• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M211 crew cab crusade

ThumperTDC

Got a little more painting done. Just have the hood, grill, roof and around the windshield left.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

For some reason it uploaded the pictures in the reverse order.

in talking with my son (the one painting) that it would be cool to put a decepticon emblem on the grill and he proceeds to tell me that there was an army truck decepticon. So I do a search and come up with this:

image.jpg

The he original bumble bee wasn't a Camaro so I think this will work.

ThumperTDC

Pulled out "Onslaught" this afternoon to tweak the front bumper back the best we could without applying heat to it

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

And the instagram edit

image.jpg

Still have the roof, hood, grill, bumper and gas tank to paint, then it's intake and exhaust gaskets, extend the stack and swap the tires and wheels with one of the other trucks and then should be good to go for the holiday light parade.

Last edited:

ThumperTDC

Pulled the intake and exhaust manifold to install new gaskets in hopes to resolve the intake and exhaust leaks. Was hoping to get it all buttoned up today, but that didn't happen. Ended up rigging it up for some machining. The previous owner tried to fix the cracked manifold and in that lies the problem.

https://instagram.com/p/-N6U6mGvcq/

Last edited:

snowyrivers

Oh yeah buddy.

And guess who's job it is to try and salvage this cast iron mess :mrgreen:

Getting some stuff rigged up on the Bridgeport was an exercise is craftiness and a dash of "Rube Goldberg" tossed in to make it taste good.

The previous owner as Thumper mentioned, ahhhh yeah buddy.

The exhaust manifold is so badly cracked and then the P O brazed it up and OMG what a mess.

Got the thing SORT of leveled up on the mill table and then tied it down with the flange against the table.

Took a light clean up cut on the two end ears to give us a place to set it up from.

Flipped it over and set it on two machined chunks of pipe to make the thing as close to level as it was gonna be.

Then we started cutting on it with the 4 inch carbide cutter.

Finally got it FAIR.

The intake is fine, but the exhaust is a total train wreck.

BUTTT, it will gitterdone until we can scare up a good one.

Go to clean up the head while Thumper is off getting the two young ones and discover that the steel locating rings that locate the intake were left in the battery tray by the P O

ALL BENT UP I might add.

So tomorrows job is to make new locator rings and then indicate and bore the intake ports down to make up for what we cut off during the "Freshening"

We did get a factory gasket set though, and that helps.

So gonna replace a couple studs and make two large washers that clamp the manifold on at the second stud from each end, as they seem to have gone missing.

The poor condition of this entire manifold assembly is sad, as had it been helped some years ago it would be far better today.

From what I hear the jets in the carb need to be swapped for slightly larger ones to help cool the exhaust temps down.

Another issue I'm told is that it's common that the ignition advance gets stuck, or the vacuum line plugs up.

Will worry about that once we can keep it running smoothly.

Was a real workout today for sure.

Glad to have the mill and the lathe in our shop, would have been a no go without it.

More from either Thumper or me as soon as we gitterdone and running again.

Keep the faith troops

Last edited:

snowyrivers

Wed the 18th

Got on the phone when NAPA store opened and got those guys hot on the trail for a set of the locating rings for the intake manifold (These are 1-3/4" diameter split ring approx .400" long and fit in a machined area in the intake port and the intake manifold)

A standard way to locate the manifolds on these 6 cyl beasts.

The smaller engines such as the 235 and 270 normally use a 1-7/16" ring of similar design.

The 302 uses the large port manifold.

Re-setup the manifold and deepened the counter bores to make up for the material we cut off.

Decided that factory fresh locator (Alignment) sleeves would be better since they were available.

Fact is, these can be made from pretty much any thin wall (>.060") steel or aluminum tubing that is 1.750" diameter.

The function of these is simply to solidly locate the intake manifold. and with the exhaust fastened to it the entire assembly is located.

The end holes on the exhaust manifold are a fair bit larger than the 3/8" studs they go over, plus the entire assembly is held on by a combination of oval clamps and round washers with nuts on them.

With this type of fastening system the intake stays solidly anchored and the exhaust can expand and contract a bit with heat.

These were marked with a part number "FS-926"

Not sure if this number is anything more than an aftermarket number.

These can be found online readily.

I'm sure Thumper will be along with more pics as he plans on getting the beast back together today.

Snowy

USMC 00-08

Let me know the locating ring part numbers when you get them. That would be good to add to the list.

Is the FS-926 number for the oval clamps? Can you post a link where you found them? Another good thing to add to the spreadsheet!!

USMC 00-08

Was the NAPA part number the same? I can't get anything to come up on their website with that number.

Good find! I will add it to the part spreadsheet this evening.

snowyrivers

I ordered it over the phone.

They got it in from somewhere in town (Portland)
That is not a NAPA number

We may have to snoop farther to get a manufacture on these.

Burt the link I left does connect to a good source.

I would certainly recommend anyone who it doing an refits to buy a set along with a gasket set too.

Felpro makes the gaskets.

snowyrivers

Thumper got here about an hour and a half ago and is getting the manifold and goodies bolted back onto the beast.

His time is limited tonight, but I'll bet he gets it close.

Good bet he will be along with some pix, maybe later.

Carry on troops

snowyrivers

Thumper mentioned that the thing was still running fast, but at least it does not require half choke and painstaking effort to keep the old girl running.

My thought at this point is that the previous owner/s had messed with the idle speed screw on the carb over the years trying to compensate for the issues caused by the leaking manifold.

Thinking that a tweak of the idle stop screw will get the old girl chuckling along at a decent idle speed.

Sunday is supposed to be a nice day, and we can get the Widdle beast out and have a peek see.

Considering what we had to work with on the manifolds, life is light years from where we started.

WE have a brand new (Old stock) intake manifold that I scared up the other day, but the search is on for a new old stock exhaust manifold.

Fact is, of the literal thousands of spare parts that were made and warehoused, there has to be some new in the box manifolds sitting somewhere. (Here is hoping to find one)

I have a line on a "good" used set, but we shall see.

More news to follow soon.

A foot note here.

It's been fun watching the enthusiasm of the oldest grand son as he gets involved with this relic of a bygone era. :goodjob:

Such a great thing to watch.

What a concept, a vehicle that runs and drives, and does not need a computer to operate it, oh and let's not forget "IT DOES NOT HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT" :):) to irritate.

ThumperTDC

Spent the majority of the day yesterday swapping tires and wheels between two trucks as the tires on one where better than the ones that are on the drive able truck. Needless to say I am pretty sore today.

image.jpg

snowyrivers

Thumper was off catching up on honey dooooo's and things, so I get the call to check the antifreeze and make any needed changes as we got some cold weather coming soon.

We had bought some green juice yesterday but daylight and ambition left us.

I drained out a gallon and a half of the slop that was in there and added a gallon of full strength green, then topped off with 50/50.

Should be sweet now without worries.

Trying to do coolant things in the cold sucks.
Far better to get it done while we can get stuff running.

Warmed the beast up for 30 minutes. :-D

Last edited:

ThumperTDC

So while surfing eBay last night I came across this beast. Other than being a lot newer, this is pretty close to what I have been envisioning for the quadra deuce, other than this one is bobbed.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks