• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1078 LMTV planetary hub setup

agazza2

Planetary gear setup tool - clearance check

Steve6x6x6 - could you draw up the dimensions for your tool you used for the Planetary gear clearance check? I would like to get one made prior to tearing apart my noisy front axle. A quick sketch would be great if you do not mind.

Attachments

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve6x6x6 - could you draw up the dimensions for your tool you used for the Planetary gear clearance check? I would like to get one made prior to tearing apart my noisy front axle. A quick sketch would be great if you do not mind.
I have not forgotten your request. I will try and get it posted tonight. This tool is all ready obsolete, i use something else now.

steve6x6x6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is the drawing i whipped up. I have many leftover drive caps so i put some of them in the saw and faced them off in the lathe. I use these now to clamp down the cross pin. Place one pinion gear at 6:00 o'clock to check your clearance. The other 3 are have Gravity on them and will give you a false measurement. I need to make it clear, i am not selling anything, these are ideas for you to use. I do not have the time to run to UPS every day.

Attachments

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow! That is awesome! I would have never thought of that. I attempted to use a piece of precision flat stock bolted across the base to get the depth measurement like in the TM. But that method does not count in gear wear or variances in machining. Your way of actual gear lash is much more precise. If you had an extra one for sale I would be interested. Or else I may be shopping for a cap and have a machine shop make one for me.

agazza2

Thank you for taking the time to draw up the plans for the tool. Since the caps are not readily available, I will have my machinist make the tool for now. Your new method is definitely a more precise way of getting these measurements. I will also try to have something like that made with possibly 4 caps.

Your expertise is greatly appreciated as it seems that many M1078 members are having noise from their front axles. I have been able to find all the parts to rebuild mine, so looking forward to getting this done and having a quiet front axle without the worry of something going bad.

coachgeo

Here is the drawing i whipped up. I have many leftover drive caps so i put some of them in the saw and faced them off in the lathe. I use these now to clamp down the cross pin. Place one pinion gear at 6:00 o'clock to check your clearance. The other 3 are have Gravity on them and will give you a false measurement. I need to make it clear, i am not selling anything, these are ideas for you to use. I do not have the time to run to UPS every day.
Considering making one and wondering if there would be any value to making it a 4 pronged cross instead as was done previous. Waste of time? Possible value?

800summit

I got it, I made my own, took the 3-7/8 socket cut it in half and welded a 4" piece of pipe in between the socket and the 3/4 square drive. even painted it black to match the factory paint.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Steve, any idea what would make the ctis seal on a front hub continually fail? Ctis control box is disconnected, but still have all wheel hardware on. I only have 50 miles on the one I just put in, and now again have gear oil all over the wheel and drum again.... on a side note, do you know where I could find a hub cover to make your gear lash tool? Since I will be taking it all apart again.....

edit: Found and bought a hub kit with the cover included.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks