• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M561/M792 Gama Goat VIC-1 VRC-12

wsucougarx

I heard about mounting the radio where the dash panel is. However I've never seen a pic of an actual installation. Looks great! Are the C-2298 and AM-1780 dash mounted brackets USGI? I like it!!! Did the military have provisions for mounting the passenger dash panel (panel with the flasher control and breakers) in an alternative location? The only practical location I can think of would be the underside of the MT-1029.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did the military have provisions for mounting the passenger dash panel (panel with the flasher control and breakers) in an alternative location? The only practical location I can think of would be the underside of the MT-1029.
You can see the flasher unit just sitting there in pic #2. I'm guessing that's not a standard military unit install.

Jericho

Thanks M 38 in maine for posting the pics to the thread, I still haven't figured out how to do it. I just installed the PTO for the winch and have the dog house all out. The fuse / breaker panel mounts right back under the radio on four bolts with spacers, stays secure and doesn't really take up any leg room, 32 thousands stainless safety wired wing nuts hold it in place. All of the cables are ADEL clamped with stainless 10/28 hard ware with lock nuts and flat washers. This particular goat was a USAF goat procured from the Army, used as a brush fire vehicale on a weapons range, The placement of the brackets was in the same positions that were used in the motor pool. The AF had very few tactical vehicles that were AF specific. Most were Army/ AF joint efforts, At Spangdahlem AB Germany we even had Two M-60 tanks at the 52 TFW for EOD. lol Took these pics a few months ago , its laid up for the winter now. But I have replaced the perfectly servicable Detroit with a Chevy small block 400, lets me get up to 70 MPH ( down hill behind a logging truck) But really is great pulling hills in 4th The engine is a complete fresh rebuild packed with goodies from Summit Racing,The 400 hits max torque at 2000 RPM and this one puts out just short of 400 hp. Converted to 12 volt, double electric fans and zoomie headers. Power brakes from a GM 3500 powered off the power steering pump is the last major mod in the works For those searching for brake fittings Clinto , supplied all mine at a very very reasonable price , they are hard to find. Have just finished a custom gun mount for a M 1919 and have yet to add the roll cage and get it mounted. made it universal so I can also mount it on the passenger side of My M109A3a I the same location as a M 66 ring, but it is a 360 degree swing arm on jeep front hub bearings, works great .,is light and easy to move back and forth, just pins on with aircraft pip pins. ( just picked up a spare cab and are thinking hard about doing a four door cab on My 109 , and on it goes!

wsucougarx

Got another question, does anyone know the prescribed routing of the CX-4723 or other cabling from the carrier to the tractor? Just trying to figure out the correct configuration on how to route the cables.

Jericho

I havnt seen it in a pub. I simply used the existing brackets and clamps that were in place and reversed the runs , One of my goats had been a missle FAR radar carrier and had basic radio installed , prior owner had stripped the equipment but left the brackets and clamps in place. . if you cant find a pub look for clues, The tabs for the cables were still in the cab on the side walls

Jericho

I did se a listing for VIC install while cruiseing the web a year or so ago, belivie I called it "M561 radio installation instructions " it had a list of equipment and a few pages of text and photos, I was working an M 109 radio shack restoration at the time so I blew past it . I know its listed in the "N.I.R.T." tables (AF speak for Numerical Index and Requirements Table, )The Army has the same pub , it was a joint printing on tactical vehicals , but I don't remember the Army TITLE T.O. ( AF, Technical Order. )number.

Jericho

Try the U S Army Technical Bullitin site on the web, it has a comprehensive list , access can be gained with some finess

m38inmaine

Vic 1 installation kit , no cab radio 5830-135-0145, with cab radio 5830-135-0146, for commo vehcle & for radio and intercom in rear 5830-135-0147. Instructions vic 1 in rear 7610-113-3065. Stock numbers can be found in SB-11-131.

The cab radio mount kit was cancelled early in 1970 which would explain their rarity.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks