• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M561/M792 Gama Goat VIC-1 VRC-12

wsucougarx

Has anyone put a VIC-1 and the VRC-12 radios in their Gama Goats? I have yet to secure my Goat but just doing some project planning well ahead of time;-) Just want to see what you have done. I know there are some better intercom option out there but I'm not interested in civilian setups though they are superior. As those that know me, I am a purist when it comes to my MV's and want to keep the equipment original.

BillIdaho

I have a VIC1 mounted, and the VRC series installed.
Very different from a MUTT mount. The mount shown goes on either side of the front of the carrier. The ones that go on the back of the rear carrier-over the tail lights--are harder to find, and the one that goes on the front fender is stupid hard to find.
Once again, I need to get off my lazy-night-shift-working posterior, and get pics posted of my Comm-rig.

wsucougarx

Bill,Idaho's Outstanding setup!!!!!!! #1

Hello gents,
One of our very own Goat owners, Bill,Idaho, was gracious enough to send me pics of his Outstanding VIC-1/VRC/GRC setup in his M561. As most of you know, reference materials and pics seem to be absent in this technology age. Unfortunately, the Goat was around before all these little gadgets were in place. So therefore, many potential pics, are not around like the deuce and 5 tons. These pics are invaluable for those wanting radios/VIC-1's in their Goats. I mean I never knew some of these mounts ever existed. I had no idea there was an antenna mount for the driver front fender. Now we all know what these mounts look like thanks to Bill.
Now, Bill has been extremely busy as a public servant. Please keep in mind he covered it up about 6 months ago (winterized), and hasn't touched it since. Thanks for your service Bill!!!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

combat32

That is really nice Bill, thanks for sharing those pictures.

Seeing all that como gear reminds me of the time I was on a JTF 6 mission on the Mexican border.
I had a singcars, am radio, satcom and a cell phone for backup, a million dollars worth of como gear and of course from the op location I was assigned I couldn't talk to anyone:mrgreen:

Jericho

your power supply is most likely already in place, look under the dash just above the trans tunnel its about center of the dash,, The RT 524 radio fits into the space where some goats have the dash box, or the flat circuit breaker panel. JUst pull the box or the breaker panel and the 524 slips right in, the lower passenger side of the radio rest on a simple L bracket about a foot long and roughly 1 inch by 1 inch attached to the foot well of the hull. on a diagonal .

Jericho

your power supply is most likely already in place, look under the dash just above the trans tunnel its about center of the dash,, The RT 524 radio fits into the space where some goats have the dash box, or the flat circuit breaker panel. JUst pull the box or the breaker panel and the 524 slips right in, the lower passenger side of the radio rest on a simple L bracket about a foot long and roughly 1 inch by 1 inch attached to the foot well of the hull. on a diagonal . I used a passenger side cargo trailer "sugar scoop" mount for the antenna and tapped inline to the electrical junction block under the radiator back to a surge protector mounted on the codriver bulkhead behind the seat. I mounted the 1760 in the center top of the dash and the intercom control boxes on the left and right sides of the top or the dash, doesn't hinder vision and is in full view and easy to adjust Two headsets allow the crew to chat comfortably while in motion and its also tapped into regular music radio as well.

Jericho

Ill get some pictures when the sun comes back out, Then ill have to get my nine year old grandson to show me how to upload them . LOL Can fix F-16s and SR -71s don't know how to move things from my I phone to this site.

Jericho

Both M 38, cant find any clear instructions on how to upload photos, but, managed to blunder two into my "ALBUM : under my profile of my 400 small block Gama Goat with a Rt 524 and vic one set up installed. If you would like to have a look guys feel free, if you know how to move them to this thread , please do! . Its well below zero here , ill make a drawing of the rear bows with measurements when it warms up, perhaps , ill make some, need to look at the cost of materials, my sons a plumber, got all my conduit from him for free, don't even know how much it cost, Antenna was a sugar scoop and adapter on the passenger side of the front of the carrier. will post a photo if I can!

Jericho

Posted pictures of my Vic 1 install in my profile photo log, don't know how to pull them into this thread , Actuall y put them there a few weeks ago,,forgot to post I had done it I guess

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks