• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up an R2 crash truck today...

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
My brother found an R2 listed for sale this morning for a good price, so after a few hours of driving we bought it! It looks to be in decent shape, it needs work but it's definitely worth saving. I'll take a closer look at it tomorrow and post some more pictures.

Attachments

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW, great save. In what area was it in and what are your plans for it. There is a guy who is a member of the RI MVCC who has one, I can see if I can find his contact info for you.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
It was down near Saratoga NY. The first thing after cleaning it up is to see if the motor turns over/runs. The ad stated the motor was stuck; the owner said he put oil down the spark plug openings once in a while so we'll see if it frees up. I know when winching it on the trailer it moved a little bit in gear so it might be all set.

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Black Ops did some pressure washing this morning, there's still a ton of cleaning to do. The motor does indeed turn over so we'll take a closer look at getting it running this afternoon. The interior is pretty much gutted, but it looks like a good candidate for a cosmetic restoration.

Attachments

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Well, it cranks over good but doesn't run - there's no spark. The distributor vent lines are missing so it's possibly a cooked coil, or one of the other common distributor problems. On the plus side the floodlights on the roof work, as well as the dome light in the cab and some of the gauges. The siren isn't hooked up but it does work.:)

Attachments

Last edited:

dmetalmiki

That was a terrific find. What a great restoration project. Well worth collecting and saving to present at displays etc, and to enjoy driving around the local vista when completed. I am so impressed with the siren light!. the whole thing is so original. (and desirable).
Enclosed a picture of my truck towed home before restoration.

Attachments

Last edited:

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Well, a couple cylinders had no compression so we pulled the head which confirmed a couple stuck valves. Everything looks good now so we'll hopefully have it back together this weekend. The odometer indicates around 7000 miles which seems to be in the ballpark based on the original tires up front. I just sold a super nice set of front fenders, an early style pintle hook, and front marker light brackets a month ago, now I need to buy all that stuff for this truck.aua I didn't plan on building up an m37 to keep, but how often does a crash truck show up?:D

Attachments

vtdeucedriver

Well, a couple cylinders had no compression so we pulled the head which confirmed a couple stuck valves. Everything looks good now so we'll hopefully have it back together this weekend. The odometer indicates around 7000 miles which seems to be in the ballpark based on the original tires up front. I just sold a super nice set of front fenders, an early style pintle hook, and front marker light brackets a month ago, now I need to buy all that stuff for this truck.aua I didn't plan on building up an m37 to keep, but how often does a crash truck show up?:D
Hmmmmmm,
I might have some of that stuff laying around :) How bad are the fenders???? I got a pair that need a little work

Evil Dr. Porkchop

Supporting Vendor
Almost a year later and nothing has changed with the R2.:shrugs: A lot of other smaller projects have taken priority.
We did pick up some parts trucks last year, so we've got decent fenders, the right pintle setup, and a couple other engines to look at if it comes down to that.
IMG_1873.jpgIMG_1874.jpgIMG_1955.jpgIMG_1956.jpg
We dragged it back over to the barn today, we're hoping to get some work done on it once the m756a2 is painted.:jumpin:
IMG_2746.jpgIMG_2735.jpgIMG_2736.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks