• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 Carb rebuild problem

M2116x6

I've just rebuilt my M211 carb and have a problem seating the top air horn tight to the throttle body. With the cork gasket in the grove on the air horn, I've got a gap between the gasket and the mating surface on the throttle body. It seams that the air horn is pivoting on the main body to throttle body gasket and seal, below the bowl. Surfaces appear straight and not warped.

I do have a second kit of different manufacture and all gaskets are the same thickness. Also have a spare carb and tried those components with the same results.

Has anyone else had this problem? I'm thinking of cutting a second cork gasket to double up.

Any advice appreciated

Jim

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
Is the kit NOS - if so, then the emphasis should be on OLD. IIRC, soaking the gasket in diesel or water (don't remember which) will make it expand, and perhaps solve the problem.

HTH,
David Doyle

M2116x6

One kit is NOS, one is newer manufacture. I used the newer manufacture kit however, the cork gasket in both kits is identical. If water or diesel fuel will expand it now, will it contract in the future leaving me with a vacuum leak?

acetomatoco

This 60 year old technology is getting frightening.. Cork was born in water, and it expands in water for sure...because when it is dehydrated, it shrinks...

M2116x6

If this gasket expands proportionately I'll have a problem. I need to increase the height, not width. If the width expands it will not fit into the grove around the perimeter of the air horn.

acetomatoco

It apparently is not the gaskets. You have a mechanical interference...Take it all apart again and be careful to fit all parts back into their correct locations...and look for interference...slow and easy as they say...put all the old components back in and see if the problem still occurs, if so compare all the new stuff to the old stuff and decide where the problem is. Most carb rebuilds are effected by cleaning and affected by poor assembly.

There are shims required for that carb. THe cover has to seal the bowl and the lowercover. Remove some of the body shims. That is why they are there.

stephenfeldmeier

I have rebuilt a couple of them, your problem sounds like its the spring sticking up from the top that that’s has a tab that has to line up in the grove, I wish I could remember how in detail did it, (its been a few years) but I remember I used safety wire of .020 to use as a guide. When it was time to put it all back together, I was able to pull out the safety wire through one of the mounting holes. Once I got the hang of it, it only took 15 seconds to reassemble. But that's the area you need to focus on is that spring and guide.
Good luck, I had more fun rebuilding the transmission then I did with that carb.

Steve

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks