• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

#2 Injector line was leaking at Hydraulic Head

TB58

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?143548-Brutus-Coast-to-Coast

**** Solved ****

Yestersay morning I bypassed my FDC and all went well yesterday. During my pre run checks this morning I found fuel coming from the #2 injector line out of the HH. I tried tightening it, no change. I pulled the line, cleaned a bunch of crud out of the fitting but no provement. Am I hosed?

Got towed to Ogden and waiting until Monday. Have to hand it to my insurance company, they really came through on the roadside assistance. Other than calling the fire department to come out and declare the scene safe before calling the tow truck it went pretty smooth.

The line had cracked at the nut. Completely separated by the time I got to the shop.
Initial indications while driving - excess smoke, vibration, loss of power, higher EGT, abnormal sound.

Last edited:

TB58

Here is a picture of the leak. While running it is coming up between the line and nut. Would putting some teflon tape on the mating surface be a bad idea? I am about 150 miles from Boyce equipment, I figure worst case of I can get there they may be able to help me fix it right

Attachments

TB58

Tried the teflon idea and no change. also realized that it is Saturday so not many options for a shop being open. Trying to find a place here that works on trucks, not having much luck.

TB58

Looks like Salt Lake is the closest option for having a line built, but everything is closed til Monday. Not sure if I would be better off trying to find a place to build a line in Salt Lake or go the extra 50 miles and hit up Boyce first thing Monday. Either way I am loosing three days on my trip, good thing I factored in 6 extra days.

TB58

my messing with it made it much much worse. got on 80, couldn't get out of 4th. good thing I payed for road side assistance. annoyingly they need the fire dept to come out and clear the scene since it is a fuel issue. once all that is done we will see how far they will tow me.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If someone closer had on hand another #2 line that would be the first thing I would try. Did you remove the lines to bypass the fdc? I haven't had to bypass one before so I don't know all the steps. Smart man factoring lots of extra time.

I would put my money on a broken or cracked line. Only way I can think of for it just to start happening. Also explains why it keeps getting worse when you mess with it.

Good luck wish I was closer, I have a couple of spare engines.

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jasonjc may a a couple hundred #2 lines stored at my place in OKC. Not sure if they are #2s. Will have to check.

TB58

I am thinking cracked line as well. Its on the tow truck and ready to roll out. I get one free tow and am concerned that if is more than just a new line I would have to pay for a tow tye rest of the way. I found a lot near their shop It sit til monday morning. I appreciate the offers, but with how all the projects have gone up to this point it will probably be more than just the line.

jasonjc

Jasonjc may a a couple hundred #2 lines stored at my place in OKC. Not sure if they are #2s. Will have to check.
Yes, per the GL paper they are #2's but only 54 of them. I don't know if we could get one to you faster or cheaper then you could get it from boyce. Let Warthog know if you need it. He'd have to handle the shipping and all.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Probably just a bad ferrule. They bite onto the fuel tube to make the seal. I bet replacing the line will fix you right up.

TB58

Jason, only 54? better set up an order. I think you are right, shipping would take a day or two, though Boyce will cost a bit I should have it up and running without having to cannibalize anyones truck. Also if they have time I am going to try and have them look over the engine to see if anything else is ready to give up on me.

gimpy, I was able to move the ferrule just a tiny bit, not sure how tight they are usually pressed on. It was spraying pretty good after a few miles trying to drive on the freeway.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought the ferrule was welded on and it let loose because the vibration clips were not put back on all the fuel lines.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks