• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please talk him out of this

MRAP DREAM GIRL

USMC that's really cool. Like the menising look of the second picture. We just got back from Morton and need a little recovery time, and then we will get to all the details.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Big Bang at Bonney Lake

So we did the Bonney Lake Days event today. Ramona got scrubbed and dolled up for the parade, and was a big hit. After the parade she was a stand alone attraction on the field, and soldier A was like a new dad all day long. That's the good!IMG_0932.jpg

For the questionable or not so good, she is shifting very hard from 2nd into 3rd gear. Don't know if that is normal or not, so as always feed back will be met with bushels of gratitude.

On the way home the driver's front brake started to lock up when pushed hard so a complete brake overhaul is in order as soon as we can locate all the necessary parts to do it. Someone also suggested lockout hubs on the front end, but I have no idea where to get those for him to install???IMG_0930.jpgIMG_0933.jpg

99nouns

View attachment 573138View attachment 573141SturmTyger380,

I have never posted pictures on this site due to issues I've had with a couple of local members. However, I'm going to need all the help I can get if my crazy a$$ husband buys the truck he found. So, I'll indulge your request, and thank you for any help in the future. That's my girl working it at a couple of events this year. I think I need practice posting pictures.

Nice truck

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Thank you hendersond. We just wanted to make sure nothing needed immediate attention. With only 2800 original miles, didn't see ho there could be tranny issues, but ya never know. Don't know what she has in the transmission for fluid, and need to do more reading on what she should have in her.

We are just about dead center of our busy season so study time is really hard to come by, but we are trying. Soldier A has lots of grand ideas of a total restoration and enhancement of Ramona for the business. In reality it's probably that he is obsessed with her and his OCD is totally out of control:shrugs:

99nouns thanks for the compliment and positive vibes sir. She is so complete that she could easily be a museum piece with just a bit of work. For the most part she will spend the rest of her days as a pavement princess displaying our wares for our little business.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hard Shift M211

, she is shifting very hard from 2nd into 3rd gear.
The op manual suggests getting them warm at idle/ neutral then letting them idle in gear.....F-1 High Range.... for 5 minutes before getting an accurate reading for transmission fluid level. If you're confident the level is good, you'll be pulling the floor pan and checking the adjustment on the front band......I don't see a lot of info in the manual for a hard shift between 2 and 3 but there's still, idle, timing, different oils and linkages to play with. Topping up the transmission has fixed that problem on both my runners.

One of our Steel Soldiers had an incident where hot oil flashed out of the dip-stick tube so use caution with "hot oil" and being "in gear" while checking levels. I check Goose the 135 frequently and honestly haven't waited the 5 minutes....but I can make it to 3 before I start to twitch.

So far, with the M135 and M207, 30wt sae non-detergent at the correct level has kept the transmissions leaking and shifting perfectly. If the PO ran that truck in the winter, could it have 10wt in it? It's best to dump everything and give her the PM's she loves.

Your 211 got me motivated and instead of tilling the garden this weekend, we rolled out our M211 CDN to look into what she needs. Thanks again for showing us your truck, very inspirational and distracting.

cel barricades 014.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 211 CDN was pictured on #338 and #340 over here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?52255-G749-preservation/page34

....and since the young lady was looking for camo pictures I'll get some better pics on the next trip.

It's got a story behind it with it being a CDN and having American numbers and labels but I got distracted and haven't followed it up.

I also haven't been around enough to recognize that camo pattern or if the paint scheme represents some time period or unit. I would like to know if the numbers mean something to someone.

For more camo ideas, we can remind the MRAP Dream kids to browse through the http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?58040-The-unofficial-g749-picture-thread

...and now that you're a photo guru, add Ramona to the fleet.

Capt Pat

Steel Soldiers Supporter
We're not a business or supplier, but our "Group" has a running M-220 they decided to get rid of as no one has stepped forward to work on it, and we were given an M-211 that couldn't be titled so it became a supply of parts. All are available relatively inexpensively if anyone's interested. Let us know
I also need to start compiling a list of possible parts suppliers. I do lots of business with Boyce and have been made aware of Alpha Heaven. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

hambone

We're not a business or supplier, but our "Group" has a running M-220 they decided to get rid of as no one has stepped forward to work on it, and we were given an M-211 that couldn't be titled so it became a supply of parts. All are available relatively inexpensively if anyone's interested. Let us know
PM sent

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I too thought about buying locking hubs. I decided not to. The 6wd is not full time. It only engages when there is slippage in the front wheels. The binding feel when you turn comes from the rear axles not the front.
We removed the front hubs and front driveshaft one afternoon. We made a couple circles around the yard and noticed no difference.
I even acquired an extra set of hubs to mill the splines out of so they would look original. We put it back together the way it belongs.
When I had the bed off last summer we removed the rear driveshaft. That one between the rear axle and the carrier on the center axle. It drove in tight circles, turned easier and took less power to maneuver on blacktop. I may go as far to say it was a pleasure to drive. The problem is it tears up the grass when it shifts from 2-3, gets stuck on wet grass and the parking brake will not hold the truck on any incline, especially gravel. On the center axle one wheel turns forward, the other backward due to the open differentia land the rear weight is supported by both axles. I have it all back together again.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

iatractor, you are no help at all sir! However, he has been infected all his life, and it's not getting any better.

hendersond, I will let him read this ASAP because he thought the front end was binding. If lockouts won't change things then we don't need to waste the money. We're putting out loads as it is to expand our business, so anything we can avoid is good.

The lock outs we saw look like something warn would make. They were silver.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Can the hard shifting be helped by changing what kind of fluid is in the transmission? I have talked to a couple of people that suggest things like 30 weight oil or the Dex change.

This tranny doesn't have a torque converter does it?

Hugs to everyone

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks