• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Mounting a snow plow on a LMTV 1078 First Post

MaiNiaK

Tha truck looks awesome with the plow on it.

Cant wait to hear how it plows.
Just a word of warning these big tires don't like ice.

I've seen that rubber rope for sale by the foot at a decent price online. The part I can't find is the snap hooks that go on each end.
When I had my troop cover on I was using some paracord on the one section of mine that's missing.

Good luck with the plow lights.
If all else fails you could unplug the military headlights and just use a toggle switch on the plow lights.

Last edited:
Got to use the plow this weekend. The truck is a beast and pushed everything I put in front of it. I set the CTIS to sand and have a 3,300 lbs block of concrete right over the rear axle. I never had any tire spin or slide when on the brakes. It did take a bit to get use to having that much truck weight pushing a plow. I am use to using a pick up truck for plowing. When using a pick up you need to keep a little bit of speed to keep your momentum up and push the piles. With the LMTV you can put it in Mode 1 and it will push a mile driveway at idle. We had probably close to 20" and I waited until it stopped to plow my mile driveway. The only problem I had was I blew a power angle hydro line and one of the headlights snapped off from all the bouncing on the gravel driveway. That is not the first time for the light breaking. I think I will just find metal housing lights and lollipop blinkers for the plow. The hydro line blew when I clipped a big rock with the left edge of the plow while angle full right. The line was kind of old also. You do still feel every jolt and bump from the plow in the cab but I enjoyed plowing with it much more than fighting with a pick up truck.

KRedd

Snow plow kit for LMTV M1078AO is NSN; 3825-01-509-5922, or ARROWHEAD Equipment Inc. Tel# 1-888-883-5572 in Quennsbury, New York! This is around $12,000. Part # AHTV03-1 or Part# LAOO1007 . This info is a little old around 2011 but I hope it helps.

KRedd, Thanks for the info. Eastern Surplus sells the mounts for about half that. I was able to make mine for $260.00 in steel and call it another $50.00 in hardware and about another $40.00 in cutting wheels welding materials and other misc. stuff. So all in all I have a $350.00 into this. Now that of course isn't counting the coast of the plows, wiring or my time. My mount is welded and bolted in modules so it can be fairly easilt removed. The only permanent modification I made to the truck was drilling 6 5/8" holes for the main frame bolts.

The plow has been holding up great. My only issue is the motor and solenoid. I was running the 12 volt plow motor on 24 volts and seemed to be doing fine. This weekend though it finally gave up the ghost and burned the solenoid and motor. I am not sure if the 12volt side of the M1078 can keep up with the demand of the motor and that is why I had it on 24 volts. If anyone can give me some insight on this that would be great.

DawGoneIt

The plow has been holding up great. My only issue is the motor and solenoid. I was running the 12 volt plow motor on 24 volts and seemed to be doing fine. This weekend though it finally gave up the ghost and burned the solenoid and motor. I am not sure if the 12volt side of the M1078 can keep up with the demand of the motor and that is why I had it on 24 volts. If anyone can give me some insight on this that would be great.
Hi MidnightDuramax, did you get this wiring issue figured out? I have a M1078 and just acquired a Fisher plow, like the ones Arrowhead sells to the military. This is a work vehicle that we are working on and the next steps are mocking up a subframe mount similar to what you had to do, and wiring to follow. The Arrowhead parts and wiring are too rich for my budget.

I did not figure out the wiring. I think the melt down problem occured do to the voltage difference but because of another problem. I had a bad solenoid in the pump and it would keep drifting to once side. The result of this required me to bump the plow angle constantly. By doing this it caused alot of extra abuse on the motor. I just replaced the motor and solenoid for now and it has been working ok. Let me know if you need any dimensions for the subframe. I will take pics of the lights on this weekend and probably post them on Monday.

DawGoneIt

MidnightDuramax, I would appreciate the dimensions you used for the subframe, and will thank you for any pics you can post. I am putting a parts list together and am rounding up metal stock for this project. My goal is to have this plow in working order by this summer. We got our collective butts kicked by snow down here this winter. We have a Blizzard 8' HD plow mounted on a Chevy 1-1/4 ton truck (M1008) that took a good beating keeping ~6 miles of gravel road, including steep canyon grades, open during heavy snow fall.

expeditionnw

MidnightDuramax, I would appreciate the dimensions you used for the subframe, and will thank you for any pics you can post. I am putting a parts list together and am rounding up metal stock for this project. My goal is to have this plow in working order by this summer. We got our collective butts kicked by snow down here this winter. We have a Blizzard 8' HD plow mounted on a Chevy 1-1/4 ton truck (M1008) that took a good beating keeping ~6 miles of gravel road, including steep canyon grades, open during heavy snow fall.
Glenwood... small world. I grew up in timber valley!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks