• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 Rear Bumper Spare Tire Mount

Russm

Looking for ideas on how to do it.
Spare is a 37" humvee tire on a 8x6.5 steel rim. I'm bad with weight estimation but I guess its around 80 lbs total.

I know I cant mount to the rear fender like on the bronco, ive seen the pictures.

Needs to withstand the bumps and bounces of riding on a trail.
Needs to be swing-away to clear the tailgate.

Ive seen the one on the back of in-service humvees, it looks cool but it looks complicated.

KansasBobcat

Think your weight estimate might be a little on the low side. You did not say what kind of rim but 16 bolt 2 piece rim with runflat in 37 inch Wrangler weighs about 160 lbs. The early H1/HMMWV swing away carrier will work but it is a 2 person job to get the wheel up there! I really like the Rhino carrier but it is rather expensive. I think there have been some other threads on this with ideas for reinforcing the bumper to take the added weight.

Russm

Think your weight estimate might be a little on the low side. You did not say what kind of rim but 16 bolt 2 piece rim with runflat in 37 inch Wrangler weighs about 160 lbs. The early H1/HMMWV swing away carrier will work but it is a 2 person job to get the wheel up there! I really like the Rhino carrier but it is rather expensive. I think there have been some other threads on this with ideas for reinforcing the bumper to take the added weight.
Oh sorry

Plain steel rim. No runflat

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really. I was fabbing bumpers for M1009s and it's one of the designs I looked at.

I'd do it simply - 6x6 square tubing, with a 2" receiver as high as you can get it without interference with the tailgate, OEM shackle mounts or shackle mounts from a 5ton truck, tire carrier as pictured being certain to overbuild the pivot, cutouts for the OEM blackouts....

that's a very nice looking tire carrier. I would love to do something like that for my m1009, I have a m1008 bumper of the back of my rig so if I can build it into that I'm sold.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If one were to fabricate that kind of carrier, I have a thought that might help. Consider building it where you could bolt a front spindle to the bumper and use a hub and wheelbearings to attach the spare tire carrier to. Not only would it swing effortlessly, you would have a spare hub, bearings and spindle built into the truck.

jadennis1129

Really late response but here is what i did to mine with a bumper off of a late 70's c10. Its a full swing way rack I welded together, the cover over the cans is a basket that folds down for outside storage.IMG_0414.jpgIMG_0479.jpg

jadennis1129

Man I would love to get some more pictures up, but I’ve got the whole thing torn apart at the moment so that I can redo the mounts. When I get it back together I’ll post good pictures. It’s just a 1” square tubing rack w/ slide in trays for the tanks and a hinging basket that’s big enough to go all the way around and lock. The problem I had was my hinge not strong enough for the weight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks