• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PRESSURE is DANGEROUS

99nouns

Perhaps we should have locations of those pressure valves and how to inspect and maintain them with dedicated sticky thread...

saddamsnightmare

October 11th, 2015

Rebelques87:

Back in 1985 I had the chance to witness the results of a tank like the one in your video that had blown in a factory fire around Thanksgiving in 1984 up in Buffalo, NY. The train that was hauling my passenger car to Cape Cod went through that area about 5 months after the blast, and it looked like Hiroshima for about 4-5 blocks, all that was left was the brick and block foundations, and tons of debris.... Very frightening when you consider the railroad LNG and Propane tankcars of today are many times larger then the tank that was used in used in the video above.....

Remember gents, Hydrostat your air brake reservoirs at least every two to four years, you won't regret the peace of mind you get from knowing that the tanks passed (or didn't, as the case may be).;)

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Split rims are a scary thing. The UH-60 uses a rim that has 7(older) or 14(new) 3/8ths(i think, its been a while) bolts plus the axle to hold it together. The tire is aired up to 140psi. You are supposed to deflate it prior to removing it from the axle and not air it up until it is torqued back on the axle. It happens every once in a while that some one tries to save time by not deflating it. It is generally not survivable.

Ford Mechanic - sounds like when we used to play with the MRE heaters in a soda bottle when we got bored in the field. You are right, they do sound pretty close to a 556 going off.

Couldn't agree more. I mistakenly worked on two of four tires with split rims (14x24's , 90 psi) before considering if they were split rims or not. Luckily I was only using a wire brush on the rims to clean and paint, but pulled the tires off fully inflated (had to use a hydraulic ram on one of them).......completely stupid on my part. I recently paid for a tire shop to insert new tubes, inflate with a cage, and mount on the machine (crane). As a side note, I inflate all my tires (big and small) with a 20ft hose.

IMG_2289a.jpgIMG_2271a.jpg

M936 Dave

Prank gone wrong...

I had a service writer that was "large", everyone joked around and pulled pranks from time to time in the shop. One day I took a 2 liter bottle and installed a air tool connection in the top. Ready with a loose air hose connected to it I waited for him to go get comfortable on the toilet in the shops 2 stall bathroom. The room door stays open cause the fans broke. The whole room might be 12 ft x 12 ft.

So I go running to the rest room and give the other end of the hose to another tech. I held the bottle by the house into the adjacent stall and signaled for the other tech to plug the hose in.

We'll I had forgotten to remove the film on the out side of the bottle. So it doesn't bust when it fills to 150 psi. So I poked it with my knife. ....

It was as loud as shooting a AR inside that small room. It went off with so much force it knocked all the toilet paper holders off the walls and off the back of the toilets. The stall walls were barely hanging on to start with, well it finished off the side he was in. It rattled the windows throughout service, parts, and sales. Folks came running from every where to see what went wrong. Needless to say there was a mess in his stall.

My ears rang so loud for 12 hrs I could hardly hear, every one had to almost shout so I could understand them. My ears hurt also, it took over 3 days for the ringing to subside.

I won't try that prank in a enclosed space ever again.

It was still funny as crap though!
Sounds like myself making a small acetylene bomb in a 100,000 sq ft shop. Myself and 5 other coworkers figured with the size of it it won't be loud at all. Boy were we wrong. All 7 supervisors from different machine departments were having their 9am daily meeting in the front office, mind you this entire building is concrete including the ceilings lol and there's a mosque across the road lol. When I heated the rod up with torch to set it off it went off so LOUD it rattled the Windows in the front office so bad pictures were falling off the walls, the people at the mosque who were inside at the time come running outside, etc etc. Needless to say big things can come in small packages. Omg I couldn't hear anything for like 2 days.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks