• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Terminus M1009

cucvrus

I have named my salvage yard M1009 Terminus. Today after a long trip to NJ and back I wanted to get something accomplished at home. A short start to finish goal. I thought about my broken rear axle last week on my Crown of Thorns M1009 and then looked at Terminus M1009 and the light bulb shown bright. What if? What if all that was wrong with that rear was the axle also. I had nothing to loose. I jacked it up removed the lug nuts and beat the wheels off the rear axles with a sledge hammer. I blocked it up on the front spring eyes and left the jack down. The rear was hanging in the open. I pulled the right axle out. I lucked out it was broken at the splines almost identical to mine last week. So far so good. I removed the rear 10 bolt cover and the gear oil was like golden honey. Very clean and without any metal on the magnet. I pulled the center pin and removed the left axle the right one not as easy. i went and got the steel rod and hammered the axle piece in so I could pull the C clip. Not so fast. It was not going to cooperate. 008.jpgI was literally digging pieces of the axle out of the splines and the outer tube. I finally was successful and put the steel rod in from the left side lined it up and hit it with the sledge. The broken stub let loose. It shot out like a cannon. I did not even look for it yet. I wanted to stay on task. I made assessment and a parts list and to Autozone I went. New brake shoes, New brake hardware, New axle seals, New pinion center pin bolt and both E brake cables.
006.jpgAll these parts for less than $60. And then I went at it. 004.jpgAnyone ever use these type of pliers for removing the E brake cables? They are very handy. 005.jpgBoth E brake cables removed and the new one checked for proper fit and length before I climb under the truck to install them003.jpg002.jpgI removed everything from the backing plates. It was hard for me not the remove the backing plates and clean them and paint them but with a little counseling from my family I made it past that point without any issues. . 007.jpgCan you see what is missing on the right side brake assembly? No cheating. 009.jpgDo you see it now? I put it back in after a long search in the grass for the piece. 010.jpgThe left side was uneventful. And my camera went dead so this is it for pictures. I did get it back together and it did still have the Gov-Lok in good working order. So I drove it thru the field and tried it out in light dirt. Both rear wheels spin and lock as designed so it was a very successful day here at the farm. The front drive shaft has an issue. The loader must have bent it. No problem I am sure I have one of them to put on. If not for $125. I can have it rebuilt. This is a picture from the past couple weeks so you know what Terminus M1009 looks like. i would like to make it my Rausch Creek M1009 and save the crown of Thorns from such abuse. Speaking of Rausch Creek when is the next trip? 015.jpgThat snow plow has got to go. That is a mils stone hanging around my new toys neck. I will be doing some real cutting and slicing of this vehicle to make it trail friendly. I wanted to sell it but sales are slow and I need a new toy. Thank you for looking. And this work is being done by a non professional so I reserve the right to make errors and show things that are not to your liking. Have a nice day. But I do hope you like it. This would just be a parts vehicle if anyone else had it. And if I had not save it it would not even be here anymore it was literally 2 hours from the crusher pile when I found it.

Last edited:

cucvrus

thingamajig= Brake self adjuster mechanism. Very good. Thank you for the answer. Just a bit of humor. I was searching for the spring in the grass when I took the first picture. I use each side as an example for the other side when i am putting them back together. I basically know what i am doing but it never hurts to double and triple check everything when it comes to the braking system. I will never be that good not to.

cucvrus

004.jpg018.jpg017.jpgterminus M1009 lost its snow plow today. Thank goodness. I did not want a plow on this M1009. If I am going to keep it I wanted the plow to be the first thing gone. I would have sold the whole truck but that did not work out so well. I have a member here that bought the plow and I will be doing work here and there to get this ready for a new owner or an off road adventure. It runs well and everything works on it. I had to remove the park lamps to get to the wring that they had hooked up to the plow lights. They cut everything and wire nutted it. But it worked i guess that is all that mattered. Thank you for looking I have this M1009 listed in the Vehicles for sale.

Attachments

cucvrus

Today my Son and I decided to take a challenge of our speed and skills. We decided to do a complete woodland camouflage paint job to the Terminus M1009. Fair weather on Monday is the key to our success. We will sand and seal and paint the entire M1009 with 3 color camouflage or we will fail. Feel free to stop by. I am sure we can use a few hands for extras such as wheels. Today I am going to tag team Mr Rusty and Terminus M1009. I need to replace the inner fender aprons before the new batteries are laying out on the ground busted. I will post pictures later.

I wanted to add this I am allowing 8 hours for this challenge. And it must look good. just no body work. SAND, SEAL, & PAINT. outside. Weather is the only hold back.

Last edited:

cucvrus

004.jpg001.jpg002.jpg003.jpgToday I pulled Terminus M1009 out behind the garage to work in the shade. First007.jpg008.jpg order of business is to get the batteries mounted securely. 006.jpg005.jpgThe battery trays are so nice. I don't understand the rust on the inner apron. Only thing holding the front battery in was a block of 4X4. 009.jpg010.jpgHalf the inner fender is gone and the radiator support is nice and fixable with sanding and wire wheeling. 011.jpg

cucvrus

012.jpgFront brake pads are worn out. Off to Autozone for new pads. 014.jpgCaliper is seized on the right side. I will salvage one from another M1009. 013.jpgDonor parts are great. 016.jpg015.jpgI installed the right inner fender that I removed from my Mule during the rebuild. It is all in and complete. Tomorrow I will tackle the left side. I replaced all the fasteners and used fender washers to get some good support for the heavy batteries.

fitz

I'm looking forward to seeing how the 8 hour paint job turns out.
If I wasn't 400 miles away, I'd go help paint the rims.

cucvrus

021.jpg012.jpgI put another spare tire carrier in Terminus M1009. A replacement front drive shaft. The exhaust was falling off so I removed it. Not my favorite thing to do. But it had to be done. The hanging mufflers and pipes were just a trail hazard. 013.jpgI secured the new batteries under the hood as the original design.

Attachments

cucvrus

017.jpg016.jpgRepaired a few holes that were in the firewall for the snow plow cables. 020.jpg019.jpg018.jpg021.jpgTerminus M1009 is is place and waiting for paint. One set back is the weather. We are hoping for the best. What can I loose? If it starts to rain we stop painting. We will get it sanded and ready and see where we are at as far a weather. My Son is also on call tomorrow for work. Thanks for looking.

cucvrus

All kinds that I have in my shop. I am going to be a mixologist tomorrow. Did you ever see the episode of Gomer Pyle where the hippies painted the S280 shelter in the deuce?That was Reiner that played the hippy and the colonel thought that was the greatest camouflage he ever seen. I am not painting mine like that.

cucvrus

I have a question. If I run Dual 2 1/2" straight pipes in the same configuration as stock exhaust was is that going to have any adverse effect on the engine? I am just asking. I have the pipe and want to get by as inexpensive as possible. I am basically only going to use the Terminus M1009 as an off road vehicle from this point on. And if someone wants to buy it I/they can just put mufflers in place in the pipes. And if not it will just be my off road buggy. It will be getting constant improvements and upgrades on the zero budget as often as possible.

CUCVLOVER

I have straight 2.5 in true duals with 20in long 4in diameter tips. It has not had any adverse effects so far. The truck did have like 1.5 in duels with super restricive Mufflers, it is now a bit peppier and nice sound.

It should work the same but who knows, at 1500 its has some POP, 1700-2300ish it isnt that bad just has a good growl at about 2500 itgets loud again but not bad then its not bad until 2900 then its just loud. I don't know if its just the exhaust or the entire truck making noise.

rsh4364

IMO they should have come from gm with 2 1/2 pipes,with all the compression these motors have they like to breathe,and if you can add a H-pipe or X pipe you can pick up a bit more torque.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks