• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M105 axle replacement

browndalePF

I just bought a M105 trailer. Was thinking about changing out the axle and springs to be able to pull it with my F150. Has anyone done this with success?

SteveKuhn

Timely thread. I've been looking for the details where someone replaced the 105 axle assembly with a Dexter/electric brakes. I can't seem to find it. Don't think it was from another site. This was a direct axle replacement on to the existing frame. Perfect for the purpose and brakes for weight.

If anybody finds it . . .

Steve

SteveKuhn

I should add this that I've been working from. It's a fairly old thread on IH8Mud but it has good details and photos. I have (2) 105s and (2) 103s. I'm very seriously looking to do with with the 103s.

This excerpt is from part way down the page.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/m105-as-utility-trailer.212556/

"...It seems others are giving these trailers a try (because they are so cheap on GL) and I have been getting more questions about my modifications. So, I will update this thread.

The axle was ordered from ABC Trailer Parts - Trailer Axles - Trailer Axle Kits They have been referenced by other mudders and everything shipped perfect. The axle was a 3" 5200lb axle w/ a 4" drop. To order an axle, you need to provide 3 dimensions.
(1) is the hub pattern. I went w/ 6 lug 5.5" same as Toyota
(2) is the spring center to center width. This is measured on the original springs to be 40"
(3) is the width hub face to hub face. This was a little more complicated and I cant find my notes. I ordered the axle 79 inches hub to hub and If I had to do it again, I would go with 78 inches. This was derived analyzing the fender lip on my 4runner and factory alloy wheels. After installation, there was room to make it an inch narrower. Again this depends on tire size, wheel offset etc.

The axle has brackets for brakes, but I have not installed them yet since the law in NH only requires trailer brakes if over 3000 pounds.

With the trailer now lowered I still use the front landing gear okay. On level ground it would still park nose up due to the landing gear, so I park it in my yard with a small hole dug for the landing gear to ease hitchup. With the hole, the lunette is at same height as pintle when I back up. Without the hole, I would have to use a hi-lift to manipulate the hitch for connection..."

Steve

EDIT: And found his reference to it here on SS:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...vilian-Pick-Up&p=423725&highlight=#post423725

Last edited:

ithaca1230

I did a axle swap on my M105. It wasn't very hard to do. I used the old springs took a couple leafs out. Added a 7000 lb axle with brakes. Works great now pull it with a excursion.

SteveKuhn

I haven't followed through with my ideas and didn't see any more posts on the topic so I thought I'd bump this thread with a photo I just saw. I thought it was a very creative job of modifying and adding to the stock suspension. To my eye, it looks quite strong if those are good welds. It certainly gets around the difficulties of downgrading the rating of the commercial replacements. I really like it.

Steve

Attachments

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I am going to put a old 10 hole bud axle under a 105 because it will only be pulled by a 5t and will make the spare issue a lot eaiser to deal with.

Palidora5

Palidora5 what is the height from the grade to bed now. I like this mod using the stock wheels and axle.
I can measure it when I get home, there is about 3" between the frame and axle and about 4" between the tire and fenders all the way around. I was also able to hook up all the brake cables for the hand brakes and spin the rubber line over so when i install the surge brake tongue it will be ready for service. and as far as the bed height it is very workable being lower then my pickup bed. if you plan on hauling heavy stuff you might run into problems with the axle hitting the frame but since I kept the full spring pack it wound have to be HEAVY

drivebymashing

Palidora5 I was also thinking about flipping the axle. Do you have any more pics of the side of the trailer? Looks like the cheapest way to lower the bed height.

drivebymashing

Looks great. I also burn a lot of firewood. Right now im using a m1101 and the bed of my deuce. I want something lower. I recently bought the one and only rhino on govplanet. Trying to get it running for firewood also. Has anyone flipped the axle on a m105 without blocks? It looks close to hitting axle.

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone flipped the axle on a m105 without blocks? It looks close to hitting axle.
Do you mean making it under-slung? I think the tires could hit the wheel wells. Now if they were tires from an M1061 trailer, that might work.

Here is the rest of my 105 where I dueled it up and made it longer.

Attachments

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes axle on top of springs maybe remove a few springs if necessary. I love the dualed look.
I don't think there is room between the frame and first spring to make it under-slung. That axle is about 5" dia. I believe.

Take a look at the tires and wheels on a M1061 trailer. They are lower profile and appear to have the same bolt pattern.

What is your pull vehicle, military at 50 mph or civilian at 70 (on highway)?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks