• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Tan M151A2s?

kubotaman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Were M151A2s ever painted tan while in US Army service? I know some in private hands are sand but I wasn't sure if the Military ever did that. By Desert Storm, everything was HMMWV.

F18hornetM

Pretty cool pics. I never saw one sand colored. All ours were desert camo or green camo -[USMC 1982-1986] 2 of those years in 29 palms. Just goes to show you with military vehicles, anything is possible. :-o

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are always exceptions. If it can be done, some soldier or Marine has.

The original question here was specifically Army M151s. In the Marines, we often applied temporary colour schemes to fit wherever the vehicles were going. I remember buying water-based paint at a hardware store in San Clemente to paint some M151s and M880s tan for an exercise at 29 Stumps, c1980. The water-based paint washed off easily with a pressure washer after the exercise/deployment.
Unfortunately, I didn't take a lot of pictures back then. Film/processing was expensive on the salary we made.

Cheers

F18hornetM

Great video.. All the old equipment does look cool. I was in Cuba at the time and we sent some equipment there. Of which we really didn't have to spare! Never got it back at least while I was there.
Your right M813Rc wish I had taken more pics. I worked with the controlling group for 2 years for all live fire exercises in 29 palms and had a million opportunities for really cool pics..Armor, trucks, arty, air strikes etc
Thanks for all the pictures

And, gotta admit, it may not be armored, but the M151's were sure handy for everything:p

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks