• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Jeep questions

TacticalDoc

Looking at picking up an old jeep but don't know what they are worth and what to look for. I'm already doing the research but would like to ask for help here.

I'm looking at a 46 CJ2A, converted to look like a 44 MB. It has a new grill, new tires, fully rebuilt engine, and partially rebuilt transmission. The only major issues with it are that it needs a new master cylinder and clutch linkage. It comes with another 46 2a chassis. No title. Pictures below.

What is something like this going for?
What should I look for?
are parts hard to find for it?

This will be my first Jeep purchase.

http://www.thecj2apage.com/

11901462_1067173036641343_484320584_o.jpg11911402_1067173193307994_2126635197_n.jpg

jeepsguy

Hi,
Jeep parts are generally easy to get. Check with your state's DMV about the title. Some states make it very difficult to get a title for a vehicle that doesn't have one. You could end up with an expensive yard monument. If you have to work on it, you probably shouldn't pay over $1000. If the guy has gold fever, he may want much more.

TacticalDoc

I did more research on the parts and they seem to be easy to find. The master cylinder is about 40 bucks and the other parts are less than 100. The work doesn't seem to bad if that's all it needs. So, you thing a jeep like that is only worth 1000 bucks. I thought these 1940s jeeps were much more expensive.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't know where these fellas are finding Jeeps that look like that for $1000. I'll take two at that price. Parts Jeep or not, if it's solid, rust free, and that close to running/driving/stopping, I'd guess the price to be closer to $3.5k - 4k. Thats also assuming the CJ to MB conversion isn't a ridiculous bubbafied hack job. From those photos it looks fairly well done.

dmetalmiki

From the pictures, that vehicle looks like it could be finished to easily be a show event truck. Agree the value at +3.5 k. If you get it for less, then you have won. Especially if, as the previous poster mentioned, it is not a rust bucket, starts runs and stops ok. Keep us informed with pictures if you manage to obtain it.

TacticalDoc

I don't know where these fellas are finding Jeeps that look like that for $1000. I'll take two at that price. Parts Jeep or not, if it's solid, rust free, and that close to running/driving/stopping, I'd guess the price to be closer to $3.5k - 4k. Thats also assuming the CJ to MB conversion isn't a ridiculous bubbafied hack job. From those photos it looks fairly well done.
the guy wants 7K for it

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Too much in my opinion, but it ultimately depends on what you're willing to pay. Maybe he priced it at 7k to leave some room for negotiation. See if he'll take an offer. Unfortunately I find people don't understand negotiation much anymore, and they're firm on prices far too often.

Some folks may think I paid too much for my M38, but for several reasons it's the one I wanted so I'm good with it.

Last edited:

jeepsguy

For 7K, tell him to get a title for it. A lesson I have learned: It's better to buy a running/driving vehicle for a higher price than to buy a low price project and spend the money anyway on endless parts and time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks