• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stencilling Trick

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For years I have been stencilling using an aerosol can, always battling the inevitable spray-under that makes the letters look like crap. Well today my paint crew taught this dog a new trick: use a roller! Turned out better than anything I have ever done.

Attachments

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks! That is very helpful to know. I've been doing a lot of stenciling lately (warm summer weather) and the under spray can cause a lot of "do-overs" which are aggravating.

I'll try rolling next time (probably this weekend).

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great idea!! :) Another advantage to using rollers is that you can use low/no VOC paint, and you can avoid the discomfort of wearing a respirator. (I ALWAYS wear a NIOSH certified dual filter respirator when I use aerosol paints.)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Junkyard Wars Crusher told me about a few years back. Never tried it though.

Looks good. My under spray looks like crap......

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What I did and worked great was I bought vinyl stick on letters
Painted some black first then put letters on then sprayed over letters with earth brown then peeled letters off.IMG_20150607_155319_811.jpg

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........ a new trick: use a roller! Turned out better than anything I have ever done.
........ and probably better than they were ever done in the military (??).
I thought over/under spray was more authentic, especially in a combat theatre? Unless of course they were done freehand with a brush.

Clarification required.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
........ and probably better than they were ever done in the military (??).
I thought over/under spray was more authentic, especially in a combat theatre? Unless of course they were done freehand with a brush.

Clarification required.
We covered up all the bumper numbers on our combat vehicles to make it harder for the enemy to track any inadvertent patterns in our movements. If you want to make bumper numbers authentic for the Iraq theater just put two or three parallel strips of OD duct tape on each end of your bumpers. :-D

Also yes... over/underspray is common on motorpool painted bumper numbers.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds better than what I do.
I know people have looked at me and wondered what form of witchcraft I was performing, with the chopsticks duct-taped to my fingers (to hold down bulgy parts of the stencil while I spray).

Cheers

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This stuff works good too.

3m Repositioning Adhesive

U-Line makes some similar to the above

Last edited by a moderator:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
If it is too neat, it won't look real. Remember, it is the freshly achieved rank of E2 that was performing this task after duty hours or on a weekend. He achieved his rank the normal way, by getting an article 15 and being busted.

Let's not forget the quickest way to make E6 in Germany was to go there as an E7.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Funny CARNAC. That same E2 is the one who painted the rest of the truck with a mop.

Storm 51

Just a Grunt
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARNAC, you and mkcoen are absolutely correct!

That is how I remember it from when I was in the Army (Uncle Sam's Daycare)

Warren Lovell

Has anyone seen a restored P51 Mustang? They NEVER looked like that in the theater of operations in WW2. I can appreciate a vehicle that has not been over restored. I am guilty of this...and it is a hard trait to break, going from collector vehicles to mil vehicles. My uncle was in the US Army in WW2 in Guadalcanal. He told me the would flip a jeep on its side to work under it. Painting was done with a mop or brush in a pinch.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks