• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1028 to 1009 body swap

lolercaust

So iv got a M1028 in wonderful shape but i some times kick my self for not getting a m1009 instead. I think the 09 looks more like a military service vehicle then the pickups and iv all ways wanted a blazer. But what sold me on the 28 was the frame, axles and suspension. BUT what if i removed the bed and cab cut and re-welded the frame and put a blazer body on it. Of course i could just put the D60/14 bolt under the blazer but why not have a full 5/4 ton blazer with frame, suspension and all. I certain that its not that easy and will require more fabrication like body mounts for example. Has any one know of or done this. This is just hypothetical at this point....but wow a 5/4 ton M1009 what a little bruiser.

2deuce

The suspension of the M1028 would really be stiff. As far as needing that kind of weight hauling capacity or towing capacity, I can't see that you would. That is why I haven't heard of this being done. Putting The axles under is rather common because of the off road strength increase. That is the way I would go, cheaper, quicker, easier.

I used to drive a 1028 at the museum I worked at frequently, great truck. I also own a m1009 and use it as a daily driver, plow truck, expo rig, etc. I don't think all the extra work would be worth it personally. You might feel it worth the work and I don't fault you if you have your reasons. That said my m1009 with a few key mods is able to handle any abuse I have ever put it through, sustained more almost 30 years of military service, etc.

I have upgraded my front springs to the HD version available at SD Truck Springs and they rate them at 1,900 lbs (four leaf). Keep in mind I run a 1/4" plate steel full bumper and brush guard and a 12k warn winch with steel line. I can also throw my plow on the front end and it rides just as nice as without. I plan on new 5 leaves in the rear before the winter to rejuvenate the ass end. I already had the frame supports/reinforcements that came on the truck from the military. If you use the ORD frame support/steering box support you beef that up nicely.

Treat yourself to an axle swap (waiting to do mine) with the dana 60 up front and 14 bolt free float in the rear just like your current truck. I re-geared to 4:10's and have been very satisfied with the balance of power on the low end for off road and cruise speed on the highway. The gear vendors are nice but more than I want to spend on this old girl at the present time.

I would think a few key mods like that would net you a very robust truck and save time and money when compared to a frame swap.

Just so everyone knows I don't have any ties to SD Springs or ORD other than I have purchased (at full price) there stuff for my truck and am very pleased with the results. I get nothing out of this other than helping someone else on the forum.

See links below:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1463
https://www.sdtrucksprings.com/index.php?main_page=product_reviews&products_id=7337
http://www.offroaddesign.com/catalog/steeringkit.htm

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What do you plan on doing with it? Anything is possible but it might get costly. Mighty stiff and I'm not sure you could load that kind of weight into the truck short of lead bars and the like.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks