• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

A neglected v 100

plasmacutter

I finally found time to post some pictures of my project, she is a 1969 XM 706 E2,

as far as I can tell with my research her career ended at a military base on patrol.

her trans ended up with a broken fork, and that's when she became a parts truck.

rear 3rd members or chunks were removed, starter, axles, bits and pieces missing, oh yea she was also a rusty, dirty, greasy

mess and the list kept growing, I have been diligent in going to shows making friends and most important listening

to the wisdom and advice of you "that have been where I am going" , I have been able to find most of the original parts,

it has been quite a treasure hunt. DSC02074.jpgDSC04454.jpgDSC04097.jpgDSC04029.jpgDSC04075.jpgDSC04069.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A worthy project, you have a labour of love ahead of you! Keep us updated as you progress, please.

If it's any consolation, many of the currently restored ones looked as bad or worse when they began the process.

I've sent you a PM about parts and pieces. I'm sure the other V guys will too.

Cheers

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it the glass that's expensive? If so, why?
As with just about all post war US Armor I know off, the periscopes and glass vision blocks are expensive because they are rare in good condition

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is it the glass that's expensive? If so, why?
The folks who make custom armoured glass are very proud of their work!

The blocks themselves are made of 13 layers of glass and plastic. Most original vision blocks have de-laminated inside with age, they become almost impossible to see through (think pool of muddy water), so new ones have to be made.

Cheers

dk8019

If I am ever lucky enough to have a piece of armor, and need vision blocks, I would have them made of very thick polycarb, cut on a water jet machine. We have a nice one here at work and it can cut on angles etc, so I'm sure it would make short work of 2-4" polycarb or lexan. It might not be as bullet proof as the original, but I bet it would be quite close.

HASSON1911

Dang now im torn i dont know if i want wheel armor or track armor, transportation asides it'll always be moved by trailer over major distances. This is an awesome find i would jump on it in a heart beat!!

dmetalmiki

It need not be bullet proof anyway. Fantastic project there, My hat is raised to you. Please keep us up to date on progress with pictures.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dang now im torn i dont know if i want wheel armor or track armor, transportation asides it'll always be moved by trailer over major distances. This is an awesome find i would jump on it in a heart beat!!
Big advantage with wheeled armor is driving to local events or, even if shipped, being able to drive in a parade or just down the street to Sonic. If I get the Goat (I know it's not armor) fixed by Veteran's Day I'll be driving it about 45 miles each way for a parade as the wife's M37 will be taking up our only trailer.

HASSON1911

Big advantage with wheeled armor is driving to local events or, even if shipped, being able to drive in a parade or just down the street to Sonic. If I get the Goat (I know it's not armor) fixed by Veteran's Day I'll be driving it about 45 miles each way for a parade as the wife's M37 will be taking up our only trailer.
see and that's the big thing right there my town is 10 miles away, that's a "long" distance for a steel or rubber track vehicle on asphalt, i believe i dont actually know but as far as wear and tear goes for both track and roa , where something like this v100 could do quite manageable i believe.

plasmacutter

Thanks to my steel soldiers family for making me feel comfortable, if I have to call for advice.

I am a 110 % type A when it comes to mechanical things , I don't cut corners I will do my best to make all of my military friends proud,

and honor this piece of military history.

To me the hardest part was finding a V !!!

I was lucky the transfer case is perfect other than missing the breather,

the trans on the other hand not so good, the top cover was removed in the early 80s and the barn roof leaked.

here are some pictures of the top coming off, speedo, winch t-case,

Attachments

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can I ask where this V100 came from? There was one in a Mass Junkyard a few years ago. Not sure if this is the same one.

plasmacutter

thanks again guys, I cant remember how much I paid for it, that's what I tell my wife.

This V came from the south , I don't think it was ever in mass. I have a lot of detailed pictures of

each piece including up grades, and machine work, before and after.

HASSON1911

thanks again guys, I cant remember how much I paid for it, that's what I tell my wife.

This V came from the south , I don't think it was ever in mass. I have a lot of detailed pictures of

each piece including up grades, and machine work, before and after.
Smart man cant be guilty of spending too much if you can't remember!

plasmacutter

some progress engine and trans removed, the hull is on stands every removable thing out, springs at the spring shop,

shackles getting ready to have bronze bushings sized and fitted. cracked open the new engine in a can, underneath needs a good sandblasting,

took apart the rears all the machined surfaces look good a mic will verify that, the front axle bushings and seals are shot in the cardan joint, I have plans for them

to be improved, note on the axle picture the taped port going into the top of the housing this was to have air pumped in creating a small positive pressure

in the u joint ball to keep water from getting in Cadillac used the mechanical fuel pump to make pressure, 1 of a few mods Cadillac gage made to the Rockwell 2.5 ton

Attachments

plasmacutter

this was a month ago, sandblasting my favorite part taking that old crud and making it clean again.

after this weekend I felt like I was making Progress, an upward turning point, all sealed up with epoxy

now its drivetrain bench work,

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks