• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35 Power steering choices

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
I ran across a big truck junk yard this week, and found two power steering systems that have interested me in eventually putting PS on my deuces. The first is an Air-o-matic that is currently mounted on some older ford heavy truck. The other is a TRW hydraulic power steering out of a dump truck. I have been sifting through past threads on PS for deuces for advice, and I have two questions.

Is is easy to convert an Air-o-matic from another application to work on the deuce?
On the TRW setup are there any clearance issues with mounting it outside of the frame? It looks rather compact, and from looking at my deuce I don't see any obvious problems.

Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Attachments

GunTruckBuilder

If mounting a pump is not an issue for you I'd go with the TRW hydraulic unit. While you're there see if you can find a hydraulic brake booster out of an International. Great units. Pull the pump and box. Get rid of your air over hydraulic brake set up. Big truck yards are fun.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
Does being lazy count as a handicap? Really I have been doing a bunch of towing recently with the other deuce, and then this IH that had the HIAB on it. Backing up to the lunette on anything but a flat surface is a pain in the ARMS if you can even get it to move. Actually I am thinking of going with both units. Put te Air-o-matic on the deuce I plane to keep more original, and then place the hydraulic on the HIAB truck. Other then the brakes being single circuit on one of my deuced I don't think there is anything wrong with the stock braking system.
I am interested in the air assist you have for sale actually, but I am cheap. I always thought $1300 was too high of a price anyways. Make me an offer I can't refuse 8)

jimk

In Memorial
In Memorial
Unless you are handicapped, there is no need for PS on any MV.
Here are some.
Resale value
Guest drivers
Backing up trailers
Tight spots off road
Winch weight on frt end
Reducing fatigue

As for the top pic, the 2 air lines (to the cylinder) are missing and the port(s) look like a mud wasp nest is in the end. A tear down/clean out may be necessary. New steering system components are nice from a safety aspect, though the vehicle should still steer if an air-o-matic fails. JimK

p.s. when the Stalwart was delivered it did not run. 2 strong men, 25+year career truck drivers at that, could barely turn the wheel when moving.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
On an air-o-matic the only things that I think you may have a problem with or need to fabricate would be the bracket that mounts to the U-bolts for mounting the cylinder, and making sure the drag link has the same angle and length. They are adjustable in length so that "should" not be a problem. As far as the angle I don't know if there were any differences between models but you should be able make it fit if they are close. I would think with a little tinkering with it you could adapt one fairly easily.

KaiserM109

Quote:
Unless you are handicapped, there is no need for PS on any MV.

Here are some.
Resale value
Guest drivers
Backing up trailers
Tight spots off road
Winch weight on frt end
Reducing fatigue
Also not pulling your thumb out of its socket when you forget and put it around the wheel on rough terrain.

jatonka

I have an air-o-matic setup off a Brockway. When I contacted the company and asked to buy rebuild kit for the aircylinder and the correct length and angle drag link/air valve assembly they told me very clearly I could buy a new complete steering kit for my M35 cheaper than the sum of the parts. And I forgot to ask about the mount plate at the right hand spring seat/ u bolt area. Hopefully they continue to manufacture the kits for the foreseeable future. They told me they will be making them as long as they can run 50 kits at a time. JT out

rmgill

I've towed around my 5ton trailer with no power steering and haven't really had problems. I've hooked it up so many times now that I can actually back up to it and not have to do very much, if any jockeying to get it right. Last time I hooked it up at the Reading Airshow in June, we had to load the dingo then unhook the trailer to go back onto the airfield to pack all our camp gear up and then, once packed go back and get the dingo and trailer. I pulled past, swung into line backed right up to the trailer, saw it wiggle and got out and the lunette was RIGHT over the pintle hook. I grabbed my buddy out of the cab and he was astonished. I had a good feeling about it too but still, it's pretty nice when you get it that right moving a 7 ton truck up to a 5 ton trailer backing up with just your mirrors (and it was raining too!).

jasonjc

My M109 with the air-o-matic does not seem to trun as tight as my M35 with plane steering. Does this sound right. Or do I have somthing wrong??

alphadeltaromeo

Jason

Sounds like you have something wrong there. Probably doesn't work with just "your" truck. Take it off, ship it to me and I'll give it a go... :roll:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
alphadeltaromeo said:
Jason

Sounds like you have something wrong there. Probably doesn't work with just "your" truck. Take it off, ship it to me and I'll give it a go... :roll:
Ah, yeah, sure ADR. Then when your done "trying it out", send it up to me for a thorough second opinion!!! rofl

jasonjc

Thats OK I'll just have to deal with. I wuold not what to pass my problem on to you. Beside I got shuch a good deal on this free install and they even included the truck to mount it on :p And they say there are no deals on GL any more rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Jason, weight on the rear tires is most likely the problem with the larger turning radius. Remove a rear axle shaft and give it another try, you will be pleasantly surprised.

Alumaduck

Newbie here, briefly looked at what I thought was a M35A2 but, the steering didn't look like others I have seen, can anybody identify what components these are. It looks like a high reduction power steering box with a super long drag link going to a cantilevered pivot point that multiplies the the movement going through another long drag link to the steering arm. I have not contacted the seller.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks