• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Another one joins ranks of m38a1 ownership

Saberr

Been on this forums for a little while reading and talking to members as much as i could. I finally bought my own m38a1. Always been in love with them, father had one (modified heavily of course). Found this one by chance. Its a 1964 USMC, pretty much everything is there and in relative working condition. Has the limited slip. Its been about 15 years since last drove. Even got the original release paper. Torn into it a bit, trying to get the engine to turn over. Think starters bad, turns really slow and engine is not locked, and all connectors cleaned, and gauge registers battery. Its in to get rebuilt. Only thing not orig is the fuel pump, and it just happens the other frame and engine i bought with it has it !! :jumpin:. Really excited, definitely needs a lot of body work, frame is bent in back and tiny rust holes in body. The black one is the extra, may be selling the engine and frame, engine locked, water on top pistons. Both also have the t90-a1 transmissions. If anyone could suggest how to track it history through the vin or hood numbers would be awesome, it is usmc though.

20150811_171038.jpg20150811_171318.jpg20150811_171238.jpg20150811_171229.jpg20150811_171216.jpg20150811_171205.jpg20150811_171146.jpg20150811_171130.jpg20150811_171054.jpg20150811_171348.jpg

dmetalmiki

Welcome to the site hobby friendships, and the events to come. That is a major job you are taking on and you deserve credit and encouragement for attempting it. So keep the reports of progress coming, and of course the obligatory pictures as well.

Last edited:

Saberr

Thx demetal. Ya it is a bit. Want to do everything at once, but i dont have the space to rip it all apart. Also need to keep focused on one thing at a time. Too easy to loose or get things mixed up when you do too much at once. Right now debating if i want to flush and seal gas tank or use a proffesional. Sealing evenly and everywhere is the tricky part.

mutt1966

Does the gas tank have fuel in it? If it does and its not leaking, drain it there is a drain plug on the bottom, remove it very carefully because it mite be rusted to the floor of the A1, you want to try and save an original tank the after market ones are very evpensive and are worthless, actually junk....
I wonder if it has the front locker too all in all a great find, good luck with the restoration... O&O Scott

Saberr

No gas in the tank (story of my life). Can hear the rust and crystals when move it. Got it out, looks like only superficial rust on outside. Got 2 screws rusted in holding the filter on, gonna have to drill those 2, rest came off easy. Yes it does have the original front and back lockers. Also did get the plug out already, came out pretty easy with a wrench, too hard for by hand.

Saberr

Anyone have any pics on the starter gasket looks like, with the no crush cooper spacers ? Mine didn't have it, and i cant find anything on a replacement. Was the gasket cork or a rubberized cork ?

Saberr

Tires tires tires everywhere and no sets that hold air. 20150815_161244.jpg20150815_161253.jpg20150815_161238.jpg

Got the extra frame together and my new rebuilt starter in. Great compression and everything is a turning, just need spark plugs that work. Also got the dash lights to work, although it was just a flick of switch lol. 20150815_161224.jpg20150815_121547.jpg

Have a question though, i have two sets of rims. One with the stem on the outside and one with stem on the inside. I have never seen one on the inside, anyone have some info on that type of rim ? 20150815_121516.jpg20150815_121412.jpg

jeeplvr247

Looks like you found a real good project. All of those 24 volt parts are quite valuable and hard to find so it is a big bonus that yours still has all of them.

Saberr

Re ran most of the fuel lines. Replace the points, condenser, and coil, have power all the way to the spark plug, but still doesn't want to run. Now my Volt gauge isn't working. Tomorrow i am gonna do a true compression test. Got the seats and gas tank out as well. Debating on getting my neighbor to help, hes a mechanic, to re bend the frame, or to get a new one. Bummed because i have a 53 frame, but don't want to do all the modifications needed for a 64. Anyone know if a frame swap hurts the value, if so roughly how much is lost ?

Saberr

Thx Maverick. I dropped oil pan and cleaned sludge out. Put it back in and go figure the last bolt for the pulley skid plate doesn't want to got in, think it's stripped.Also pulled the Oil filter and cleaned more sludge out there. I ground down both and repainted, looks like new. Also got my carb rebuild kit in, now waiting on the hand throttle cable holder piece. Also i dropped 2 quarts of old half sludge oil on my self, and it had been sitting in the 104 degree sun. That was not fun, covered head to tow in old hot sludge oil. Almost broke a window also when i was grinding down one of the spacer nuts that got caught and flung. It also rained on me and soaked me through while repairing the grinder. It was just and interesting few days.

Saberr

Got carb rebuilt and new throttle/choke cables ran. Oil system back together. Now not getting oil flow. I believe it is ether a clog after the pick up or needs a new pump. Blew all oil lines with air and no issues. Wondering, is there anyone around the Murrieta, Hemet, Temecula areas in SoCal, that know much about m38a1 ? Could use and extra eye and brain at times. Tried the member map, not much help.

Saberr

WOOT. I got the jeep running, now to find a radiator, that just jumped to #1 slot. Had white smoke and some oil out the pipe, but was purring like a kitten. I am now mosquito/fly free for 1 mile :).

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There should be some members in your area to help you with the details. Keep us posted, sounds like your on the way!!

Saberr

Everyone loves pics, Here are few smoky ones. 20151012_174941.jpg20151012_174947.jpg20151013_164701.jpg20151013_164652.jpg
Have a vid of it running but don't know how to upload and don't feel like making a tube account.

Saberr

Well, i got the new radiator and the engine runs like a charm, All the electrical system checks out, What a relief that all the lights work. Got my new gauges and batter box top as well. I also refurbished my wipers, they look like crap but run like new. Also stripped the body of hardware so i can blast it. Thursday get it vin verified, they don't like it if you tear apart the vehicle before they see in :). Have an odd issue though. It runs, but the tires/shafts don't turn when in gear. They move by hand and in 4wd all tires move when one is moved. The clutch engages, and you can see the fly wheel stop. It like there is something messed up in transfer or shifter. It's almost like its not in gear even though it is doing all the right things. Any input would be helpful. I also already ran it through all the gears.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks