• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Please talk him out of this

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine has heavy weight oil. Hard shifter. I hear some owners see smoother shifts and an increase in leaks when going to ATF. Sounds reasonable to me.
I believe it was Plowboy who suggested downloading the manual and setting the transmission adjustments. I would definitely do this first!

As far as a torque converter the answer is more or less yes. It is called a torus. I understand a torque converter is a contained unit with torus inside. Your torus is formed by a housing bolted to the flywheel that directs the fluid flow much like a torque converter.

paradeduty

I used to have an M211 way back in the day. As luck would have it, I just stumbled on one of the manuals I had for the truck while "cleaning up". It is the original Army "Ordnance Maintenance" TM 9-1819AC. Looks to be for "field and depot level maintenance" of the M135/M211/M215/M217/M221/M222. Looks like it was printed in 1962. Not new, but in pretty good condition for over 50 years old. Binding is a little loose but has no ripped/ratted pages. Let me know if you are interested.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

iatractor, you may be way too right sir.

So, I can't find soldier A last night and it was time for supper. When I finally figured out where he was it was way too cute. He and our two furry children were sitting in Ramona talking about all the changes and up grades to come. That's where it stopped being cute.

On the steering wheel was the tablet. He was googling the GMC 302 hot rod forums and looking at these. My life may never be the same again!

By the way I love all you guys that are trying to help even if I know y'all are just as disturbed as him.DSC00320.jpgDSC07266-vi.jpgDSC07269-vi.jpgDSC07271-vi.jpg

USMC 00-08

That is really neat. My kids love the trucks I have. If they even hear one start, they come running out of the house so they don't miss a ride or something. My wife was not too happy with my trucks until she saw how much the kids liked them. Then she made the mistake of riding along and now really likes the trucks. She just mentioned the other day that she wants a 5 ton or a CCKW for her own. :D

Those are great looking engines!

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Paradeduty, I think we he has downloaded all the manuals, but I will check into it and let you know. In any case thank you for the offer. We took both girls out to do a little selling yesterday and noticed Ramona is leaking oil out of a hole that does not have a plug in it. looks like the bell housing. Just don't know where the source is.

20150822_121134.jpg

SturmTyger380

How much oil is leaking? Is it small or does it make a puddle?

All these old trucks leak. Oil from that area could be from the rear engine seal or from the torus.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Sturm when we had her out yesterday she peed a puddle about the size of a dollar bill in 7 hours of sitting on the asphalt. Soldier A was thinking rear main seal as well.

On a different note soldier C and myself cleaned and painted Helena our 105 in preparation for a week at the Packwood flee market. Matilda and Helena will be such a perfect pair when I get the top scrubbed tomorrow. Girls get to have fun too. Right???IMG_0935.jpgIMG_0934.jpg

SturmTyger380

What if you collected the oil and compared it to what's in the engine vs what's in the transmission? I was thinking if smearing some on something white like a card or paper plate. Then do the same with samples from the engine dipstick and the transmission dipstick. It might give you a clue based on the color, consistency or dirtiness.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Packwood on the horizon

So, here is the deal. Sturm, I am going to do what you suggested, being that we need to change all the old fluids anyway. It may take a week. We are gearing up for the Packwood flea market event, and soldier A is tying knots round the clock. lol

The question of the day is, what is the biggest tire we can run on Ramona? Good supply of 395's right round the corner.

Soldier A has wall to wall carpet for camping next week [thumbzup]IMG_0936.jpg

SturmTyger380

Don't change the fluids before you finish your detective work because you will compare the colors of the oils. To decide if it's from the engine or transmission.

I am hoping that your truck just needs a rear crank oil seal. You can replace that by dropping the oil pan and following instructions for something they call a sneaky pete. I would google that to figure it out.

MRAP DREAM GIRL

Sturm we will do that as soon as we get back from the big Packwood event. It's killing him not having time to get started on the old girl.

Two questions today. Can one put 395's on a M211. attachment.jpg

And, can anybody give me more information on the model of this service body truck. Love the rounded corner box.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Two questions today. Can one put 395's on a M211. View attachment 578174

And, can anybody give me more information on the model of this service body truck. Love the rounded corner box.
That service body may be unique to Canada. Has anyone seen a U.S. model?. The photo came from a friend who drilled wells with it after military life. I know of 2 and one is in a museum so finding another one would be a fun hunt. I think we just saw a few truck pictures from Eastern Canada that may have had the auger on the back so it never hurts to ask.

I don't have a direct 395 tire answer but here is an M135 with some big rubber and if it doesn't give up enough info, it'll make you grin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WkQnpPka0Y

MRAP DREAM GIRL

M1010 those look pretty big. I think we are going to have to dig a little deeper, so we make the perfect choice for new rubber. Since this old girl is going to be an asphalt queen the rest of her life, we are looking for radial choices and speed/handling improvements.

Loved the background comment in the video about the windows still being up. rofl

MRAP DREAM GIRL

So, soldier A and our friend V got a chance to do some tire swapping to check the fit of 15.50s on the 211 They look like a go and make her look really mean.IMG_0938.jpgIMG_0939.jpg

MRAP DREAM GIRL

USMC if the boys got the measurements correct there should be about an inch and a half between the rear set. Those are my tires from Matilda so after they did their experimenting I made the boys put the tires back where they found them :naner:

SturmTyger, there is a touch of rubbing on the steering draglink when the tires are turned all the way to the left. Officer V, says that the steering stop in the picture needs to be adjusted or modified to prevent that, and soldier A agrees.

Now the hubby just has to go get his own tires, cause he isn't getting mine IMG_0940.jpgIMG_0941.jpg

Section8

The truck in M1010plowboy' s YouTube link. Has 1400/20 flotation NDTs I believe.
Makes the rig look awesome. However if you watch the original full length, which I think is 30 seconds long, the guy blows his tranny trying to go fully over the car.
I think the 1400 series tires look good but a little to big for the drive train on these old rigs.
The 15.50 michelins look meaner with the aggressive tread pattern and not to huge as to overwhelm the drive train to much.
I definately would love a set for my rig in the future!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks