• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

FMTV in California?

Blackmagic94

From my understand the CDL requirement may be waived in Cali due to it not having tandem axles, but they might stick you on the air brakes. As for Smog in Cali anything 1997 or 1998 or older is exempt for diesel.

creekjumper

Looks like there is one 1.5 hours from me. I've emailed owner to see what he has run into here in Cali. Any concept on fair price range of these units? This one looks stock Mil paint job but no good picts yet

NovacaineFix

It may not be in the same group of trucks you're looking for but I just bought a M818 that runs great and is farm fresh.

I'm going through the process of tagging and titling it as we type.

Good luck with your search

quickfarms

From my understand the CDL requirement may be waived in Cali due to it not having tandem axles, but they might stick you on the air brakes. As for Smog in Cali anything 1997 or 1998 or older is exempt for diesel.
The CDL requirement is based on GVW (over 26,000 a class b is required) number of axles (three or more requires a class a or b depending on the configuration) trailer (if the GVW of the trailer is 10,000 or more a class a is required)

Airbrakes are a grey area at the discretion of the CHP or DOT officer. Federally you are required to have an airbrake endorsement, the problem is that CA does not just issue the airbrake endorsement with out a CDL. The commercial rental companies have been fighting this for years because airbrakes are superior, cheaper to maintain and have a better resale value. Lately one of the largest rental companies has been asking for a CDL to rent any of there trucks. I would get the CDL with airbrake endorsement just to be safe.

The CA non commercial class A and B are only valid for house cars and camper trailers.

The smog exemption only applies to personal vehicles and I think the max CGVW is 14,000.

NovacaineFix

The CDL requirement is based on GVW (over 26,000 a class b is required) number of axles (three or more requires a class a or b depending on the configuration) trailer (if the GVW of the trailer is 10,000 or more a class a is required)
If you are correct then, I assume you are, that means anyone in Cali with a M35 and myself with a M818 will have to apply to a Class "B"?

According to my data plate, my truck weighs 19,260 empty but the listed GVWR Cross Country is 34,260 and Highway is 44,260. So which load rating does DMV use?

Here is my dataplate:

Screen Shot 2015-08-25 at 7.24.26 PM.jpg

creekjumper

I've resigned myself to the CDL if I don't end up with a smaller MOG. Things could be worst. Being able to drive something like a small bus (or troop transport) may be lucrative here in SoCal for farm tour related activities

jpinst

I just use one trip permits. Go to the DMV and give them whatever you have, title, gov liquidation docs, etc....and ask for a one trip permit. Its cheap and then you can drive the truck camping, car show, parade, whatever. Don't forget to get insurance though. USAA does not seem to care and have insured everything I have, no issues at all.

As for the CDL, you do not need one...take it from a lawyer. I have heard all the arguments why you do, but a strict reading of the law tell me clearly it is not required for a military truck, used by a civilian and not for commercial purposes.

quickfarms

As for the CDL, you do not need one...take it from a lawyer. I have heard all the arguments why you do, but a strict reading of the law tell me clearly it is not required for a military truck, used by a civilian and not for commercial purposes.
What is your citation for this?

I have been told by the CHP that a CDL is required.

quickfarms

If you are correct then, I assume you are, that means anyone in Cali with a M35 and myself with a M818 will have to apply to a Class "B"?

According to my data plate, my truck weighs 19,260 empty but the listed GVWR Cross Country is 34,260 and Highway is 44,260. So which load rating does DMV use?

Here is my dataplate:

View attachment 577625
There is another line in the CA law that states on three axle vehicle over 6,000 lbs requires a class b

For a tractor you are better to have a class a

NovacaineFix

I just use one trip permits. Go to the DMV and give them whatever you have, title, gov liquidation docs, etc....and ask for a one trip permit. Its cheap and then you can drive the truck camping, car show, parade, whatever. Don't forget to get insurance though. USAA does not seem to care and have insured everything I have, no issues at all.

That sounds good and I appreciate the advice coming from a lawyer, as I know enough that the law can be interpreted in many ways depending on who is reading the law and for what reason. From what I read of the law was the same, no CDL required for a "private" person owning one and driving unless it is either over the 26,000 lb. weight or used for commercial purposes, like tours or for hauling and such.

I just found out about the 1 day permits or 1 trip pass, what ever they are called, it seems to be the perfect thing.

As for my insurance, State Farm, my agent stated that most likely, but not 100%, that the insurance will be Commercial type because it is a Heavy Duty truck. Hopefully that won't stir the pot when going to the DMV, in case they see the word "Commercial" and think that I am trying to pull one over on them. Either way I can just explain the reason.

NovacaineFix

There is another line in the CA law that states on three axle vehicle over 6,000 lbs requires a class b

For a tractor you are better to have a class a
I forgot about that line, crap. I think this is what keeps getting me.

Without that line in there, I would say yes, no CDL required, as my truck is under the limits for the requirement, except the 3rd axle.
This would also classify all duece's as well, correct, since they are 3 axle trucks.

quickfarms

I forgot about that line, crap. I think this is what keeps getting me.

Without that line in there, I would say yes, no CDL required, as my truck is under the limits for the requirement, except the 3rd axle.
This would also classify all duece's as well, correct, since they are 3 axle trucks.
The three axle over 6,000 lbs is a strange law but it is on the books under what you are permitted to drive with a class c license.

A Duece is a strange vehicle with three axles and a low GVW. With a Duece you are safer to have at least a class B CDL. The problem with the data plates is a officer could just go by the combined carrying capacity of the tires.

A M818 is a three axle tractor. A class B is required, there is an interpretation that since it is a tractor the purpose of the vehicle is to tow a trailer over 10,000 and a class a is required. If you have removed the fifth wheel and installed a cargo bed without changing the title so it is not listed as a tractor then you could be cited and impounded for an incorrectly registered vehicle.

When dealing with this it is better to take the most conservative approach so that you do not have any legal issues in the future.

jpinst

CHP officers are not lawyers and take a 3 week class on CA law. ...they can also issue you a citation for not having one, but they would be wrong. A CDL is for commercial use hence "Commercial" in its name. If you are not using the truck for commercial purposes, then you cannot get past the first few lines of the law. A "commercial vehicle as one that transports for hire either people or products." You cannot be required to get a commercial driver's license if you are not using your vehicle for commercial purposes. Beyond that, you can ignore the requirements. What a lot of people do, is read deep into the law and find requirements that match their vehicle, but forget about the initial part of the law. The same goes for all the other "Commercial" class licenses.

However, it was clearly contemplated there may be an instance where one is not using a vehicle for commercial purposes, but given its size or whatever, they decided they would require a special license. - this is why they added another regulation and another license class - "Noncommercial Class A and B." It's important to note here - through the existence of this law, they admit the requirement for CDL is that the vehicle must be used for "commercial" purposes, because if it's not, then its "noncommercial and may be covered by another class." HOWEVER, MV's (most) don't fit in this category either, because they are not large trailers, farm equipment or 40' house cars. But the law clearly recognizes that in the case where the vehicle is large multi axel, has air brakes or whatever, but is not used for commercial purposes, then its covered by another law - but this law does not cover MV's, so your off the hook.

Put it this way, suppose I have a house car, which is basically a giant bus turned into a camper. It meets ALL the requirements for a CDL. BUT, because it's not commercial and thus escapes the law, the state added a "noncommercial" class that explicitly covers it. Therefore, in order to need a CDL for your MV, you have to be using it for commercial purposes or it has to fit into one of the noncommercial classes.

jpinst

For the one trip permits, I went to the DMV, pid the $25 I think it was and showed them my GL document (did not even have a title) and they issued the permit. Its not very specific either, so I suppose you could use it within a week or two of getting one.

DSD277

You only need ask the DMV for the one trip permits, and the quantity wanted. You then fill the permit with the required info when you use it. They were S18 each, then when to S19 last year, haven't needed any lately. I usually bought 6 or more at a time, just to avoid a bunch of trips to the DMV.
There are restrictions, no loads, no trailers. They are intended for parades, car shows, and getting a vehicle for repair work or inspections.

Go to the DMV site and search the one trip permit

Spoolinup

Hello All,

I've been trying to find info on how or if possible to register or legally drive a M1078 on roads here in Norcal. I'm a "Newby" here and not up to speed with the DMV requirements. I think I understand I could own a M35A2 and register it as a historical vehicle, but I think I would rather have a M1078.

Thank you in advanced.

Dane

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks