• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trailer safety!!!!

jasonjc

With all the post about what mite happen , killing the min van full of kid's. It seems a lot think those thing can never happen or wont happen to them.

Well I'd bet this guy on the way to the house or lake didn't think he was going to KILL a 21yr girl on a bike. BUT HE DID!!!!!
AAeiuHm.jpg

If you look at the trailer you see no brakes , no chains and the hitch is not the OEM.
AAeiOQY.jpg
I know this is not a MV , BUT ,how many here change the hitches, don't use chains, or think they do not need brakes.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/bo...si-cyclist/ar-AAeiF5A?li=BBgzzfc&ocid=DELLDHP

:soapbox::rant:

Last edited:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read the article and saw where the mentioned the hitch being modified. The hitch on the truck looks more than substantial (one of those combo pintle/ball hitches) but the hitch on the trailer looks small compared to the trailer tongue.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Safety chains would have prevented this, obviously.

If you fabricate something yourself, you need to be **** sure that the part you make/modify isn't the weakest point in the system. It isn't possible to build something indestructible, but you can make sure that it isn't the first point of failure.

Gunzy

In the second pic it appears that they are reattaching it to the truck. Unless they are inspecting the connection, what are they doing?

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the second pic it appears that they are reattaching it to the truck. Unless they are inspecting the connection, what are they doing?

Agreed. They have the trailer frame jacked up as though lifting the tongue to re-hitch the trailer to a tow vehicle. From the pic we CANNOT assume that it is the tow vehicle involved in the incident. It may simply be a recovery vehicle.

Although a picture IS worth a thousand words, there simply are not enough authenticated words included in the original post (OP) for any of us to weigh in with valid opinions or analysis.

Carry on.

quickfarms

Agreed. They have the trailer frame jacked up as though lifting the tongue to re-hitch the trailer to a tow vehicle. From the pic we CANNOT assume that it is the tow vehicle involved in the incident. It may simply be a recovery vehicle.

Although a picture IS worth a thousand words, there simply are not enough authenticated words included in the original post (OP) for any of us to weigh in with valid opinions or analysis.

Carry on.
If it is not the truck then they found another black Toyota truck

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Safety chains would have prevented this, obviously.

If you fabricate something yourself, you need to be **** sure that the part you make/modify isn't the weakest point in the system. It isn't possible to build something indestructible, but you can make sure that it isn't the first point of failure.
What part was fabricated? I can't tell for sure in the pic.

Just going by the pic, it looks as if they just forgot to latch the ball or had mismatched ball/hitch size and no safety chains. Maybe they had a fabricated receiver hitch and they replaced it with something else to re-hitch?

jasonjc

The hitch on the trailer does not look like it came on the trailer. The trailer is galvanized the hitch should be too , at least all the pic's I've seen of those type are. New York law state all trailers over 3000lbs gross weight require brakes. That trailer didn't look too have any.

icecreamman

I cant see anything wrong other than no safety chains in this pic. Not enough info or pictures....

Looks like a "pintle hook" style truck hitch inserted into a receiver hitch and all appears in place. IMO, a properly locked and pinned receiver pintle hook like this along with a locked and pinned trailer hitch is double redundancy.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been to several MV events and seen a number of neglected trailers with poor tires, non op lights, missing safety chains etc. Guys just haul their stuff around and don't think about the condition of their trailer. The attitude is hey it's just a trailer!...........sad.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm perpetuating this thread (thanks to its general type title) to another thought on TRAILER SAFETY (and inherently, TOWING SAFETY)

One MUST be very careful in identifying, selecting, and using SAFETY CHAIN ANCHORAGES......

12510501_660379517436955_7328830200202846959_n.jpg

I think I now comprehend just WHY when I was first introduced to those PIN RETAINERS that I was told they were called JESUS CLIPS.

Please take this post as a HOW NOT TO DO IT methodology.

Carry on.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, Surely somebody did that and took the pic as a joke. I can't imagine somebody would be that stupid but in all honesty, I've seen worse.

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
John, Surely somebody did that and took the pic as a joke. I can't imagine somebody would be that stupid but in all honesty, I've seen worse.
Maybe so, maybe not.
I have seen some of those "jokes" doing their absolute best, working beyond their God-given capacities. That's why I always check the work of any volunteer Soldier B's the "help" with our MVs.

Still, it's a fun photo with which to stir some safe-thinking.

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
YES, there ARE people that stupid. Warming up gasoline on the stove because they had fuel line freeze up comes to mind...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In reference to the original article and why they would be hooking it back up to the truck, here where I work, any vehicle involved in a traffic homicide incident gets impounded for a "Vehicle Autopsy". It's possible that they were put back together and securing it to a trailer for transport back to an impound facility. That's what I'm guessing. Those type of a frame and lever couplers are adjustsable to compensate for wear and rust. Check yours before the next trip.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks