• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Obvious differences between engines

RaggedyMan

Is there some obvious way I can tell which engine is in my deuce (LDT-465-1c, LDT-1d or LDS) without taking it apart? I've searched several posts about the differences but I'm looking for something like "The canibler pin in the encabulator is truncated on the 1C and not on the 1D". I've read about some differences on internal parts but nothing externally that would help identification. I'm not even sure this is something I need to know unless, or until I break something, but I want to know. And, are all engine parts the same no matter which (of the 3 I think) engine manufacturers built it, like the IP or injectors?

In lieu of answering those questions how bout this one: What could I use to remove the paint on the engine tag without removing the "printed" info on the tag?

The King Machine

1c and 1d have an obvious difference in sound while running. 1c will whistle. As far as removing the paint off the tag, I gave it a light sanding. Then grabbed a piece of paper and a pencil. lay the paper over the tag and run the pencil over it, you should be able to see something. My tag was a pressed style.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine designation has nothing to do with whisteling, the turbo does that.

The whisteling turbo is often incorrectly) referred to as a "C" turbo.

Under the exhaust manifold, there should be a data plate with your engine info.

All the engine parts are interchangeable ( for the most part)

RaggedyMan

At least we're starting to narrow it down now, the starter is on the passenger side........so I probably have a Deuce and a half. :naner:

Pictures I've seen of the engine data plate had some stamped info but the engine type was printed which is what concerns me. I should've checked closer when I was changing the turbo.

Katahdin

I have two 1Ds and strangely enough they are casted differently, its most noticeable around the area of the water pump. One is more rounded, the other more square. Both are Continentals.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have two 1Ds and strangely enough they are casted differently, its most noticeable around the area of the water pump. One is more rounded, the other more square. Both are Continentals.
Id be willing to bet one is a TD block and one isnt.

Katahdin

Here's a pic of a Hercules D/TD block that also shows some shape variation. It has the same part number as my square'd off Continental block.

IMG_27462.JPG

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I find that interesting. Now you have me thinking about starting a thread showing pics from that reference point, included info required should be Manufacturer, motor number, and any other relevant motor make info.

I was amazed at the differences in just a plain old TD block to a non-TD block. Maybe this new thread could give us more insight to whats under our hoods...

RaggedyMan

I post this to help future seekers of knowledge because I assume (yes, I know);

There is not a known way to tell the difference between these two engines.

I very often read through thread after thread, post after post only to find.........nothing, no closure, no "I finally figured it out and here's how I fixed it", nothing. Well by golly I'm not gonna let that happen in my threads.
Having said that I will say, without you guys I'd be in real trouble with some of this stuff.

rustystud

Considering there where four engine manufacturers over a 36 year period of time with several modifications along the way. Trying to nail down just a couple of differences will be rather difficult. Not saying it can't be one, just difficult.

JDToumanian

I'd try Jabsco or Kleen Strip paint stripper before sand paper. My engine's data plate is printed with some kind of chemical treatment, not paint, so the stripper *probably* won't remove it... The stripper will *probably* blister off the paint and leave the data plate unharmed.

Jon

tommys2patrick

It might be good to mask off around the data plate to keep surrounding areas from losing paint. A gentle/diluted stripper might be a reasonable approach till you see how caustic it is on the etching, stamping, chemically plated, paint and metals.

Kwaligura

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My 76 has a white engine in it. Tag on it says it's a 73 engine and it has a 77mm stroke. My 70 has a Hercules engine in it build tag says 10-91 with a 74mm stroke. I'm wondering if the cranks are different or a misprint. The 76 will whip the 70s rear end but the fdc isn't bypassed yet. Fuel screws are close to being the same. Both have been cranked up. The 76 will pull a hill only dropping one gear with 5 ton of gravel in the bed. The 70 I have to downshift 2 gears on the same hill empty. Any insight would be appreciated.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks