• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M39 series vs. M809 series questions on PTO and transmission

deuceman51

So after a little research I have found that the M809 series transmission is basically the same as the M39(M54 cargo) transmission, but with overdrive gears to better match the Cummins engine. Is there any other differences in the transmissions that a guy should know about? I have a multifuel truck that the transmission bell housing is cracked on and I have a good M809 series transmission ready to bolt in or can I change the bell housings on the transmissions? They look identical to me with the only difference I have found is on the input shaft collar. They vary by less than 1/4" in length, but of course that could make a difference. Has anybody directly swapped them out before? Also, is there any difference in the PTOs between M809 and M39 series trucks? Again, they look 100% identical to me. Transfer cases seem to be the same between the 2 series of trucks from what I have been told.

Thanks in advance!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
From what I understand, it is a similar deal to the deuce transmissions. The original was non-over drive. Then they changed things inside to make it over drive.
Housings are the same.

There is a way to read the trans numbers and see what they mean, but I couldn't find it off hand.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Spicer 6453 OD transmission (installed in M809-series trucks) superceded the 6352 non-OD and will fit any M39-series multi-fuel LDS or Mack powered truck.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You will NOT LIKE the 5t od trans, a CRAP driving transmission, it has a HOLE between 3rd and 4th that the truck can get lost in, also a hole between 3rd and 4th, just not as bad, you WILL find that you ARE lugging the engine or at topped out tack, what you can do is switch the trans adapter from one trans to the other.

fasttruck

Reference post 4: the way to get around the "hole" between 3rd and 4th gear is to split shift the truck. 2-3-4-5 in l9ow range, then pick up high range and use 4 &5 in high. This makes 6 gears. An OD transmission will pick up about 7 miles per hour over direct drive. If you are yard running the truck this would not be a problem but topping out at 46 mph on an interstate will get you run over by the Peterbilts. Multifuels cannot be lugged so 6 gears will serve you better than 5. Had a M52A2 assigned to me in service and it had an OD transmission. I was the low bed driver so everything I moved was heavy: fork lifts, APCs, howitzers, other trucks, a 19000 pound rock once and so on. I ran that for 40,000 miles and finished up with the same clutch, transmission, u-joints and rears I started with. Watch the oil levels and lots of grease.

country

Supporting Vendor
This swap will work fine

you be a little low on power building speed in 5th gear, but once you get up to cruising speed- you will really prefer it over the non-Overdrive model

77 AMG

Bump for an old thread, again. You could swap the old 6352 NON OD into an M809 be okay, correct? The truck in question has the X-case from a 900 series in it, so it would still have OD, technically. It is also on 395/85/20s' currently. My current trans is acting like it is about to go out and I have access to the old 6352 that we have, in a storage can, no less.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes should be fine. if you have an input shaft size issue then they can be swapped. All spicer stuff is interchangeable

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bump for an old thread, again. You could swap the old 6352 NON OD into an M809 be okay, correct? The truck in question has the X-case from a 900 series in it, so it would still have OD, technically. It is also on 395/85/20s' currently. My current trans is acting like it is about to go out and I have access to the old 6352 that we have, in a storage can, no less.
Yep I know a few guys have put 6352s in M813s with 1600/20s. Can you do a thread about your conversion to the M939 type T-1138 transfer case? Love to see how you did it. Would like to do it to my M813

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks