far I can go with it. Perhaps I'll start looking for a parts machine. I would be using this plow as more of a secondary and clean up machine. We have a Volvo loader for the primary. My thought is to get a HD 9' plow( probably a cut down 10'). I intend to put a dump body on it, power supplied from a PTO off of the Allison 3070p. Then run a pressure line to power the plow. My hope is to enjoy this great truck and make some money along the way. Probably foolish, but I am a cockeyed optimist!
I'm looking at buying one of these for work as well and wondered about putting a dump bed on too. What can these trucks haul? Any reason not to? Btw, thanks for the great plow info! If I do buy one I intend to mount a plow on it, this will come in handy.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are dump bed variants, but you'll have to go to the "full size" 5T MTV vs. the 2.5T LMTV - at least if you want it that way from the government.

Here is the plow mounted. I finaly got the cargo cover on now just need some rubber rope to tie it down. Also mounted up all my LED lights on the cab and around the perimeter of the truck. There is some wiring left on the plow to figure out to get the headlights to work. I think it is a bad relay so hopefully an easy fix. I will be picking up a piece of steel this weekend for the cutting edge. Just in time as we are suppose to get some snow Saturday.
Plow Truck2-1.jpgPlow Truck1-1.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks