• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

R.I.P.-George Maneri-VERMONT COMM SALVAGE

kdaniels

Guys ..George from Vermont Commercial has passed away yesterday. If you have been into M37's very long you know George. The hobby will not be the same without him. He was a great friend and will be missed by many.

RIP George I will miss you!

SEMPER FI !
Keith

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awe crud. Rest in peace George M. Me thinks Evil Dr. Porkchop is affiliated with George. Prayers for the family!

kdaniels

Rick Larsen and George bid on a FEMA trailer after the Katrina event and won. I picked it up and delivered it to them @ the Aberdeen MV meet in 2006. Man was I EVER GLAD to turn it over to them (damage free)!!pitures 110.jpg

jatonka

Just found out this morning that we've lost one of the pillars of the MV hobby. Many years of dealing with George, sharing the loss of another close friend and becoming friends of eachother, make me feel major sadness at the loss of my respected friend. God watch over you George, and your family. John Tennis

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
George was a great guy. I bought my NOS 20' slave cable from him and he spent an hour on the phone chatting with me about MVs. Seemed like a really great guy.

vtdeucedriver

Known George since I was 10 when my dad would take me to his place to look at army trucks and talk military history. Bought my first M-37 in 1996 and the bulk of my parts from him for it. I would later buy my 1st Deuce and my M-62 from him. In a even smaller world, I met a girl online in 1999 who turned out to be his 2nd daughters best friend growing up and I ended up keeping that too. I'm going to miss seeing him at the shows or going to his house on the weekends to talk and end up buying parts I would some day need or replace the ones that I cant find.
That Saturday night after he passed, I started looking at all the bill of sales and slips of paper of all the parts I had bought since 96. They say you cant put a price on a friendship....................well I added them all up to over 28,000. I wish I still had the chance to make it more.

Attachments

xm708

I met George when I was active duty coast guard. Bugged him for a job and the friendship began. Towed many a truck for him over these years and loved it all. He was a mentor good friend and a adopted father to me. He invited us to his NC home he referred to as tranquility base (married guys understand) and met his son Matt there also. I miss George every day
. We promoted George to Chief petty officer at his funeral he is probably wearing the anchors as we speak.
RIP good friend

M-37Bruce

George will be sorely missed! He's having coffee With Sid right about now, I bet! (I need to finish my truck, I'm running out of suppliers!)

kdaniels

I miss Sid too....I took a trip to see him about two yrs before he passed away. The railcars he had for all the inventory were a blast to look thru. SUPER NICE guy.

SEMPER FI!

keith

moreorles2

Sorry that I missed the news of George’s passing. He was a wealth of knowledge for me starting out with my first and only M35A2C. I would often stop by his house when I had business in Burlington and we would chat and I’d buy something for my new toy. He would often quote his old friend Ross Moir (ACETOMATOCO) and reiterate RTFM...RTFM.
Until we meet again,may God Hold you in the palm of his hand....

billyzz

The MV community needs folks that know their **** about these vehicles.
The old guys are dying and the world needs replacements of kind,generous and knowledgable gents to carry the torch.
That means us.
So soak up every bit you can.
Because some earnest young pup is going to be looking for help.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sad news, rip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kd1yt

I haven't been on the forum in a long time, so just saw this. My son, then about 9 yrs old, visited George about 9-10 years ago and I got some parts for my M37. They don't make 'em like they used to (trucks, parts, or people like George).

msgjd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's spelled "Mainieri." Has taken me a very long time to talk about George. He is still in my phone. Once in awhile I'd get an annoying call, and usually at the most inopportune time (I think he had ESP). "Heeeey! You know who I am. You better get up here. I'm scrapping some stuff and you're gonna cry if you don't! " That was George. Very thoughtful yet bitching about nameless people who waste his time by never showing up after he spent a day getting their stuff pulled out. Can never fault him for that. But he was so appreciative of everyone who came through. If I was in town on other business and stopped in just to say hi, I'd wind up being his sounding board for an hour. What are pals for? George always managed to get me to buy him lunch, and I'd enjoy it every time. And afterwards, he also managed to make sure I didn't go home empty even when he knew very well I didn't stop in to buy. "Hey, I got something you need. I think I set it right over here. Thought 'bout you when I came across it." And we'd paw through stuff and explore for awhile and I'd find things I'd want but not need. He sure knew how to play me and I loved him for it. It was a fun game for both of us. I'm pretty sure he was that way with almost everyone. George was Navy thus I was always impressed and surprised with the great depth of mechanical knowledge he had of land-based army equipment. He'd be elbow-deep in anything with tracks or wheels or not. When his health started downhill, I spent some days helping him clean out trailers and organize. He had many, many friends. As the two of us emptied his M750, george was being george and convinced me in his george-way into buying it. I wasn't looking for one. I didn't need one. But next thing you know I'm hauling one home at 60mph. Even today it's the best "george" investment I ever made. Well, not discounting his "house" MEP003 w/trailer, a parts 5T, expandable tentage, HMG cradles, and loads of individual NOS 5T and deuce parts. I think he inadvertently caused my divorce! I could always trust that George had my best interest at heart. He was always right-on knowing what I needed long before I realized it. Including my eventual divorce. The year before he died I was busy 70+hrs a week hauling 112,000# loads of ore tailings along the other side of the lake. I never did get to see him again, but we'd call on occasion and I'd tease if he had made up his mind yet about a price. (I started offering to buy his complete inventory in '09) His funny sarcastic smile or laugh was always the answer. He knew I was serious, but he also knew I needed the headache like a hole in the head. George always knew. Some people didn't know how to take him at first meeting, he could be grumpy & bitchy when he was stressed and busy. He had a fondness for PBR's (the boats). Like on the waves, you had to learn how to roll with George. Super guy. definitely missed

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks