• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Back up beeper for a larger MVs.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
For some reason I don't think a backup alarm would have helped when I back a Frankentruck into a telephone pole in my yard.

:-(

The pole didn't even move when I did hit it, beeper or no.

saddamsnightmare

October 2nd, 2015.

MyothersanM1:

What is a wet tank? Is it an item that is usually hydrostated to check the integrity (which should be done to our air brake service and emergency reservoirs every few years to ensure their safe operation).

I did not know that Graham White made a metering flow control, but you look like you have it in a five ton. Good solution, most guys hide the air horn in the frame, otherwise they tend not to stick around long (especially Super-typhons of off older locomotives). Try that with a Super Typhon 5 chime, not stacked, you might not be able to close your hood down with it mounted there. Most state troopers will cite a truck for using a locomotive horn in most states, as their tones are distinctive and are intended for use on locomotive (only). However WABCO makes a very nice trombone whistle in brass that nobody will confuse with a locomotive whistle (they were used on trolleys and electric locomotives).

https://youtu.be/GzLAGYBbkRI

You might have gotten a better effect in less space under your hood with a Nathan Airchime KS-1, they were used on many first generation roadswitchers diesels, it had one note (not particularly melodious) and can be heard for about 3 miles on a still wind day.....

And here's a WWII US Army Whitcomb locomotive and the Wanamaker, Kempton & Southern RR in Pa.

https://youtu.be/dhNkjE2g6vo

And, off the subject, a U.S. Navy YTL light passing a drawbridge, looks like a civilian owned WWII vessel....

https://youtu.be/Z3nRuI_fcug
Have a Great Evening!:shock:

Last edited:

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
saddamsnightmare:

The "wet tank" is formally known as the supply tank in an air brake system. It is the tank plumbed to receive air directly (often through an air dryer) from the compressor.

The Graham-White valve I have is the classic manual valve as opposed to the "all-or-nothing" electric valves found in most newer locomotives. I call it a metering valve because you can vary than the air volume thus metering or playing the horn like a musical instrument. It's mounted to the side of the driver's seat springer base with a cut-out valve in my M818

I use my horn frequently and have never been called out on it. It has a real knack of getting errant drivers' attention ;) Just ask that guy in the new Dodge Challenger that almost tasted my bumper.

I love the trombone horn and it is very distinctive. It has very rich history here in So. Cal. It was the horn of choice on the Pacific Electric Railway.

I have always been partial to the Nathan P3 as it was the ubiquitous call of Southern Pacific Railroad. Growing up in So. Cal., you couldn't help but let it be part of the experience. I thought I would just keep the tradition going.

Great videos! That Whitcomb switcher looks and sounds great!

saddamsnightmare

October 5th, 2015.

MyothersanM1:

Understood on the tank and valve units. The metering valve is a conventional Graham White engineers valve with the brass handle. Most older locomotives had the valves mounted against either the roof or front wall of the cabs and used a "J" shaped valve handle with an eye, so that the rope could be run through a pulley and down to an eye bolt on top of the control(ler) stand. Often we had two (2) horns with valves and cords, one for "Town" use, softer then a road horn; and then the "Road" horn, usually much louder, more strident, often with more notes to form a 3, 5, or 6 chime note.

The KS-1 by Nathan that I remarked to you earlier is a unit with one note, cast aluminum body and diaphragm cover, extremely loud and very harsh, as they were either used on first generation units in pairs (one facing forward, one facing rearward) or as only one horn on a switcher, usually mounted to the front cab wall or on top of the hood. Westinghouse and the Leslie Company made similar units under different names, I bought mine new in 1974 for about $60.00, when a new Westinghouse Trombone ran about $40.00 in Brass. WABCO will still manufacture the Trombone or Clarion whistles (probably in brass), but I will bet the price has gone up considerably. That's the nice thing about WABCO, they will make anything new that they ever made in the catalogs, you just pay highly for it.:eek:

Have a Great Morning!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks