• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oshkosh wins JLTV Contract.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.armytimes.com/story/defe.../2015/08/25/oshkosh-wins-jltv-award/32278319/

WASHINGTON — The US Army, in its largest contract award in years, selected Oshkosh to build its Humvee replacement, the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV), the Army announced Tuesday.

The article ends with discussion regarding Protest of the award (as per the norm for anything big) but it's there.

One thing that "concerns" me, with the height of the JLTV, how high do the shelters start getting? Seems like it'd be pretty friggen tall!

Waters

So it's a MATV minus one third the weight and size? Or something like that. In 2011 I had barely been introduced to the MATV when I started seeing upgrades making them more the size of mraps. I figured the mobility gained from sacrificed armor had been given up and they were adding more armor again. But now I see we are still trying to get that mobility.

I suppose I welcome the new jltv. Barely used the MATV but it amazed me how it stopped on a dime, kept giving us whiplash while I got used to it. Riding in style compared to a lumbering max pro.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Size was dictated by the proposal. they still have to fit in a C-130 as far as I can tell. Hence smaller and lighter than an MATV.

And yes, Oshkosh does have the wheeled vehicle market cornered.

tim292stro

So it's a MATV minus one third the weight and size? Or something like that...
Think up armored HMMWV replacement with more package flexibility and "system intelligence" essentially, and a drive-train/suspension that was conceived to handle the armor packages from the start, nothing more.

...In 2011 I had barely been introduced to the MATV when I started seeing upgrades making them more the size of mraps. I figured the mobility gained from sacrificed armor had been given up and they were adding more armor again...
...Riding in style compared to a lumbering max pro.
The early MRAPs were a rush to production, to fill an "urgent need" in the Middle East combat zones. One military news article a few years back was saying they were done (from idea to delivery) in less than 33 months. You get what you pay for when you rush like that. Reminds me of the retail saying:

"...
* Quality
* Speed
* Low-cost
You can only pick two..."

Size was dictated by the proposal. they still have to fit in a C-130 as far as I can tell. Hence smaller and lighter than an MATV...
And droppable by C-5/C-17, and sling loadable with CH-53 and CH-47.
Looks like Oshkosh has just about cornered the market on MV's. They now make the HETT, HEMMET, LMTV, PLS and now this. Methinks the fix may have been in.:whistle:
Consider that Oshkosh is the only actual heavy truck manufacturer to submit a proposal other than AM General (and their entry was a POS IMHO).

Oshkosh was able to basically rise/repeat the MATV in a reduced form-factor and they have the manufacturing, training, and supply chain stuff already in place. As a tax payer I would have been mad if DoD went any other way, my 2cents.

04mustang

Meet the next HMMWV

http://www.defensenews.com/story/de.../2015/08/25/oshkosh-wins-jltv-award/32278319/

Oshkosh has won a 30 Billion dollar contract with the Army and Marines to produce the next HMMWV, the program is called the JLTV, or joint light tactical vehicle. The Oshkosh design is named the L-ATV. and is supposed to have the protection of an MRAP with the weight and mobility similar to a HMMWV.
AM General and Lockheed Martin also submitted designs for the JLTV project but they were not awarded the contract.
The trucks will cost less than $400,000 each.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you are in it and an IED goes off I'm sure you won't be quibbling over how much it costs if it works.

Lawdog734

At $400k per truck, I have my doubts on if it's truly a replacement for the humvee. I can see it replacing it in combat roles, but there is still a use for a lightweight (comparatively speaking) non-armored vehicle for other roles, unless they plan on buying a bunch more LSSV's for that purpose.

There was nothing wrong with the humvee until the military started using it in roles that were better suited for Bradley's and AAV's - but those are also big, heavy and harder to quickly move around to new theatres. It was only then that it was deemed "unsuitable" and they started piling armor on that overwhelmed suspensions and drivetrains.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I didn't see a shelter carrier variant. So it hasn't replaced it in that role. Or am I wrong?

04mustang

There are supposed to be multiple variants, and they will be replacing about 1/3 of the army HMMWV's by the time the contract is up, which is 2040.
Like it or hate it, the HMMWV is on the way out and this will be the replacement, eventually.

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
But it wont completely replace the HMMWV anytime soon. It will likely serve the same roll as the M113 currently does. Inside the wire, and only to be used on mine swept roads.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
http://www.defensenews.com/story/de.../2015/08/25/oshkosh-wins-jltv-award/32278319/

Oshkosh has won a 30 Billion dollar contract with the Army and Marines to produce the next HMMWV, the program is called the JLTV, or joint light tactical vehicle. The Oshkosh design is named the L-ATV. and is supposed to have the protection of an MRAP with the weight and mobility similar to a HMMWV.
AM General and Lockheed Martin also submitted designs for the JLTV project but they were not awarded the contract.
The trucks will cost less than $400,000 each.
My trucks all cost a lot less than $400,000!!!

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Look, that number per truck is typical "get me through the front door" pricing....it will most likely end up being an additional 200k per truck...hope I'm wrong, but we see it all the time. My question is what is the future of AM General moving forward...I suspect they very well might be done for..the Humvee-C project ain't gonna keep the doors open.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks