• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M998 turn signal switch location?

bmdupont

Lights all work but the turn signals. When I turn left or right on the switch lights up but no click.

Where is the turn signal switch located? Is this it?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439157470.000328.jpg

Any other ideas why they might not be working?

gcbennet

It's a ribbed black box mounted up in behind the ignition switch area. It's marked 'flasher directional signal' so there's no mystery about if you've found the right one. Before you swap out the box make sure you check the cannon plug for corrosion as well as all of the grounds you can find. image.jpg

bmdupont

Thank you. I could find two boxes with ribs but can't read the labels. The one that looks most similar to what you posted has nothing plugged in and I can't find a lose plug?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1439160394.967122.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1439160411.625531.jpg

It's gotta be that box labeled 67734 right?

gcbennet

Keep in mind for this and most other military vehicles is they're 24 volt systems and you won't find these parts at the local auto parts stores.

KansasBobcat

It's a ribbed black box mounted up in behind the ignition switch area. It's marked 'flasher directional signal' so there's no mystery about if you've found the right one. Before you swap out the box make sure you check the cannon plug for corrosion as well as all of the grounds you can find. View attachment 574651
It is always a good idea to disconnect the ground cable before doing anything electrical, especially cannon plugs, control box, etc

86m998

I am having similar issues. 1986 M998 turn signals just stopped working & brake lights at same time. Confirmed all bulbs are good. Turn signals turn on but don't flash. Hazards switch does nothing; doesn't even turn them on solid. While diagnosing I notice brake lights will come on when pedal is depressed fully with significant pressure. I believe from other posts that the flashing module for turn signals if different than the one for turn signals so I think it's too coincidental that both would fail at same time. Any ideas?

bmdupont

Did you try unhooking the connections under behind driver steer wheel? Mine just had caked on dirt and the connections just needed cleaning off. Blew out the box with some air and all worked again.

86m998

Will try that! Funny thing is in the process of trouble shooting this I fixed my wiper fluid motor due to loose connections. I made sure every other connection was tight but did not try opening & cleaning. Thanks

papakb

The light staying on indicates a bad flasher unit and no, your not going to find an exact replacement at your auto parts store. Grote makes a commercial 24 volt flasher that can be wired into the system but it doesn't come with the standard 3 pin connector on it. I wrote up the modification proceedure and there are several other discussions about this topic you can find by using the advanced search tab in the upper right corner of this page, Search turn signal flasher replacement in the HMMWV forum.

86m998

Thanks. Would a bad flasher also affect brake lights? Seems no but very coincidental. Also, is the flasher for hazards separate?

86humv

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Flasher and turn switch all work with headlight switch....so check your headlight switch....they have contacts inside, and can go bad.
Brake light switches are known to get a bad spot, and not make contact.

papakb

A bad flasher has nothing to do with the brake lights although the turn signal switch that they both pass thru does. All it's doing is providing a pulsing signal to the switch, the switch then does all the proper connections.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks