• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LME maintenance tent erection

m38inmaine

Looks great, I remember help setting up the old canvas maint. tents. If we were lucky we had a bucket loader to help, if not standing on top of the 5 ton cargo cover was the norm. Of course uncle sam had plenty of privates at his disposal.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Okay so how do you lace up the two sections once you have put them up separated?

You go flying
I used to work in restoration. Its pretty wild when they hang a swing seat from a crane hook and your the guy that has to sit in it while working on a church steeple. Funny, I usually only got the willys once I was on my way down, not on the way up.

glassk

If glassk gets it to me, I'll get it to you at the GAMVR.
I dropped it off yesterday, it's not wrapped though, there was an ad in the wanted section with someone wanting that NSN, and had some of your type Swiss's parts for trade , just a thought,...

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I dropped it off yesterday, it's not wrapped though, there was an ad in the wanted section with someone wanting that NSN, and had some of your type Swiss's parts for trade , just a thought,...
Yup...it's in the bed of the Gator and will be making the trip North.:beer:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This tent is not coming down in my lifetime :). I drilled concrete anchors and bolted the legs to the blocks pictures later

NEIOWA

This tent is not coming down in my lifetime :). I drilled concrete anchors and bolted the legs to the blocks pictures later
You hope. Had 2 of the old arch style (canvas) to house Fire Dept equipment (fire station too small). Overnight WET snow storm broke the joints and brought both down. Snow probably not going to be issue with you in Ga.

Now in process of putting up these new style. Put up 16ft of framem added one section of cover then lifted (by hand) one side at a time so could add the leg 6 extensions. Plan is to now add on the next 16ft one rafter at a time.

You have problem with getting all grommets over the pins at the corners of the rafters? I still have 2 on opposite corners to get over the pins. Some trick anyone knows? Frame tents may have the same design but I've never set one up (GP mediums and mobiflex tents in my day).

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The pins required me stretching the canvas using rachet straps down to my tractor. It did take some maneuvering and about an hour per each section to figure out

The key is not to rip anything. I used the rope tie downs but would suggest the clips that have teeth and be careful

NEIOWA

A helpful hint for future fearless. To pull the grommets in canvas over the large pins use flat jaw welding "visegrips" to grab the canvas. As at http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-welding-and-sheet-metal-clamp-set-30024.html

Worked slick, spread out the "grab" area and the shape of the back of the tool act as a fulcrum when levering the canvas over the pin.

Now my BIG problem as I one section of canvas on the frame (other than is now cold and with 6" of snow) is that the canvas on frame is MISSING the grommets to attached the next section of canvas. Has becket cords on both ends and grommets on only ONE end. I want to make a warranty claim. The 2nd section of canvas has grommets/beckets on bought ends.

I'm not sure what going to do. Trying to install 50 grommets does not sound appealing at all.

Have the entire frame up with 1/2 of canvas on. Withstood very high winds this week (40+ mph) and last night 6" of snow.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Most awesome, we need pictures please.

A helpful hint for future fearless. To pull the grommets in canvas over the large pins use flat jaw welding "visegrips" to grab the canvas. As at http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece-welding-and-sheet-metal-clamp-set-30024.html

Worked slick, spread out the "grab" area and the shape of the back of the tool act as a fulcrum when levering the canvas over the pin.

Now my BIG problem as I one section of canvas on the frame (other than is now cold and with 6" of snow) is that the canvas on frame is MISSING the grommets to attached the next section of canvas. Has becket cords on both ends and grommets on only ONE end. I want to make a warranty claim. The 2nd section of canvas has grommets/beckets on bought ends.

I'm not sure what going to do. Trying to install 50 grommets does not sound appealing at all.

Have the entire frame up with 1/2 of canvas on. Withstood very high winds this week (40+ mph) and last night 6" of snow.

NEIOWA

Ended up jus overlapping the center seam. Did not install the missing grommets. Has withstood 2 Iowa winters snow/wind with no problem. Stores Fire Dept vehicle/trailers that no room at the fire station.

LMT setup.jpg
The nylon material is a huge improvement over old canvas of the arch maint tents. Snow mostly slide off this tent.

Wish we had a couple more of these but tents as listed on DLA/GSA sites as surplus are a puzzle. Generally with no info (NSN or nomenclature).

coachgeo

awesome thread. very informative

WARNING... many of these pictures are loaded via tapatalk.... that means there is 99% chance this thread will be come worthless somewhere in the next couple years cause like all picture hosting sites...... they DIE.... or turn to pay for play or the likes as Photobucket did.

UPDATE: apparently tapatalk switched from uploading pics to discussion boards, to hosting pics on their servers AFTER this thread was created... so all is good for this thread. That explains the confusion on why folk don't realize that these days tapatalk does NOT uploaded pics to a site.... only host them like a photobucket service.

UPDATE..... glad I miss read it.... Keep up the good fight Swiss.

Last edited:

coachgeo

Most awesome, we need pictures please.
Swiss; glad I miss read and your still doing good deeds..... Keep up the good fight Swiss. Got an update on how your LME's are holding up?

If you can still edit your post with tapatalk pics... please upload them and edit them into post here. Tapatalk will eventually drop the pics or ask you to pay for them to be posted. see my previous post for explanation that tapatalk pics are NOT uploaded..... just hosted.

if you can't get in to edit them anymore..... ask a mod or admin to?? hate to lose the awesome info in this thread that would happen when tapatalk drops hosting the pics.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was real easy in the past via taptalk to upload pics and go. Then as usual everything changes. I think the older uploads show uploaded by TapTalk but will not delete in the future.

PS I did put up another LME tent a few years back so I have 2 and extended on another 16 feet.

coachgeo

It was real easy in the past via taptalk to upload pics and go. Then as usual everything changes. I think the older uploads show uploaded by TapTalk but will not delete in the future.

PS I did put up another LME tent a few years back so I have 2 and extended on another 16 feet.
sweet...... went back and looked and your correct... they are "uploaded" apparently at some point they switched to "hosting" on their own servers. Wonder what year they did that hmmmm...

How long is standard LME? thought it was 24x32ft? (taken from their website) or is it only 16'.... with 32' as an option iffff you tie a second one in?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks