• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

multi fuel years and models

rustystud

This is exactly whi so many people hate the forums. Some not all of the more knowledgeable/ long time forum members get there heads all swollen because they answer a lot of questions. Now that these select few answer a lot of questions they get this attitude like they are better than the rest because they know more than the rest in one specific field. Then this elitist attitude starts to show when they feel inconvenienced for answering the same or similar questions more than once I personally find this attitude to be repulsive and unwanted in a environment when people are genuinely seeking help.

maybe next time you feel the impulse to poop on someone's thread because you want to look authoritative you could just answer the question or simply hit the back button.
Thank you. Have a nice day.
First off the people on this forum don't get paid for the advice or information they give out. They do it to help the community . Most of us have jobs, and after a long day of working we come to this site to see what is going on and give a lending hand when needed. So when someone like you post this kind of stuff how do you think this makes us feel about helping you ? Most of this information is out there. I spent over 2.5 years reading the past posts before I ever posted my own. I know there is a lot of information here. I'm a "ASE" certified master truck mechanic, have been for over 35 years now and I have learned a lot about these trucks in these forums. I was even in the "Marine Corps" in the motor pool and I still learned a lot here. So when someone says "Tell Me Now ! Your suppose to tell me ! " I usually say nothing or maybe tell them a direction to take. Now if they "truly" have searched and have found nothing I usually help out as do so many others here. Now you need to consider this, it is MY time your asking me to use to help you out. MY TIME ! you understand ? I can just as well watch the TV and have a quite evening to myself and not be bothered at all. As for the guy with the child analogy know this " Your Not My Child ! " .
Now having said all that, I do enjoy helping others out and if it is within my ability to help I usually do. As do so many of the OLD guys here. I have not seen any here who have this "Swollen" head syndrome . All I have seen is just guys trying to help out when they can. Some here spend so much of there personal time here helping you would think they "work" here ( Gringletaub, gimpyrobb, jeepsinker, Welldigger, Recovery 4X4, Floridianson, jasonjc, plus all the moderators, just to name a few of so very many ! ). What I have seen is new members here get all "bent out of shape" when given (free) advice that they didn't like or want to hear, then going on a rant and attacking the one who gave the advice. This I have seen many times !
This is one of the very best Military Sites on the web today and the guys who make it so, do it for the love of the green machines. This attitude I'm seeing lately doesn't help it any at all. If you want to see this site prosper then I think an attitude adjustment is needed for those who feel "entitled" to help whenever they want it.

Last edited:

datadawg

I am not taking sides on this debate, but I have many times searched for answers on this site, only to find myself inundated with the results. It is frustrating when you wind up spending a few hours reading various posts and realize you are looking for a needle in a haystack. So I understand why a newer member feels overwhelmed and just wants the learned masters in the community to provide guidance.

I do see the other point of view, namely that the veteran posters have seen it all before, do want to help, but want those seeking help to have "paid their dues" in first having searched themselves.

Hopefully, both camps can learn to co-exist, because it would be a shame if the gurus are offended and the newbies are alienated. I don't make it to this forum as often as I like, due to time constraints. I used to spend hours reading up, just to learn, but then the wife and dog house came into play :)

Section8

Thank you jasonjc
That was a very cool and helpful posting/downloadable pdf. I have certainly saved it to my truck file. Chock full of useful info for trouble shooting the multi fuel.
The list in the first chapter of the different multicast great!
Shows how much of a newbie I am though. I thought the LDS was the predecessor to the LDT not the other way around. Unless I miss understood the listing order.
I am not sure if the TM had holes in it from the download or that is the way the TM is written, since I don't have any copies, either actual books or downloads since I only have a phone for the net.
There were a few blank pages in the download and I am curious if the specs for each engine listed were on one of those pages?
I am still trying to compile my info list so that it can be posted for all in the future.
I am also trying to find specs for the cam shafts as well and any other info, such as IP numbers and things. Might as well make a complete listing for those of us with out TM' s to refer to.
As to this continued arguing back and forth bout searches and attacking other members. My initial post which I even stated was not ment to be a personal attack on Rustystud, I said that it didn't help people who post looking for information in regards to something, after having already spent hours reading through their posts only to get tidbits of info for what they are looking for, to be told it is a dead horse or been covered before.
It is more beneficial to the posted and not waste gigs of data space on the server with non helpful posts. If you don't want to post help at that time or don't know don't waste your time. Hopefully someone else will chime in with help Or the original thread starter will find his/her info, either here or else where and share with the rest of us at a later date.

Another question to ask all is, are the TM books kind of like a parts book to? As in do they list parts for the engines and each parts different specs? Or is this a different book altogether?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
TM's ending in -P are the parts books . You can order a cd of TM's off of -pay for less than $10 . Then you can take them to staples or any print shop and have them printed . You can also go to your local library use their computer and at the very least print off the sections of the TM you need from the TM section . I can't imagine owning a MV without the TM's and expecting someone on SS to look everything up . If you don't have a computer to use you should have paper copies , you can buy a set of printed TM's for about the same cost as a tank of fuel.

TM9-2320-209-20P.pdf
TM9-2320-209-20P Organization level - Maintenance M35 Multifuel repair parts and special tools.
TM9-2320-209-34P.pdf
TM9-2320-209-34P Direct and General Maintenance and Support Parts and Special tools.

Last edited:

The King Machine

I am not taking sides on this debate, but I have many times searched for answers on this site, only to find myself inundated with the results. It is frustrating when you wind up spending a few hours reading various posts and realize you are looking for a needle in a haystack. So I understand why a newer member feels overwhelmed and just wants the learned masters in the community to provide guidance.

I do see the other point of view, namely that the veteran posters have seen it all before, do want to help, but want those seeking help to have "paid their dues" in first having searched themselves.

Hopefully, both camps can learn to co-exist, because it would be a shame if the gurus are offended and the newbies are alienated. I don't make it to this forum as often as I like, due to time constraints. I used to spend hours reading up, just to learn, but then the wife and dog house came into play :)
New members help to keep this site active and flourishing. The old members support the new, just like a big Ol' family.
I consider myself part of the next generation of old timers, earning my way with greasy TM's, dirty hands, and empty beer cans. Plus I still have the energy to help guys on the forum out if I have anything to offer.
When I first joined this site I was overwhelmed by the TM's, convoluted search results, and the attitude of the long time members. After time, I came to understand they just want us new guys to put in the effort to learn things the why they did. However they are always there to help if they can see your doing your do diligence.

All I have to say is my truck wouldn't be near what it is today if it wasn't for this community on Steel Soldiers. Parts, advice, humor its all here. I'm grateful even if some of the old timers can be "crusty" from time to time LOL

Last edited:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Another question to ask all is, are the TM books kind of like a parts book to? As in do they list parts for the engines and each parts different specs? Or is this a different book altogether?
Some are, most are not...

Here is one example of a "combined" service -and parts- manual for the various MF-injection pumps: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2910-226-34.pdf
Or this other book, about the Schwitzer turbo chargers: http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/M35/TM9-2990-201-45.pdf

G.

Gralmk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are exception, especially from the military! But the standard is:
TM -10 is for the Operator, everything that an operator is responsible for and can do is in that TM, he is not suppose to go to a higher echelon! The Army worked on 4 echelons, each being able to do a higher level of maintenance of support, Mechanics could go down the echelons but were not suppose to go up!

The -20 is Second shop/level, this is more repair and replace, mechanics in units and in reserves area maintenance support shops were 2nd level -20's.

The -30 cover more in dept! Usually could take some things apart as well.

the -40 were combined mostly with 30's as in 9-2320-209-34, the 4 level was rebuild take apart and rebuild!

Any time you see a P at the end 9-2320-209-20P means that covers parts for 10 and 20 level mechanics.

A -12 was the Lube order, showing all grease points and service times and time of lubes!

The TM is actually broken down as you will learn, like the 9 is ordnance, most engine driven wheeled vehicles come under this, 11 is commo and so on, the 2320 is a class narrowing down the type of equipment I think(boy it's been awhile), the say 209, is the specific vehicle or piece of equipment! Like most of the time for a Deuce you'll hear look up in the 209-10, or the newer models 361-10, where a cucv is 289-??.

Now there is much more to a TM class, yes there is a class! It's been some time so if I got anything wrong I'm sorry just post the correction!

jasonjc

There are exception, especially from the military! But the standard is:
TM -10 is for the Operator, everything that an operator is responsible for and can do is in that TM, he is not suppose to go to a higher echelon! The Army worked on 4 echelons, each being able to do a higher level of maintenance of support, Mechanics could go down the echelons but were not suppose to go up!

The -20 is Second shop/level, this is more repair and replace, mechanics in units and in reserves area maintenance support shops were 2nd level -20's.

The -30 cover more in dept! Usually could take some things apart as well.

the -40 were combined mostly with 30's as in 9-2320-209-34, the 4 level was rebuild take apart and rebuild!

Any time you see a P at the end 9-2320-209-20P means that covers parts for 10 and 20 level mechanics.

A -12 was the Lube order, showing all grease points and service times and time of lubes!

The TM is actually broken down as you will learn, like the 9 is ordnance, most engine driven wheeled vehicles come under this, 11 is commo and so on, the 2320 is a class narrowing down the type of equipment I think(boy it's been awhile), the say 209, is the specific vehicle or piece of equipment! Like most of the time for a Deuce you'll hear look up in the 209-10, or the newer models 361-10, where a cucv is 289-??.

Now there is much more to a TM class, yes there is a class! It's been some time so if I got anything wrong I'm sorry just post the correction!

Good post but you got the -12 part wrong. A LO instead of TM is for lube order. A -12 is a combination of a -10 and -20. You may also see a -24 or -14 , the -24 is the same as a 20 , 30 and 40.

2320 is for trucks and 2330 is for trailers.

rustystud

Almost all the TM's you need for the deuce are here on this site. Just start downloading, then start reading. Simple [thumbzup] . Then in a year or two after you finish reading all of them you should have all the answers you need ! aua LOL ! Yes I can make a joke !

rustystud

rustystud

New members help to keep this site active and flourishing. The old members support the new, just like a big Ol' family.
I consider myself part of the next generation of old timers, earning my way with greasy TM's, dirty hands, and empty beer cans. Plus I still have the energy to help guys on the forum out if I have anything to offer.
When I first joined this site I was overwhelmed by the TM's, convoluted search results, and the attitude of the long time members. After time, I came to understand they just want us new guys to put in the effort to learn things the why they did. However they are always there to help if they can see your doing your do diligence.

All I have to say is my truck wouldn't be near what it is today if it wasn't for this community on Steel Soldiers. Parts, advice, humor its all here. I'm grateful even if some of the old timers can be "crusty" from time to time LOL
Hey, just because I'm old and grumpy doesn't mean I'm "crusty" ! Rusty yes, especially in the morning when I'm trying to get my body to start moving.

85cucvM1009

TM's

OK correct, I reread the notes, a LO 9-2320-209-12-1 is what I have for my Deuce, so it says LO in front as apposed to TM the LO stands for Lube Order, it covers 1 and 2 level lube points which is driver and unit maintenance levels. I know this and should have typed it that way, but I'm just so used to saying I need a -12! Just lazy I guess! :shock:
Good post but you got the -12 part wrong. A LO instead of TM is for lube order. A -12 is a combination of a -10 and -20. You may also see a -24 or -14 , the -24 is the same as a 20 , 30 and 40.

2320 is for trucks and 2330 is for trailers.

Last edited:

85cucvM1009

OK correct, I reread the notes, a LO 9-2320-209-12-1 is what I have for my Deuce, so it says LO in front as apposed to TM the LO stands for Lube Order, it covers 1 and 2 level lube points which is driver and unit maintenance levels. I know this and should have typed it that way, but I'm just so used to saying I need a -12! Just lazy I guess! :shock:
And sorry for the confussion, I just noticed I'm on my sons name instead of GRALMK! But the info is correct either way! LOL

Section8

I will most definitely try to go about downloading the TM manuals, if it doesn't overload my phone or read them as much as I can so I do not have to ask the hated much cover questions of you knowledgeable older members.
The parts manuals that have specs for each part, if I can find them, will be of most interest.
See what if any parts from each of the different models can be Frankensteined into one engine to get the most out of the engine design.
Examples are swapping injection pumps, injectors, oil squirrels, cam shafts, port and polish of the heads (if such a thing is done to diesels) ,turbo. ...
It seemed during my many readings of other posts just about every model had a strong point to it. Combining them should prove to be poor man's green golden engine.

The King Machine

From what I've gathered the LDS engines out of the 5ton trucks have parts that can be used on the LDT's for marginal power increases. IP, turbo, etc.

The port and polish type stuff might just be splitting hairs on these engines and not worth the time.
They will never be a power house, but in my opinion a little extra power wont hurt. I'm just installing my pyro and boost gauge this weekend,

skuhler

Are the engine components, such as connecting arms, rod bolts, pistons, etc., interchangeable between the manufacturers? Where's a good source for these parts?

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are the engine components, such as connecting arms, rod bolts, pistons, etc., interchangeable between the manufacturers? Where's a good source for these parts?
Yes, they are. Also many LDS engine parts fit on the LDT. Heads are interchangeable. Intake valve train is upgraded on the LDS and fits the LDT. You can run LDS pistons and rings in an LDT if you swap the whole set. It is good to know the differences to be able to get what you need. Also, you can use some parts from the Hercules D-478 tractor engines for WHITE 2-155 or 2-135 tractors, such as main and rod bearings, rod bolts (upgraded 12 sided), the water pump and similar. The pistons themselves are different.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks