• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

7th times the charm?

74M35A2

I have a set of new XZL's off the 923A2 donor truck and a rear Marine axle assembly with a Detroit.

Also, as it turns out, a 923 Radiator will fit well in the <Jim> nose... feel like we're carving up a buffalo here ;).

Did you know that a Bluebird Bus air to air inter-cooler fits well in the nose of the 939 series? Plan is, a bigger turbo (HX40), turn up the fuel and get more cooler air into this puppy. My younger brother is a Cummins tech, so it will be done well.
The 6CTA8.3 already comes with an HX40 turbo. Next step would be HX50, HX52, or HX55. I'd say HX50 if auto trans. But, an HX40 can make a lot of intake boost. I think some people are nearly at 40psi or so. I'd reference the drive pressure (exhaust side) before just swapping it out. Any pics of this bus intercooler in place (bus model/intercooler part number)? I have been waiting for somebody to spec one that fits decently enough to use. I even went with a roof mounted A/C condenser unit to keep the radiator front open just for an intercooler.

Thanks.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
This will take a while to build... as I have a few in front of it.

JeepNasty and I have been swapping trucks around for a year or so. I love the 8.3L Cummins, so I bought a M931 winch truck from JN as an engine donor for a friend's project... well, since it's a running, driving winch truck, I have issues taking it apart. One of the projects in front of it is Diamond Jim, a 1958 Diamond <T> 923 tractor. My friends have taken to calling it <Jim>.
View attachment 584333

We're putting it on a 278' wheel base Peterbuilt 379 low air leaf Chassis and building a very large sleeper behind it, so it looks a bit like this:

View attachment 584334

Which of course, leaves a quandary... what do I do with the clean winch truck that has a PTO on it and the boom/winch from <Jim>?

I have a wrecker, but she's a very heavy pig. I have a friend that could use a heavy off road recovery rig. Heck, I could use one too... at least I tell myself that.

So, the plan is:

Bob the axle, use spare front and rear air ride I have, add the rear winch, Dayton hydraulic set up with boom from <Jim>, intercool the Cummins and turn it up a bit. Should be a fun little ride.

Oh, here's the truck:
View attachment 584335

I ended up buying another one of JN's trucks, a cargo truck with a rotted cab. That engine and trans is going into a 1950 <T>... probably turn the bed into a dump trailer that can haul cars behind this.
What a SHAME to carve up the DT, that is a classic in its own right, Does the DT have a weighted front bumper as a counter weight for the rear lift.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks